French Fridays with Dorie – Cocoa Sable Tart

by Jessica on March 23, 2012

Cocoa Sablé Tart | http://mybakingheart.com

When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade, right? Well, when you’re dealt a cookie dough that won’t hold together, what do you do then? You make a chocolate tart!

Since yesterday was a dreary, depressing day, I needed a pick-me-up and rushed home after work to get started on these. I let the butter come to room temperature, whisked my dry ingredients together and begin preparing the dough. I tried my hardest to get it to stick and once I thought it was going to stay, I placed both logs in the refrigerator to chill while I waited in line to see the 12:06am showing of The Hunger Games (yes, I’m one of those gals!). I thought the logs would be ready to slice by the time I got home (at 3:15!), but boy, was I wrong. I went over the recipe two, three (even four) times and after an overnight spent in the freezer, the dough was still crumbly. Sandy and fine… I didn’t think the meaning of sablé would be so literal when it came to this dough. 😉

So, I whipped up a small batch of chocolate pudding, pressed the sablé dough in the bottom of a springform pan and placed it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Once it was cool, I topped it with the pudding and stuck it in the freezer once more. It’s a chilly, chocolatey and absolutely perfect dessert. Crisis averted!!

Cocoa Sablé Tart | http://mybakingheart.com

#78 – Cocoa Sablé Tart (pg. 402)
Adapted from: Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan

To see what these sweet little cookies should look like, click on over to the FFwD ‘Leave-Your-Link’ page for a list of those who were far more successful!

Cocoa Sablé Tart | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Adriana March 23, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Wow, crisis averted indeed! I’m glad you were able to rescue your dough. That tart looks pretty luscious. I will be catching the movie this weekend – can’t wait!

2 tsimmisthyme March 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Love, love, your tart. Looks so yummy. What a save! You weren’t alone. I really thought this was going to be a huge fail. I had to squeeze and squeeze to get the dough to hold together. Had to squeeze the disks together after I cut them too.

3 cindy March 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Way to go! That’s what we do, make it work. One way or another.

4 tierneymarie March 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I’ve never managed to make a chocolate sable dough stick together, so I totally understand. Way to be creative! It looks fabulous!

5 Kathy March 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Great save! I love that you made a chocolate tart and it looks beautiful! A lot of people seemed to have trouble with this dough holding together…mine seemed a little crumbly at first but, I kneaded it a bit and it started to come together.

6 Frolicking Night Owl March 23, 2012 at 4:42 pm

My dough was also very dry. I was hoping to roll some out and let my kids use cookie cutters, but definitely not an option with this recipe. The tarts looks wonderful, though! Hunger Games sounds fun too! My hubby read the books, so I gotta wait until Saturday night to go with him otherwise I would’ve been “one of those girls” too. 🙂

7 Teresa March 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Wow! I want to make another batch of this dough, just for this purpose. Great save. It took me some time to get this dough into rolls that I thought would come together – sandy indeed!

8 Rose March 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I tip my hat to you, way to save the recipe. Your tart looks delicious! And I was out of town all week, but I will be dragging my husband to see the Hunger Games this weekend… because I too am one of those girls 🙂

9 Cher March 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Sounds like the way it should have been in the first place 🙂
Very nice.

10 Liz March 24, 2012 at 6:00 am

Mine crumbled a bit, too…I think my dough was way too cold! I love how you made lemonade from your lemon…I think I’d rather have a slice of your amazing pie than a cookie!

11 Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen March 24, 2012 at 6:32 am

That is a creative way of saving your sable dough! Your tart looks lovely and the chocolate topping is positively inviting. I’m also going to watch ‘The Hunger Games’ tomorrow, can’t wait!

12 Trevor Sis Boom March 24, 2012 at 11:09 am

And you had the mind to do this at 3AM? lol. Ok Miss Desserts for brains. 🙂 I really cannot think of a better tart crust EVER. Wow. I have no mind for desserts or I would have done this as Im’ not really much of a cookie person anyway.

13 Heather March 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Great way to “recover” the recipe!

I am passing the Liebster Blog award on to you {I Love your blog}
visit my blog for the details of the award

14 Betsy March 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm

What a save! And what a great idea to use the cookie dough for a tart crust. I’ll have to remember that.

15 Maggie March 25, 2012 at 11:57 am

What an awesome way to use this dough! I am truly impressed! I saw The Hunger Games last night and I have to say I’m kind of bummed. What did you think?

16 Erin E March 26, 2012 at 8:21 am

What a great idea! The tart looks amazing and the sable dough is perfect for a crust! Hope you enjoyed the movie!

17 Jessica @ HG March 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I would risk making my cookie dough incorrect so I have an excuse to try this! Nice!…and read book 1 of hunger games yesterday and waiting on my friend to deliver the second tomorrow!