TWD: Baking With Julia – Lemon Loaf Cake

by Jessica on April 17, 2012

Lemon Loaf Cake

Simple, quick and beautiful. Three little words that come to mind when I think of this cake.

As I begin preparing for a week-long vacation (packing, cleaning, doing laundry, etc.), I don’t have the time I’d like to devote to baking. However, with this lemon loaf, it was easy! A handful of ingredients and a few minutes later, I had this gorgeous, bright yellow loaf cooling on the counter. Besides zesting, I also added the juice from all three lemons to the batter (on the advice of this week’s P&Q). It made for a moist and super-tart loaf… perfect for these hot Spring afternoons we’ve been having.

And the vacation? More on that later this week! ;)

Lemon Loaf Cake 2

Lemon Loaf Cake (pgs. 252-253)
Source: Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan

Double-duty hostesses for the week are Truc of Treats and Michelle of The Beauty of Life. Check out their blogs for the recipe! And, as always, for a list of this week’s bakers, click over to the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post on TWD:BWJ!

Lemon Loaf Cake 3

1 Karen @ SoupAddict April 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

Your cake looks positively light and fluffy – almost like angel food cake – lovely! Have a great vacation (I hope it’s some place warm so I can live vicariously :) )!

2 cindy April 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

I added the juice of just one lemon. But I couldn’t stand it–I had to frost it. Frosting makes the world a better place.
Fun, easy recipe.

3 tierneymarie April 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I actually really liked the flavor without the lemon juice. It wasn’t tart but it was light and well-balanced. I’m getting ready for a trip, too, so this recipe was about all I could handle as well. Definitely worth the small amount of time it took!

4 Katrina April 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Mmm, love the look of your cake that is more dense. I should have read the P&Q and added all the lemon juice, too. A family member who ate some of the cake and loves lemon says it wasn’t very lemony–which surprised me with zest of 4 lemons! I should have glazed it. Either way, this was pretty good! (I’d just rather have chocolate!) ;)

5 Nicole April 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Wow, your cake is so light! Mine browned quite a lot. I didn’t use lemon juice but the cake still had a good lemon flavor.

6 Andrea Mohr April 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Your Lemon Loaf Cake looks wonderful and light…The photos and the presentation are very pretty. Hope you are going to spend a wonderful vacation!

7 Heather April 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Your loaf turned out beautifully. I really LOVE the “easy” recipes

8 yummychunklet April 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I love how creamy white your loaf turned out!

9 Beverly April 17, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Your lemon loaf looks luscious- that was almost a haiku, huh?
It truly does….missing out on this recipe this week, so enjoy. I notice that you live near Denison- I hail from McKinney- a big Texas howdy!

10 Susan April 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Beautiful, Jessica – I think I would have liked mine better if it had been a little lighter like yours!

Have a lovely vacation!

11 Elaine April 17, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I bet yours was super moist with adding all the lemon juice. It looks so pretty and delicious. Have a great vacation, Jessica!

12 Cher April 19, 2012 at 11:16 am

The coloring on your loaf was just lovely!
hope you had a great vacation.

13 Anne Brassell April 20, 2012 at 11:53 am

Pretty little slices. They look so light and the added tartness of the lemon juice was probably delicious. I made mine true to the recipe and they lack the tartness, but have a lot of possibilities as a base with added ingredients. They were also quite good toasted. Have fun on your vacation!

14 Cathleen April 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

What a lovely loaf. I needed to add more juice for sure. Have a fabulous time on your vacation!

15 Nic April 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Oh thats so pretty, I love how pale it is against that blue green plate. Looks tasty.