French Fridays with Dorie – Nutella Tartine

by Jessica on February 10, 2012

Nutella Tartine | http://mybakingheart.com

It’s been a while since I posted a FFwD recipe, but since we celebrated ‘World Nutella Day’ this past Sunday, I figured this would be the perfect time to jump back in. Naturally, I bought the mega jar of Nutella for such occasions. 🙂

Nutella Mega Jar | http://mybakingheart.com

I couldn’t find any hazelnuts in these parts, so to make the Tartine a bit more ‘Southern’, I subbed chopped pecans on top. This is such a simple, yet indulgent, treat. Perfect for after-school snacks, after-dinner dessert on a weeknight or with a steaming cup of dark roast, as a sinful Friday morning breakfast. 😉

Nutella Tartine | http://mybakingheart.com

Click over to the FFwD ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post to see more beautiful tartines from today!

#72 – Nutella Tartine (pg. 414-415)

Nutella Tartine | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Geraldine Saucier February 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

I like the use of pecans as a topping. Your Nutella Tartine looks delicious:)

2 Genkinaonna February 10, 2012 at 11:11 am

Anything can be improved by the judicious use of pecans. I would have shared with my kids, but I’m greedy! Lol…

3 Cher February 10, 2012 at 11:34 am

Nutella – who can resist!
That’s beautiful and pecans are a perfect topping for such a treat.

4 KarenP February 10, 2012 at 11:45 am

That bread looks perfect for this treat. Glad you enjoyed it!

5 SoupAddict Karen February 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm

That turned out beautifully!

6 Nicole, RD February 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I’ve never been able to find fresh hazelnuts either – sad! Regardless, this looks soooo good!

7 Frolicking Night Owl February 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Very nice photos! And I love all your nuts piled on there. 🙂

8 Pamela February 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Just came home from the grocery store with a new jar of Nutella and saw your post! Funny or fate?? I think I know the answer. :-). Looks divine.

9 Adriana February 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

You can’t go wrong with pecans and chocolate. If I had to choose between pecans and hazelnuts, I’d always pick out the pecans. That French bread looks wonderful.

10 Krissy February 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Perfect! That top photo with the Nutella dripping down the size makes me want to lick it off…I need to go to the kitchen now and make another of these tartine goodies for my lunch.

11 yummychunklet February 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Your tartine looks delicious! And, I missed World Nutella Day this year, so I’m happy to have made this recipe this week.

12 steph (whisk/spoon) February 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm

i had this as my friday morning breakfast….a very fine one at that. 🙂

13 Ei February 10, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Looks deeeelicious!

14 Lola February 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm

It was sinful Friday breakfast for us:) I used pecans too and I thought the salt added a touch of sophistication.

15 Liz February 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm

So pretty on your round bread! I think I would have liked it with another jam.

16 Mary Hirsch February 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm

“World Nutella Day” – Who knew? I am a new fan of Nutella, a rebirth, after 35 years. But, I never knew there was a jumbo jar – that may be a little over-the-top for me. I like the pecan-idea. Hey, Jessica, what do you think about marshmellows on top of Nutella, instead of nuts. Might work?

17 Peggy February 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Lovely round loaves. Perfect, indeed, with dark roast.

18 Candy February 11, 2012 at 7:26 am

Love it with the pecans. Yum!

19 Dessert By Candy February 11, 2012 at 8:25 am

“Sinful” why yes! And so so good. I’ve been eating this for breakfast two days in a row now. Nice substitution with the pecans. Oh I haven’t visit your blog in a while. Love your profile photo with the kitchen among the trees!

20 Marie February 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I couldn’t find hazelnuts either, so I bought a bag of mixed nuts, and picked out the hazelnuts. Good, but I think the pecans might be better, and are definitely easier to find.

21 Confessions of a Culinary Diva February 11, 2012 at 4:05 pm

The inclusion of pecans certainly gives this a southern twist – bet they were terrific! Looks terrific, great photos!

22 Tricia S. February 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I was surprised to learn that hazelnuts were so tough for some to find. I had a moment of panic at my local store but did scare up a bag after all. We had a blast with this ‘non recipe” in our house and it was a big hit at Nana’s as well. As usual, even with the basics…Dorie got us to combine a magical few ingredients we would not have put together on our own. Esp that salt part….which I LOVED. Great post !

23 Betsy February 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I think cooking with what you have often improves a recipe as it gets personalized. Glad that you enjoyed this one (though I didn’t). Perfect way to start a decadent Friday.

24 Alice February 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm

love that your plate matches the background on your blog 😉

25 jora February 16, 2012 at 6:13 am

Glad you enjoyed this! Yours came out beautifully. I feel like I’m the only person who couldn’t manage to make drizzled nutella look pretty! Enjoy the rest of your nutella jar 🙂