TWD: Baking With Julia – White Loaves

by Jessica on February 7, 2012

White Loaves

I was all excited to show off a beautiful, fluffy loaf of white bread… I mean, it’s the beginning of ‘Baking With Julia’, after all. But, when you accidentally kill the yeast (and realize your mistake way too late), this is the sad result.

It’s been over a month since we’ve visited with Dorie on a Tuesday, so I was starting to get a little lonely. And while I’m glad that we’re back together baking on an official level, I’m a bit disappointed with how these turned out. Forgiving the fact that the dough almost killed my precious stand mixer, the loaves did smell amazing while they were baking (and not rising). Don’t worry, though, I will be trying this one again. Yeast be damned! 🙂

White Loaves 2

Sweet Laurie of Slush and lovely Jules of Someone’s in the Kitchen are our hostesses for the week. Check out their blogs for the recipe and to see a round-up of BWJ participants, click over to our first ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post!

#1 – White Loaves (pgs. 81-82)
Source: Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan

White Loaves 3

1 Gretchen Noelle February 7, 2012 at 8:12 am

Bummer on the yeast! I am always so frustrated when that happens! Hope you get a chance soon to re-make these loaves.

2 Jules February 7, 2012 at 8:37 am

Ooops. I hate when that happens. Looks like another try is in order.

3 laurie February 7, 2012 at 8:40 am

Oh no! It totally stinks when the yeast has died. Ive been there many, many times. Hopefully the next try will work out much better.

4 Tierney February 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

My Kitchen Aid also had a near-death experience with this recipe. When you try the bread again (or any yeast dough) keep your stand mixer on setting 2 or below. Apparently it’s in the manual (because we all read our appliance manuals, naturally). Best of luck with the do-over!

5 Jessica February 7, 2012 at 10:56 am

Oh, believe me, Tierney… I babysat that mixer like there was no tomorrow! Never clicked it above a 2 and I was still worried! 🙂

6 Cher February 7, 2012 at 10:53 am

Oh no! What a bummer. Glad you & your stand mixer survived and best wishes on your do-over.

7 Heather February 7, 2012 at 10:59 am

Aww that is a bummer on the yeast. I got a little worried for my mixer during the process, too!

8 Confessions of a Culinary Diva February 7, 2012 at 11:07 am

Bummer on the yeast – worth another try though! Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

9 Nic February 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm

aww sad that this didnt turn out for you, try again its so worth it!

10 Margaret February 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Bummer on the yeast. But a great excuse to go back and make it again!!

11 Kayte February 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Okay, you know I giggled when I saw the photo, right? I mean this is so unlike your usual presentations of TWD entries…usually everything looks just so perfectly wonderful and executed precisely the way it is supposed to be…and then I see this poor little pitiful yeast-dead cracked loaf and, well, you know me, I had to giggle because this so could have been me on any given day…lol. You are a brave woman to post and make the rest of us feel so good about our loaves, very kind of you. And, btw, I ruined my KA on mixing bread dough and have been doing it hand only ever since and loving that whole process of doing it all by hand. Just thought I would put a plug in for that before your mixer tells you that it’s just not fun to break a mixer kneading dough! See you in two weeks, with, I am sure, the perfect chocolate tarts as you are very good with chocolate over here. Then you can giggle at mine.

12 Susan February 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I feel for you – a few weeks ago, we made Brioche for French Fridays with Dorie & I had the throw the first batch of dough out and start all over again! I was especially frustrated since I made pizza dough all the time. Well, learning is one of the reasons we do this!

Enjoy the rest of your week!

13 Lola February 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm

At least the mixer survived! Your bread actually looks quite nice, kind of like a ciabatta. Could you salvage it for anything? Bread pudding maybe?

14 Jill February 7, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Your photos are still nice! Too bad that this didn’t work out, but I’m glad that you’re in the new group!

15 Alice February 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm

maybe you could feed ducks or birds? cant wait to see how your second attempt goes!

16 spike February 7, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Oh, yeast!

17 Elaine February 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I’m so sorry that happened, Jessica. I like that you posted about it anyway and really, your photos are so pretty – your bread looks like calzones.

18 cindy February 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I do love keeping it real posts. I have had many loaves that turned out like that over the years. Better luck next time. This is a yummy recipe, worth trying again.
Glad you are baking again. I do love TWD bloggers.

19 Jodie February 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Mine didn’t rise too prettily either, but tasted great! Hope the next recipe turns out better 🙂

20 Pamela February 7, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Great post!! Love the honesty. And really nice pics of the loaves, too!!

21 Jen February 8, 2012 at 4:07 am

aww, poor little loaves, lol. It’s endearing actually, and you still managed to make them look appetizing with your amazing photos 🙂

22 Peggy February 8, 2012 at 9:48 am

It happens to all of us occasionally – something goes awry. But it probably tasted great anyway, right? And next time you will make it perfectly like you always do!! It just looks a bit rustic and rustic can be great!!

23 steph (whisk/spoon) February 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Ahhh…that sucks. You’ll be back on track next week with chocolate!

24 Karen February 8, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Even with the dead yeast your loaves look beautiful. 🙂 I am so glad that we get to bake together again! 🙂

25 Karen/Shortbread February 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I know, I didn’t realize how hard my mixer was working until the end when it started smelling funny. Luckily it was ok but I may be using a different method next time. You should try this one again definitely!

26 Jennifer February 11, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I think your loaves are lovely.

My yeast was dead. I’m not sure if I killed it or if it was already dead when I bought it.

27 Jaime February 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm

i had to make mine twice. i used expired yeast and thought it would be ok b/c it bubbled up at the beginning but i think they were too weak for the job b/c my first 2 loaves turned out like yours 😛

my 2nd attempt, with stronger yeast, was much better 🙂 oh well, there’s always next time!

28 melissa February 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

boo to uncooperative yeast. i tried the recipe twice. the first time my boys slammed their lunch boxes onto the kitchen counter and moments later i had two deflated loaves. the second time around, i banned all little boys from our little kitchen and ended up with perfect risen and baked loaves.

29 bakingismyzen February 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

How unfortunate…it’s happen to me in the past, and it’s so dissappointing. Look forward to your next TWD:BWJ post! 🙂

~Carmen

30 Teresa February 20, 2012 at 4:27 am

That’s so frustrating! Hope they were salvageable. I was a little worried about my KitchenAid, too – though the worst thing that happened was that the bowl was a little hard to unstick.