French Fridays with Dorie – Provencal Garlic Fougasse

by Jessica on May 11, 2012

Provencal Garlic Fougasse | http://mybakingheart.com

This is what happens when you just know deep-down in your heart, in the recesses of your mind, that you have a jar of olives in your pantry. You start the yeast, gather your dry ingredients and then notice that not only do you not have the olives you needed, but you don’t have anything remotely close to them lying around. That’s when you decide to go rogue on Dorie and create your own Fougasse. 🙂

Provencal Garlic Fougasse | http://mybakingheart.com

Substituting the freshly-minced garlic of two cloves for those darn olives, I created a Provençal Garlic Fougasse. I’m sure the lovely people of Provence would be thrilled with it, too (not). Oh well… it turned out to be some of the best bread I’ve ever baked up. The yeast cooperated wonderfully and the lemon zest paired perfectly with the garlic. All in all, I’d say it was a win!

Click over to the FFwD ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post for a list of the Doristas who participated this week… with the proper ingredients, I’m sure!

#85 – Provençal Garlic Fougasse (pgs. 48-50)
Adapted from: Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan

Provencal Garlic Fougasse | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Betsy May 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm

LOL! Nice save!
I nearly had a similar experience. I had a jar of olives in the fridge. I had everything ready to go, but nothing actually combined. I pulled jar out and, alas, it was older than I expected and not usuable. It was too late to run out to the store, so I just sealed everything up until I could get to the store and resumed. At that point, it was sort of like using a packaged mix because everything was all measured out (except the mix-ins).
I think your garlic version looks terrific. I love how this bread can be easily varied in so many different ways.

2 Nana May 11, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I like that idea of garlic bread. I wonder if this is how new
recipes are made. Yours looks delicious and appealing.
Good job.

3 Cher May 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Oh, I think garlic sounds lovely. I thought that caramelized onions would be nice too.
It sounds like the bottle of avocado oil that I was so sure was in my pantry. I will probably find it the day I buy a new one…

4 Andrea May 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Lovely looking garlic fougasse – I love a little variation on the main theme and it sounds like you enjoyed your version – I am quite sure that it was delicious! Have a great weekend!

5 Patty May 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Excellant save! The beauty of homemade bread is all it’s variations and your garlic sounds just wonderful;-)

6 Kathy May 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Very creative save! I bet it tasted wonderful with that garlic! My husband wasn’t crazy for the olives…I loved it! Your fougasse looks lovely! Have a great weekend!

7 amanda @ fake ginger May 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm

LOL! I hate when that happens! Although I usually prefer “plain” breads so I probably would’ve liked yours even more than the olive version! Looks wonderful!

8 Elaine May 12, 2012 at 1:24 am

I am going to make your version next time. I know John will love it. Your fougasse is a beautiful shape.

9 Elin May 12, 2012 at 4:23 am

Wow…garlic! I love it and I never thought of using garlic. I am going to try your version and I think it is going to be delicious and I can imagine the fragrance of the garlic permeating the air…lovely ! Have a nice weekend!

10 Lola May 12, 2012 at 8:26 am

Very creative solution and since I love garlic I’m sure your fougasse was great!

11 Mary Hirsch May 12, 2012 at 10:20 pm

So nothings wrong with garlic fougasse from my point of view. It’s probably a very good idea and the people of Provence might salute you (if they were so inclined to salute any American). Your bread looks delicious and I’m sure you intend to try different variations of this recipe again. I certainly will.

12 yummychunklet May 12, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Great substitution. Almost better than the original!

13 Alice May 13, 2012 at 4:43 am

yours turned out quite blonde though… even without the olives, it should have become a bit more golden I would imagine… oh well, love that you liked it in the end!

14 Liz May 13, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Good for you for going ahead without the olives! I have a feeling my family would have loved your bread…they didn’t want anything to do with mine, though I loved it! Yours are beautiful..and look just like leaves~

15 Nikki @Pennies on a Platter May 13, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Glad the changes worked for you. I’ve never heard of this bread, but it’s beautiful!

16 Maggie May 14, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I would sooooooo eat garlic fougasse! Yum! I usually have the opposite problem though where I’m sure I’m out of something and then I get home and see that I actually have two! Happens a lot with milk, heavy whipping cream, and powdered sugar for some reason…