If you love strawberry shortcake as much as I do, then tomorrow is a special day for us. June 14th is officially National Strawberry Shortcake Day! And the folks at Driscoll’s have asked Dorie Greenspan to create an incredible shortcake recipe to celebrate!
If you saw the photo I posted last month, you might remember that I was one of a handful of bloggers to participate in a Google Hangout on Air with Ms. Dorie. We chatted for about an hour and she let us in on several of her baking secrets (a few of which I’ve listed below).
- Buttermilk biscuits should be light, as to taste the berries and cream as the top notes.
– Add lemon zest directly to the sugar and work it in with your hands, so that it’s fragrance is used to it’s full ability.
– Any metal cutters with a high, clean edge (and not serrated) will do. Be forceful, but cut straight down and don’t twist! Lift straight up to remove each biscuit from the dough.
– Check your baking powder and make sure the expiration date hasn’t passed.
– Use extremely cold cream and butter for the best results.
– When cutting the butter into the flour, your hands are the best tool! Work until pieces are the size of oatmeal or small peas.
Driscoll’s is 4th-generation family owned, where teams of people work specifically with each of the four berries grown on property: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. And while Dorie was visiting Driscoll Ranch, she tasted twelve different variations of the strawberry. Twelve! Can you believe it?
We also learned that strawberries are family members to the rose. And since their flavor notes are so similar, rose extract pairs beautifully with the berries in Dorie’s newest dessert recipe. These shortcakes are anything but ordinary, thanks to the pink tint of the whipped cream and subtle floral flavor in the biscuits.
Even though the recipe seems long, it really isn’t. A few of the steps can be completed hours or even a day before serving. So, start on these today, throw a picnic tomorrow and serve these to celebrate National Strawberry Shortcake Day!
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Driscoll’s in the form of product & coupons; however, the photography & opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author.