Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies for Amy & Cassidy Grace

by Jessica on November 15, 2011

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies

My adorable friend, Amy of Sing For Your Supper, is expecting a sweet little girl in just a few short months (January to be exact!), so along with several fellow Nesties, we’re celebrating today with a virtual shower, hosted by Kelsey of Apple A Day.

Jess & Amy

Cassidy Grace (don’t you just love that name?) will be here before we know it, and I can’t wait until the day I meet her. Amy and I became fast friends almost four years ago. Together we’ve conquered macarons, rocked out to John Mayer (live!) and met our baking idol, Dorie Greenspan. She is a special, special friend and I am so happy for her and this next, exciting chapter of her life!

My contribution to the sweets table are these Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies from Paula Deen. Amy’s a fan of chocolatey gooey-ness (just check out her Brownie Pudding), so I know that she’d fall hard for these. They’re fudgy and buttery… just perfect with a big ol’ glass of milk! :)

To check out the Round-Up, click over to Kelsey’s blog where she’s featuring all the yummy treats from today’s shower!! Or head over to Amy’s blog where’s she has a Round-Up posted as well!!

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies 2

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
Adapted from: Paula Deen

1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, at room temperature
8 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 lg egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 (21 oz) box Duncan Hines ‘Decadent Triple Chocolate’ cake mix

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in both bags of the cake mix until it is fully incorporated. Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside and begin to roll the chilled batter into tablespoon-sized balls. Place balls on the cookie sheets at 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and gooey, as the name suggests. Cool completely and sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired.

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies 3

Best Wishes to Amy, Joel and Miss Cassidy Grace!!

1 Blog is the New Black November 15, 2011 at 4:49 am

Very sweet! :) These look amazing!

2 Nicole, RD November 15, 2011 at 6:39 am

I love Amy and het blog…what a sweet post! And the cookies…wow! You know they’re good when they look that rich!

3 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray November 15, 2011 at 8:06 am

Any cookies that involve an entire package of cream cheese AND a whole stick of butter are right up my alley. Love it!

This was such a sweet (ha) virtual shower–what great friends you all are!

4 Annie November 15, 2011 at 8:24 am

Very sweet post! I’ve had this type of gooey butter cookie before, but not the chocolate variety. These sound wonderful!

5 Amy (Sing For Your Supper) November 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

Ok, I’m sitting here eating pop tarts and they’re just not doing it for me…I want one of these cookies NOW!
Jess, what a sweet post- thank you so much for doing this! I’m SO thankful for our wonderful friendship!

6 Eliana November 15, 2011 at 9:52 am

Hmmmmm – these look so amazing Jessica. And this is the sweetest post ever. Adore the pic yof you and Amy.

7 Krystal @ {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} November 15, 2011 at 12:24 pm

You gone and made me cry!! Ahh, what a sweet post and it’s so nice to hear that you and Amy are friends in real life, too!! Sooo amazing, and these cookies sound tasty!!! Mmmm…

8 Jessica @Sunny Side Up November 15, 2011 at 12:41 pm

This is such a sweet post! Congratulations to Amy! And these cookies sound amazing, you had me at chocolate and pushed me over the edge with gooey!

9 Kelsey November 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm

These are SO up Amy’s alley. I should’ve known you’d come up with something so delicious and perfect for the shower. Thank you so much for participating!

10 Suzanne (kokocooks) November 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Yummy looking cookies! I’m jealous that you get to hang out with Amy in person.

11 Nikki November 16, 2011 at 12:03 am

Wait a sec… you just gave me a way to use up my swag bag Duncan Hines cake mix! You’re my hero, Jess! :)

So sweet that you and Amy are real life friends. I can’t wait to try these cookies!!

12 Joan Hayes@chocolate and more November 16, 2011 at 6:22 pm