French Fridays with Dorie – Cafe-Style Grated Carrot Salad

by Jessica on August 17, 2012

Cafe-Style Grated Carrot Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

A classic recipe. It’s made the rounds in cookbooks and on the blogosphere worldwide. It’s also one that is a year-round favorite on the paternal side of my family.

I can remember Mango whipping up this side dish for many a get-together. Whether it was a weeknight dinner with her and my grandfather, or Christmas Eve, with thirteen of us in the house, it didn’t matter. It paired great with whatever menu she was serving. And it was me, who was in charge of adding in the raisins. Why that was so special to me, I’ll never know, but it popped into my mind the minute I added these in just last week. A huge grin erupted and I ended up enjoying a big ‘ol bowl of this salad for dinner.

Cafe-Style Grated Carrot Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

Still don’t own the book and need the recipe? You’re in luck… Bon Appétit keeps it in their ‘Recipe Box’ for an occasion such as this! Just click here and it’s yours. And if you’re interested in seeing how the other Doristas spun this one, check out the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post over on FFwD!

#99 – Café-Style Grated Carrot Salad (pg. 107)

Cafe-Style Grated Carrot Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes August 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm

It´s nice when food brings back nice memories. A good salad considering its simplicity. Have a good weekend!

2 Kayte August 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh, it looks so pretty in that dish, and so retro…I always associate this salad with my grandmothers who both made it and served it in dishes they had had forever…I miss that, so it is fun to come here and see your take on in this beautiful little dish. I’m hoping to be back cooking at FFwD…I really dropped the ball by being away so long, hope to change that up a bit now.

3 yummychunklet August 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Delicious looking salad!

4 Geraldine Saucier August 17, 2012 at 4:55 pm

The salad looks delicious:) Glad it brought back great memories. Have a nice weekend!

5 Cakelaw August 17, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Your salad looks good Jess. I enjoyed its simplicity.

6 Kathy August 17, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Love your pretty salad served in that wonderful Jadeite bowl! Such a sweet memory. Your photos are lovely! This salad has been a family favorite in our family for many years! Have a great weekend, Jessica!

7 Liz August 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I back tracked and made last week’s recipe, but I think I’ll have to make this one up, too. Yours looks delish!

8 Susan August 18, 2012 at 11:06 am

We loved this one, Jessica. It’s not been a tradition in my family, but I can see that it will become one! Have a lovely weekend.

9 Mary Hirsch August 18, 2012 at 11:39 am

It’s always especially fun for me when a FFWD or TWD blogger relates a recipe to a family/friends story. And, you had a good one for carrot salad. Who knew raisins could be so important? I have made this salad before also and really enjoy it. Sadly I had to add the raisins myself ………no grandchildren around to help. But, next time they are here, I will make the salad and let them add the raisins. A new Hirsch family tradition.

10 jora August 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm

What a fun memory. Nice photos – I really like the look of the darker raisins.

11 Teresa August 18, 2012 at 5:00 pm

It’s lovely when recipes evoke memories, isn’t it? I really enjoy reading the stories that Doristas share every week. Your salad looks so pretty.

12 Betsy August 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Your salad looks great, and your story warmed my heart. Of course, for me, I used walnuts instead of raisins as they wouldn’t have been popular in our kitchen. Have a great weekend.

13 Rose August 19, 2012 at 5:10 am

Loving the new pic of you on your blog. Too cute!

14 sanya August 19, 2012 at 7:28 am

You made a simple salad look stunningly delicious!
Great photos!