TWD: Baking With Julia – Chocolate Truffle Tartlets

by Jessica on February 21, 2012

Chocolate Truffle Tartlets

I dropped C off at the airport this past Sunday morning, not realizing the emotional response I was about to have. Work is such a beast these days, for the both of us. And while we’ve spent stretches of time apart from one another before, this trip bears shades of California… where a long-distance relationship was all we knew. Flights between San Diego and Dallas were commonplace, and if we saw each other once a month, we were lucky (buying stock in Skype was probably a good idea!).

This time, he’s gone for a total of six weeks, and while he’s most likely coming home for a weekend in March, it’s still too long. I drove the hour back home crying my eyes out, when the day before, I just thought of this work trip as like every other. So, I spent the entire day in the kitchen… kneading crusts, whisking flours, stirring chocolate, whipping frostings and slow-cooking onions for Friday’s FFwD, Cheese-Topped Onion Soup (which is incredibly amazing, by the way).

Baking has always soothed my soul, so this was just the kind of therapy I needed. The crust comes together like a dream (love the mixing-by-hand method!) and the filling? Simply sinful. Rich and silky with a hint of crunch at the end, thanks to the biscotti. I’m still a little down, but now I have a delightful Chocolate Truffle Tartlet to drown my sorrows in. πŸ™‚

Chocolate Truffle Tartlets 2

Steph of A Whisk and A Spoon, Spike of Spike Bakes, Jaime of Good Eats & Sweet Treats and Jessica of Cookbook Habit are our four fabulous hostesses for the week! Check their blogs for the recipe and to see how the other Doristas fared, click over to the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post!

Up next? Rugelach! In two weeks’ time, look for the recipe here! I’m hosting, along with Margaret of The Urban Hiker! πŸ™‚

#2 – Chocolate Truffle Tartlets (pgs. 382-383)
Source: Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan

Chocolate Truffle Tartlets 3

p.s. Thank you so much for all the votes and comments that we’ve received so far in Jessica D’Onofrio’s Engagement Session Competition! So far, C and I are ahead… but not by much! You can vote EVERY DAY until February 29th, so click on the ‘Competition’ link above and please continue to vote!! And for more support, follow our Pinterest board here: Competition – Jessica & Chris!! πŸ™‚

1 Katrina February 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

Ha, I love that–Doristas!
Loved this decadent tart. I used Oreos and Andes Mints and it was SO good!
I’ve been voting for your competition! Off to get one in for today! πŸ˜‰

2 Kim February 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

Hi Jessica, sorry about your situation but your tart looks delicious!! πŸ™‚

3 Megan's Cookin' February 21, 2012 at 10:04 am

Wow, 6 weeks is a long time to be away from the one you love. Hope it flies for you. Thank God for kitchen therapy!!!
I’m off to check out your competition and to go vote. Good luck! πŸ™‚

4 Michelle February 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

The crust came together like a dream for me too! Your tart looks awesome!

5 Tierney February 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

It’s so nice to see another baker in the DFW area! I’m glad you liked your tart; it looks absolutely amazing, lovely texture and all!

6 Cher February 21, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hope the next few weeks fly by quickly for you. There is definitely something to be said for kitchen therapy. It looks like your tarts came out beautifully. (And that onion soup was very good, wasn’t it?)

7 Jennifer February 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

That tart (and the plate) are gorgeous!

8 Susan February 21, 2012 at 1:19 pm

We loved this, too. It really was so simple for such an elegant outcome. My honey was just gone for a month, so I feel for you! I hope you find plenty to keep yourself busy – the weekends are the hardest for me.

Very nicely done!

9 Heather February 21, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Your tart looks amazing! Chocolate is very soul soothing πŸ™‚

10 Jen February 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm

great job, your tart looks great! I know just what you mean about the long work trips, my SO is departing for a 3-month work trip across the country in just under a week and, even though he’s been on long work trips like this before, it’s going to be tough dropping him off at the airport. I’ll definitely be spending a lot of time in my kitchen, TWD v2.0 couldn’t have come at a better time πŸ˜‰

11 Katie February 21, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Those three words–chocolate, truffles and tartlets–make me so, so happy. This looks fantastic!

12 Nana February 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Absolutely beautiful, and looks so good on that while plate.
Tricia made this week’s recipe and I look forward to trying
it in the very near future.

13 Jill February 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Your tart looks gorgeous! Chocolate always helps when times get tough!

