Tuesdays With Dorie – Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbread

by Jessica on September 20, 2011

Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbread

When I read the choice for this week’s recipe, I was a bit skeptical. Intrigued, sure… but most definitely, skeptical. Pepper and I are not the best of friends and I rarely cook with it, unless of course, Dorie tells me to. She hasn’t steered me wrong before (on any Tuesday or Friday recipe), so I decided to trust her once more. And never one to shy away from a challenge, I rolled these in a bit more Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper before chilling. Daring, right? 😉

She didn’t disappoint and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved these little shortbread cookies. I halved the recipe and got exactly 24 sweet bites. Now… to pass them off before I eat every single one! Any takers??

Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbread 2

Many thanks to Tia of Buttercream Barbie for hostessing this week. She’ll have the recipe listed on her site, and for a list of this week’s bakers, check out the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post over on Tuesdays With Dorie! Next week… Flip-Over Plum Cake!

Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbread (pg. 128)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Salt and Pepper Cocoa Shortbread 3

1 Valerie September 20, 2011 at 8:08 am

Your photos are gorgeous, I love the fact that all those little bits of black pepper are peeking through the chocolate! And I’d be happy to take a few leftovers off your hands. 😀

2 Joy September 20, 2011 at 8:09 am

They’re so pretty rolled in the salt and pepper! Beautiful photos!

3 Becky O. September 20, 2011 at 9:25 am

Yours look so good. I think that extra roll in the s&p does a lot. I really enjoyed these and actually came out with really dark shortbread since I used black cocoa powder. Crazy.

Love your salt and pepper shakers!

4 Katrina September 20, 2011 at 9:30 am

Yeah, I didn’t think I’d like them either, but loved them. I drizzled mine with more chocolate. Really good!

5 Jules September 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

Love this! Yours looks amazing. I think rolling them in salt and pepper is a great idea. I keep nibbling at mine. Must get them out of the house!

6 Nicole September 20, 2011 at 10:09 am

I liked these more than expected, too. I couldn’t taste the pepper very much, but it did provide a little kick.

7 Clivia September 20, 2011 at 10:39 am

Lovely idea to roll the edges in more flavour!

8 snooky doodle September 20, 2011 at 2:01 pm

what an interesting recipe. so flavourful

9 tia September 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm

they look great!!! the closeup shot of them stacked is my fave.

10 Margaret September 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm

ROLLED in S&P. Very creative!! Making mine for next week. Good tip.

11 Kayte September 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Yes, they look very nice. Yes, your post was very nice. Yes, the photos were very nice. That said, and ever so sincerely, I am a bit distracted over your salt and pepper shakers as my grandmother used to have a little jar like that that she used to shake cold water and flour in to make gravy…I had forgotten all about it until I saw yours and remembered her little jar like that…it said something on the top, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it said. It’s been lost to time now, but it was very nice seeing your set to bring back the memories. Very nice…all of it.

12 Tracey September 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I’m impressed that even though you were skeptical of the pepper you rolled the sides of the cookies in it. I wasn’t that brave 🙂 Like you, I was pleasantly surprised by these – they were delicious!

13 Jacque September 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I was pleasantly surprised too. Yours look extra delish with the crunchy S&P on the sides. Nice work!

14 Cakelaw September 21, 2011 at 6:27 am

I love your cookie stacks – they look adorable.

15 Spike September 22, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Cute salt and pepper shakers! glad you enjoyed. I want to try the cinnamon chicken recipe from FFWD- funny how that recipe uses more dessert spices and this one uses more cooking spices

16 Judy September 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Great idea to garnish the edges with extra salt and pepper. I, also, was curious about the salt and pepper shakers.

17 Jessica September 26, 2011 at 11:13 am

Judy & Kayte: The Jadite S&P shakers are part of a set that I found in an antique store a few years ago. They match a grease jar with the same type of lid. There are three tulips on top and the sides have a beehive-type look. I love them! 🙂

18 Eliana September 29, 2011 at 9:58 am

These look like the perfect combination of salt, sweet and spice!

19 Weekend Cowgirl September 29, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I am really loving anything chocolate with the sea salt. Had some candy and it was terribly good. Had some ice cream this summer with that combination which was fabulous.