TWD: Baking With Julia – Gingerbread Baby Cakes

by Jessica on December 4, 2012

Gingerbread Baby Cakes by My Baking Heart

With not a mini cake pan in sight, I decided to bring out one of my favorite Bundt pans in the collection… one that produces four adorable 2-1/4 cup Bundts! Toddler size, you might say. ;)

The recipe was straightforward, although I did worry that 2 full cups of molasses was entirely too much. Imagine my relief when the batter poured beautifully into the pan and not a drop was left. I ended up selling these in the Cookies for Kids’ Cancer exchange I held yesterday and their lucky recipients were thrilled. The gingerbread was moist and gave off a perfect peppery bite! Could this be my new go-to recipe??

Gingerbread Baby Cakes by My Baking Heart

Many thanks to Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories for hostessing this week! And for a list of participating gingerbread bakers, click over to the TWD ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post!

Gingerbread Baby Cakes (pgs. 247-248)
Source: Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan

Gingerbread Baby Cakes by My Baking Heart

1 Sara December 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Oh, my goodness, those little bundt cakes are adorable! This recipe certainly brought out the cuteness in gingerbread; I’ve seen so many pretty little cakes. I think these are my favorite though. Lovely job!

2 Janet December 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Your bundt cakes are gorgeous! I think your recipients were very lucky indeed!

3 Julia | JuliasAlbum.com December 4, 2012 at 2:28 pm

These mini bundt cakes look gorgeous! And you seem to have quite a few very cute bundt molds: every cake has a different shape! :)

4 Mel December 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Your cakes look so beautiful!!!!!!!! Glad you enjoyed the recipe, unfortunately these were not a hit for me: the taste was too strong, you are certainly right to reduce molasse!!!

5 Andrea December 4, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Jessica, your Gingerbread Baby Cakes look picture perfect – the fancy mini Bundt pans that you used are so incredibly pretty and the cakes have such a rich, dark color, I am sure that they tasted just incredible – what a worthy cause too!

6 Im At Home Baking December 4, 2012 at 3:27 pm

These are stunning and I am sure very yummy!!

7 smarkies December 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Those are some stunning looking little bundt cakes.
Glad you enjoyed the taste!

8 Judy December 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Gingerbread Baby Bundt Cakes. Wow. They are gorgeous.

9 Cher December 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Awwww. Your baby bundts totally rock!

10 SandraM December 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Umm your bundt cakes are totally adorable!!! Great pans. Glad they turned out so well for you.

11 Elaine December 4, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Your baby bundts are gorgeous!

12 Margaret December 4, 2012 at 8:03 pm

We DO have the same plate!!!! Love your bundts. I need to find that pan. I have one that makes 6 but they are too small sometimes. My go-to as well!!

13 ovenchaos December 4, 2012 at 10:49 pm

This is becoming my go-to recipe – we loved the cakes! Love your different shaped bundts!

14 Cakelaw December 5, 2012 at 5:15 am

Your cakes look very handsome, and I am so happy that you were able to raise money for a worthy cause by selling them. I loved this recipe too, although I subbed golden syrup for the molasses.

15 Mary Hirsch December 5, 2012 at 9:15 am

You went the mini-bundt route also but, Jessica, your bundts are cuter than my bundts. Love the heart. I thought this gingerbread was delicious and I actually love gingerbread. BUT, it has taken me three days to eat one mini-bundt (with whipped cream and peppermint candy topping) because it is so rich and filling. I am going to make these as gifties so I am happy to know that these sold well in your Kids’ Cancer exchange. You sound so happy, Jessica. Again, congratulations.

16 Inge and Gillian December 5, 2012 at 11:04 am

What beautiful bundt cake molds, especially the heart-shaped one. Loved making this recipe.

17 steph (whisk/spoon) December 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm

those are beauties! they released from the pans perfectly.

18 cindy December 6, 2012 at 12:48 am

They are beautiful, that’s for sure. I do love little pans. I feel better when I eat a little cake–as opposed to a big one! Control, control.

19 Dawn December 6, 2012 at 5:36 am

Oh great, now I *must* go buy some mini bundt pans!! Your cakes are ADORABLE!!!!

20 Kathy December 6, 2012 at 6:54 am

Jessica, Your little bundts look so pretty…very nicely presented! These cakes were a hit in my house, we really enjoyed them, too! I’m sure anyone who bought one of your cakes were in heaven!

21 Nicole @ The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie December 6, 2012 at 10:46 am

These are adorable – and I love that you put them in mini bundt pans! 2 full cups of molasses does seem like a lot, but I am sure it was perfect for a rich gingerbread taste!

22 Cathleen December 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm

So very cute! I felt the molasses was too overpowering; but these definitely have potential! I loved the texture of these cakes.

23 Catherine Daugherty December 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Oh my word! What a temptress you are — these are the absolutely most adorable cakes I have seen. Kudos! Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering to win Dorie’s book I am giving away! Blessings, Catherine