14 spike February 21, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Baking is great therapy. This chocolate tart is enough to lift your spirits I hope

15 Kathy February 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Glad the baking took some of the stress away….baking always helps me. Your tart is beautiful…so very creamy looking.

16 Karen February 21, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Beautiful photos! Being apart is so hard. My hubs is a musician and travels some but I am not sure he has been gone 6 weeks. I am glad you had the tart to drown your sorrows in. πŸ˜‰

17 Rachel B February 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Chocolate makes everything better! Hang in there! PS I’m from DFW and now live in San Diego. We should be bffs! πŸ™‚ Cheers, Rachel http://www.tangerine-tart.blogspot.com

18 Sara Pratt February 22, 2012 at 1:08 am

I’m excited for you to host!

19 jora February 22, 2012 at 7:42 am

I’m sorry, long distance is really hard. It’s amazing how calming baking/cooking can be (especially when it involves chocolate). It does seem to make everything better. I loved the tartlet and the cheese-topped onion soup too!

20 Gretchen Noelle February 22, 2012 at 8:52 am

Lovely looking tart! Hope these next weeks go by quickly for you. Looking forward to next weeks recipe!

21 tsimmisthyme February 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Such a beautiful tart. Cooking is so therapeutic but I’d have to give the tart to someone or I’d find myself therapeutically eating away my sorrow too. While it is only a little bit, it is easier to be apart today with cellphones and Skype than it was in times past. Keep busy and hopefully the time will fly by quickly.

22 Frolicking Night Owl February 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Beautiful work!

23 Wendy (pinkstripes) February 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I can totally relate. I bawled my eyes out when I dropped Paul off at the airport for {only} a 3-week trip. I hope time passes by quickly and you’re reunited soon.

Your tart is beautiful!

24 Catherine Daugherty February 22, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Your tart is beautiful the kitchen therapy turned out a great tart πŸ™‚ Blessings to you while he is gone, praying the weeks fly by. Looking forward to your hosting next time! I’ll be back for sure! http://www.praycookblog.com

25 bakeranne February 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm

On the bright side, your tartlets look amazing!

26 Dolores February 23, 2012 at 12:22 am

Chocolate is a wonderful soul-soother. And your tart looks quite tasty. Maybe make a second one for your reunion in 6 weeks?

27 Renee @kudoskitchen February 23, 2012 at 5:55 am

Glad you are able to find comfort in your kitchen! I hope the time flies for you when you can be together again with your beloved πŸ™‚ In the meantime, your tart looks perfect! You did a wonderful job!

28 bakingismyzen February 23, 2012 at 7:50 am

Lovely plate and tart.

~Carmen

29 Rebecca February 23, 2012 at 9:49 am

Your tart is lovely. Hope the six weeks fly! Looking forward to rugelach, I’ve never made them before.

30 Amanda February 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm

your tart looks lovely and the perfect remedy to the situation. πŸ™‚

31 Lola February 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Glad you have the kitchen to occupy you while he’s away. Hope the time goes by fast! Your tarts look great.

32 Lauren February 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm

So glad I visited your site – your tart looks amazing and your blog is an inspiration.

33 Jessica February 28, 2012 at 11:25 am

Baking is therapeutic, isn’t it? Your tart is absolutely gorgeous – thanks for baking along with us this week!

34 June March 7, 2012 at 11:25 am

I know exactly how you’re feeling, for I’m feeling it too, with my hubby gone for 10 days. Although it’s not 6 whole weeks, saying goodbye to him at the airport and then walking back to the car without him, and then all the way on the drive back home, I too cried my eyes off to the point where I seriously considered pulling over and just waiting till I calmed down. He’s been away from home for an overnight here, a weekend there, but not ten days, so this was difficult for me.

At least…at first, on those first two days and first night. Like you, to soothe and calm my soul and my heart, I baked. Baking helps like a good weeping session cannot. Weeping exhausts me to where I have nearly nothing left, but baking heals me, comforts me, calms me, and allows my heart to sing with renewed energy and creativity. I baked two loaves of bread – a milk loaf and a sun-dried tomato and cheddar bread, an apple tart, a Tunisian orange and almond cake, and, for good measure, some chocolate and banana nut muffins.

Not all in one day did I bake all that, but over the course of
this past week. It has helped so much.

The tartlette you shared with us in this post looks absolutely gorgeous and delicious, and I know it was made with so much love. Don’t worry – your ever-lovin’ hub will be back soon, and the welcome-home celebrations will be legendary! Thanks for sharing, and for reading through all this – just even simply chatting about baking makes me feel better.