French Fridays with Dorie – Crispy, Crackly Apple-Almond Tart

by Jessica on October 12, 2012

Crispy, Crackly Apple-Almond Tart | http://mybakingheart.com

The title of this recipe is entirely spot on… and so correct, it’s quite grand.

I almost didn’t have a chance to make this beautiful tart, though. With only two weeks to go until the big day, I’m grasping on to any spare seconds that I can find. And while this recipe is fairly easy, it’s time consuming in the least. Eight paper-thin layers of phyllo dough are stacked together with melted butter and a fine sprinkle of sugar, then topped with dollops of custardy almond cream and thin slices of tart apples. Crispy, crackly, crunchy and sweet: there’s no better way to describe this heavenly treat.

As for the slightly burned edges… I attribute that to those seconds that seem to slip through my fingers. Just another reminder to keep my eyes on the oven and forget multi-tasking! :)

Crispy, Crackly Apple-Almond Tart | http://mybakingheart.com

Click over to today’s FFWD ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post for a round-up of my fellow bakers!

#109 -Crispy, Crackly Apple-Almond Tart (pgs. 458-459)

Crispy, Crackly Apple-Almond Tart | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Jenny Brunker October 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Looks incredible and any time fruits involved I like to think it’s more nutritious than the average dessert. I’m an especially big fan of apple desserts.

Congrats on the upcoming big day. It’ll be here before you know it, but try to enjoy the anticipation.

2 Rose October 12, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Wow, only 2 more weeks, you must be so excited! Wishing you all the best as you get ready for the big day. We’ll be thinking about you.

3 Andrea October 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Jessica, this is one very pretty apple tart – I love the layers of phyllo dough and the way the apple slices are arranged – so nicely done despite your busy schedule!

4 Geraldine Saucier October 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Lovely tart. It looks delicious:) I am impressed you found time to make it with your schedule. Great job.

5 Dessert By Candy October 12, 2012 at 2:28 pm

You are absolutely correct about the time consuming part! It was exactly why I shy away from phyllo and went for puff pastry instead. ;) What kind of apple did you use?

6 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen October 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm

My tart also got a bit too tanned on the edges. It looks wonderful Jessica! have a great weekend

7 Susan October 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Just beautiful, Jessica! You’re right – not difficult, but time-consuming.

I’m amazed you had the time to make it – best wishes as you approach your wedding day! xoxo

8 Adriana October 12, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I’m glad you found time to bake this tart – bet it made the pre-wedding multi-tasking that much sweeter.

Best wishes for these next two weeks. Remember that everything you are doing now is out of love and the desire to have the most wonderful and FUN time of your life with your sweetie, family and friends.

9 Margaret October 13, 2012 at 12:30 am

This apple dessert was so tasty and worth the time it took to butter/sugar the filo and slice the apples. Yours looks just fine to me.

10 Elaine October 13, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I can imagine that you have so much going on right now, Jessica, but what an exciting time for you. Extra done edges doesn’t hurt a bit – it looks fine!

11 Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks October 13, 2012 at 5:37 pm

All the best for your big day! Your tart and photographs are fantastic!!!

12 Kathy October 14, 2012 at 6:03 am

Jessica, I didn’t expect to see you till after the wedding…you are a very impressive lady! Your tart is gorgeous…absolutely delicious looking!
Elaine is right such an exciting time for you…enjoy every moment!

13 Maggie October 14, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Looks delicious! And I love your Meet the Baker photo – so cute! Congratulations on the upcoming big day!

14 Carie October 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Lovely photos! This was a nice, easy, tasty recipe, wasn’t it?

15 Cher October 14, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Beautifully done.
Don’t forget to breathe and enjoy these next couple of weeks. You’re almost there :-)

16 Betsy October 14, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Great job, Jessica! I actually find cooking relaxing, so it doesn’t surprise me that you could pull this one off with your wedding rapidly approaching. Wishing you the best on that!

17 Mary Hirsch October 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Your tart was just more crispy and crackly than ever and I, for one, love that taste. I wished mine had browned more. But on to more important things……. just cherish this time and love every moment and may your future be filled with happiness and good health. I will be thinking of you.

18 Teresa October 17, 2012 at 11:35 am

The browned edges look lovely, actually. I’m impressed that you were able to squeeze this in. Good luck with the last few weeks of planning!

19 Patty October 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Jessica, your tart looks delicious, isn’t it true that sometimes multi -tasking can get us in trouble in the kitchen;-)