TWD: Baking With Julia – Finnish Pulla

by Jessica on December 18, 2012

Finnish Pulla by My Baking Heart

If you’re looking to wow your Christmas crowd, then bake up this Finnish Pulla immediately. The rise time isn’t as long as most loaves and the rich & spicy scent of cardamom fills the entire house. It’s warm, fluffy and has a lovely crust, too. Bonus: the wreath’s just as beautiful on the dessert table as it is a hostess gift!

I subbed chopped pecans for the traditional sliced almonds, then green sparkling sugar for the pearl sugar. Gotta get a little festive, ya know. ;)

Finnish Pulla by My Baking Heart

Thanks to Erin of Daily Morsel for serving as hostess this go-round. To see a list of those who baked along this week, click over to the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post on TWD!

Finnish Pulla (pg. 106)
Source: Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan

1 Jessica @ Sunny Side Up December 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I love your festive additions!

2 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen December 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

That sure is a festive bread, nice colors Jessica! Wasn´t it wonderful? I loved it

3 Teresa December 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm

This bread is so perfect for Christmas. Pecans would be a nice addition.

4 janet December 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I love your substitutions… very festive indeed! I loved this recipe too especially the aroma of cardamom in the air.

5 Mel December 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Your Pulla looks wonderful!!
I love your christmas color on top!!!
It’s sur this is a perfect bread for this time and for christmas breakfast!
Happy Holidays!

6 smarkies December 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Your loaf looks particularly festive! Pecans were a good substitution.

7 Gretchen Noelle @ Provecho Peru December 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Very festive! Love the green sprinkles and pecans are one of my favorites! Looks just delicious! Happy Holidays!

8 Kathy December 18, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Gorgeous looking bread, Jessica! Very festive, I’m sure it wowed the crowd! Thanks for the card…lovely photo!!

9 Catherine Daugherty December 18, 2012 at 9:20 pm

This bread definitely makes for a festive addition to any table! Merry Christmas!

10 Cher December 19, 2012 at 4:38 am

Jessica – wow! What a fun way of decorating this.
Have a great week!

11 Andrea December 19, 2012 at 5:53 am

Jessica, I love the way your Finnish Pulla looks so festive with the green sparkling sugar. Colored sugar and pecans can be somewhat difficult to find around here but I do love the look of your wreath! And I could nor agree with you more, it ceratinly would wow any Christmas crowd. It is so nice to see that everyone seems to have enjoyed this recipe so much!

12 SandraM December 19, 2012 at 6:39 am

Good job making the bread festive. I loved this bread. And can’t wait to make it again. I like your substitution of pecans.

13 Liz December 19, 2012 at 10:42 am

I never even thought of using colored sugar…such a fun idea! Your braid is beautiful, Jessica!

14 Patty December 19, 2012 at 10:47 am

Beautiful bread Jessica- love the pecans, may be my favorite nut all time! ps. loved the wedding photo on your holiday card;-)

15 Ferda December 19, 2012 at 11:55 am

Definitely looks festive :) Great recipe, isn’t it.. Loved it..

16 carrian December 19, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I must live in a hole! I’ve never made this, but you better believe I will!! Oh, and ps, thank you so, so much for doing the day of remembrance. I hope it showed people everywhere, especially those affected that we love them and are standing with them no matter where we are. I sincerely believe that love is far more powerful than we realize.

17 Cathleen December 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Loved this bread! It does make a great addition to any special occasion feast. ~Happy Holidays!