French Fridays with Dorie – Sugar-Crusted French Toast

by Jessica on November 29, 2013

Sugar-Crusted French Toast by http://mybakingheart.com

I remember getting up early every year on the day after Thanksgiving to go shopping with my mom and her friend, Sharon. I wasn’t even a teenager then, but it was always a fun day. We’d leave the men at home to nap on the couch and watch football, while we hit the sales, lunched and scored some amazing deals.

These days, I steer clear of the barricades, tents and 3am call times. It’s become way too much, way too early. But, if you’re one that’s taking a break in between those Black Friday shopping excursions, then this post is for you. I’ll even make it short and sweet. Very sweet, in fact.

We enjoyed this ‘French Fridays with Dorie’ recipe for breakfast yesterday morning. And it’s definitely a dish I’m thankful for… the crackly, sugar-coated edges and soft, pillowy centers. It’s an indulgent treat, and one that will give you just enough energy to hit one more sale.

Sugar-Crusted French Toast by http://mybakingheart.com

The recipe can be found here or in the book below and for a list of this week’s participants, check out the FFwD ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post!

#168 – Sugar-Crusted French Toast (pg. 418)

1 EmilyC November 29, 2013 at 10:49 am

OMG Bacon!!!! and so makes Dorie’s french toast such great breakfast fare!

2 Tricia S. November 29, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I am so with you on how great this dish was. Loved it. I think I lucked out with the particular bread I used and the sugar, and will pay attention next time to make sure I get similar, I actually made this for dessert one evening to ensure we did not disrupt the Black Friday sales in the morning, as horrible as that sounds. We normally live by a mall that is so large that helicopters hover over the BF sales and you could not pay me enough to join in the frenzy. We are in a small town this week that happens to have Premium Outlets (the name does crack me up) and there are very few who venture out at the 6 am opening. It actually makes it very fun. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving ~And great shots of that French Toast. YUM.

3 Liz November 29, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Beautiful photos, Jessica! And I definitely agree with you about Black Friday. A good day to stay home!

4 Betsy November 29, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I’d definitely choose eating this deluxe version of French toast over Black Friday shopping, any way you look at it. Looks delicious, Jessica!

5 Karen November 29, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Lovely sweet post Jessica! We didn’t go to one store today but enjoyed this recipe too! 🙂

6 Ei November 30, 2013 at 6:42 am

You couldn’t pay me to go to the store on Black Friday. I hate malls on a normal day. lol Your french toast looks beautiful (and I love the plate it’s on.)

7 Cher November 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Friday was definitely a day to stay home (we didn’t venture out until dinner hour).
Looks beautiful!

8 Geraldine Saucier November 30, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Loved this dish. It was a great breakfat. Yours looks delicious.

9 yummychunklet December 2, 2013 at 10:22 am

Looks delicious!

10 Mary Hirsch December 2, 2013 at 10:50 pm

So far you are the only Dorista that also served bacon with this very rich French toast. Ahhhh, youth. I would error on the side of Pain Perdu over trying to negotiate Black Friday crowds everytime. While I prefer the plain French toast that my Mom always made, this version is delicious and a dish I will pull out for special occasions. Nice post.

11 Teresa December 24, 2013 at 3:12 am

I enjoyed this as a dessert, but your shot with the bacon is making me think that this might make a good breakfast after all!