French Fridays with Dorie – Garlic-Cheese Corn Pancakes

by Jessica on June 29, 2012

Garlic-Cheese Corn Pancakes | http://mybakingheart.com

I tend to eat like a bird when C is out of town. There’s no need to make a huge mess in the kitchen and pack away a ton of leftovers just for one person. So, after reading this recipe, and wondering how I’d eat six servings, I knew I needed to cut it in half. As it turned out, three servings were absolutely perfect and I took the other two next door for Momma G and Dad to enjoy.

And after reading this week’s P&Q and seeing how many of us ended up with bland pancakes, I decided to kick up the recipe, adding in a 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar and 2 tablespoons of freshly minced garlic to the batter. A great decision, I have to say. They were light, but rich & creamy with the extra cheese and garlic. Served alongside a nice, green salad, these really completed last night’s dinner!

Garlic-Cheese Corn Pancakes | http://mybakingheart.com

Click over to ‘French Fridays with Dorie’, and check out the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post, listing those of us who fried up a few pancakes this week!

#92 – Corn Pancakes (pg. 337)

Garlic-Cheese Corn Pancakes | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Susan June 29, 2012 at 11:44 am

I know what you mean, Jessica. My husband travels a lot & it’s hard to get motivated to cook much when I’m home alone.

I thought these were okay, but not great.

2 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen June 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm

You were right adding something to them. They also were my solo dinner! Nice pictures. Have a good weekend!

3 Cher June 29, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Cheddar and garlic are a great idea!
When it is just me or just me & only 1 kid, I have a hard time making meals – I think we just eat whatever is easiest…

4 Nana June 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I added a little cayenne pepper and grated cheese to half
of the batter and it was nice. I liked both versions, but
adding other ingredients really flavors it. Have a great
weekend.

5 Rosabel June 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I will cook this for sure this weekend! And I will pour Organic Maple syrup on top…ok, I am from Quebec, Canada..I can’t eat pancake without this syrup! (by the way, I get mine online with Rouge Maple…my favorite maple syrup!) have a great weekend! and thanks for sharing!

6 Alice June 29, 2012 at 5:34 pm

yours sound like they turned out much better than mine ­čÖé

7 Cakelaw June 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Cheddar and garlic is a great idea – it really would have given them a bost to take these pancakes beyond the ho-hum. Yours look so golden and inviting!

8 yummychunklet June 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm

What a delicious sounding variation!

9 Elaine June 29, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Your pancakes are just beautiful, Jessica. I really like your add-ins and probably would have enjoyed mine more with some cheddar cheese melting inside. Mmm…:) Have a great weekend!

10 Lola June 30, 2012 at 8:04 am

This recipe lends itself well to additions and toppings. Cheese and garlic sound like a great idea! Its nice to have a break from the kitchen sometimes:)

11 foodfashionandflow June 30, 2012 at 10:34 am

I never would have thought to pair these with a green salad, but what a great combo! They look so delicious1

12 Liz June 30, 2012 at 8:48 pm

So wonderful with a salad…that would make a lovely dinner!

13 Betsy June 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I’m actually the opposite when my husband’s away. I cook the things I love that he won’t eat, and enjoy the leftovers. I love the idea of sprucing these up with cheese and balancing it with a salad. It looks like a lovely meal!

14 Maggie July 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Beautiful pictures and I love garlic in pretty much anything so the next time I make these I’ll go a more savory route and try that! yum!

15 Frankly Entertaining July 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I love the idea of the cheese and garlic. I’m sure we’ll be making these again, and I’ll have to try your version.

16 Kathy July 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Jessica, Your corn pancakes look so delicious. Bet they were wonderful with the cheese and garlic. I love cheese on everything! I really enjoyed these! Have a great 4th!!

17 Rose July 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

I actually enjoyed mine plain, but now that I am getting around to reading everyone else’s posts, I am loving some of these add-in ideas. These pancakes really lend themselves to experimentation and I’m looking forward to stealing some of your ideas next time I whip up a batch of these.

18 Mary Hirsch July 7, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Jessica, what a good idea – adding the garlic and cheese. And, glad to know that they didn’t turn out like lumps with those added additions. This would be a perfect meal for me, 3 corn/cheddar pancakes with a mixed green salad. Thanks. And, I appreciate your kind words and thoughts regarding Michael. It’s been a week and we are doing pretty good.

19 Gracie July 13, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I didn’t add anything to my corn pancakes, but I will next time. I have a feeling I’ll be making these again!

20 elexigente July 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I DON’T GET IT….WHY TALK ABOUT ANY RECIPES IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SHARE THEM ?

21 Jessica July 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I understand your frustration at the recipe not being posted for this particular dish. French Fridays with Dorie’s group rule states that we “not include the actual recipe on our FFwD posts.” They like to promote the publishing industry by encouraging others to go buy the book. However, if you Google ‘Corn Pancakes’ with Dorie’s name attached to your search, there are other bloggers who’ve made this dish (outside of our group) and have posted the recipe. You can easily find it that way. Hope this helps!

22 mamma g July 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm

These sound delicious! You can’t get any better than with garlic and cheese!

23 RisaG December 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Boy do these sound good. I am going to try these additions.