TWD: Baking With Julia – Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Jessica on March 19, 2013

Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies from My Baking Heart

You know those cookies you can smell a mile away? Yeah, those. The ones courtesy of Great American Cookies, those sinful storefronts in malls (and now cookie trucks!) across the country. Well, I’ve always had an affinity for them, even knowing how awfully bad they are for me. And what I didn’t realize until this week is that this Dorie recipe produces an almost-exact replica of those cookies.

Not only did they taste the same – chewy, sweet, salty and out-of-this-world – but they looked just like them… layer upon layer (upon layer) of pure goodness. What I didn’t expect, was the (cookie) monster I had unleashed after these had come out of the oven. My best decision was to omit the chopped apricots. However, this only led me to eat about 1/2 a dozen of them for dessert one night (shhh, don’t tell my Weight Watchers app!). Fortunately, I can jump back on that wagon. These cookies are what Weekly Points were made for, of course.

Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies from My Baking Heart

Peggy of Galettista is our sweet hostess this round. Hop on over to her blog for the original recipe and for a list of Doristas who baked along this week, check out the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post over on TWD!

Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies (pg. 330)
Source: Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan

Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies from My Baking Heart

1 Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} March 19, 2013 at 8:25 am

Sounds like a lot of people had a problem with extremely flat cookies but yours turned out beautifully! Love, love your pictures, glad to bake with you!

2 Ckay March 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

Finally… I’ve been here this morning but the post wasn’t published yet and I just couldn’t stop mouth watering…

Your cookies look great and I’m sure, if Weight Watcher knew, they would ask for more!
(I’ve substituted part of the butter with plain yogurh… great point reduction ;-)! PS: Let’s forget about the addition of nuts. At least their fat is healthy…LOL)

3 smarkies March 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

Your turned out great! I left out the apricots as well as it seemed a little too left field for my tastes.

4 Katrina March 19, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Though I made some high altitude adjustments (like more flour and less sugar), and I used cocoa instead of coffee, and like others, left out the apricots, these really did turn out to be great cookies AND I definitely ate/have been eating more of them than I should. Yes, back on the treadmill I go!
Your look great!

5 Marlise March 19, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Your pictures really show the cookies well. They look deliciously perfect on your page.

6 yummychunklet March 19, 2013 at 2:15 pm

These did smell amazing! Yum!

7 saucy gander March 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Great looking cookies! Mine morphed into something different….but equally delicious. Gotta love baking.

8 Carie March 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Your cookies look great! They did smell good while baking, didn’t they? Yum!

9 Alicia March 19, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I was right there with you with the half a dozen one night;) oops

10 Tasha @ Homemade March 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

What type of chocolate did you use? Your cookies came out perfect. New fan here 🙂 Love your blog!!!

11 Jessica March 19, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Hi Tasha! Always great to meet a new reader! I used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet baking chips. If you stick around long enough, you’ll come to find I’m quite the dark chocolate lover. 🙂

12 spike March 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Those look beautiful! I’ve probably eaten half a dozen myself!!

13 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen March 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I found them irresistible too, and gave them away as soon as I can! They look gorgeous Jessica! And don´t worry, we won´t tell WW…

14 SandraM March 19, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Great looking cookies! I did love them. I even loved the dough raw. (shhh) I put the rest of my dough in the freezer for later urges. 😉

15 Cher March 19, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Yes, these cookies were made for points!
Love these!

16 Amanda March 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm

The look great! I am trying to avoid mine right now, but they are calling my name. I left out the apricots too. Maybe one day, I’ll be brave and try them. Maybe not.

17 Dawn March 19, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I won’t tell your secret!! I think if these weren’t mocha flavored, I’d have done the exact same thing. 🙂

18 TheKitchenLioness March 20, 2013 at 2:29 am

Jessica – so nice to see that you are back and your Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies look divine – this was indeed a wonderfully delicious recipe and you are certainly right about the wonderful smell eminating from the oven while they were baking!
Have a great Wednesday!

19 Kathy March 20, 2013 at 6:15 am

I am putting these on hold for a few weeks. My husband is on South Beach. Your cookies are gorgeous and they sound so delicious!! I finally got my croissants posted!

20 Monica March 20, 2013 at 7:50 am

Jessica, your pictures are so beautiful! Were these not awesome cookies? I stood over the stove devouring cookie after cookie as I was supposedly transferring them from the baking sheet to a cooling rack. Funny thing is, I did not feel guilty about it at all! 🙂

21 Monica March 20, 2013 at 11:23 am

The apricot didn’t appeal to me either – I can’t imagine anything would make them taste any better! These are addictive – I ate too many. Your cookies look amazing!

22 Inge and Gillian March 20, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Love your photos. Happy that yours turned out so well.

23 Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories March 20, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Your photo is fabulous and your cookies look perfect! I had to take half of mine to work and give a dozen to my son to “get these addicting things out of my house!”

24 Elaine March 21, 2013 at 12:27 am

Did you say cookie trucks?! Oh, boy, am I in trouble if I happen to run into one of those! Your cookies look fantastic, Jessica. So glad that you enjoyed them – I ate three before I even realized it!

25 Mel March 21, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Your cookies look beautiful!!!! Glad you enjoyed them so much!!!
It’s true, they are very good: great texture, and great unique flavor !!! With some changes (for my taste) definitely a keeper !!!

26 Cathy B March 22, 2013 at 5:24 am

I didn’t include the apricots either. It just didn’t sound good to me. I just can’t resist cookies. I can ignore a cake sitting on the counter, but I’ll grab a cookie every time I walk into the kitchen.

27 jora March 22, 2013 at 9:58 am

These cookies were great, weren’t they? Definitely not an easy thing to stop eating! Reading your post has given me a craving for Mrs. Fields, definitely my favorite mall cookie 🙂

28 kitchen therapy March 23, 2013 at 5:00 am

These really were so easy to eat! And before you know it, you’ve eaten half a dozen!
Your photos look great!

29 Cathleen March 25, 2013 at 11:05 am

These are great cookies and yours look perfect! I did make them with the apricots and loved em!