Tuesdays With Dorie – Classic Brownies

by Jessica on September 13, 2011

Photobucket

C will only eat a handful of sweets; one of which, he’ll announce is his favorite… the brownie. I’ve been asked several times (in the voice of Matthew McConaughey, a la Dazed & Confused) if I was making brownies, because “it’d be a lot cooler if I were.” If these squares of fudgy chocolate were set on the table every night after dinner, he’d be one incredibly happy guy. So, I was excited to give these a try. After all of the brownie tests I’ve done, I was surprised that I’d never added this recipe to the rotation. However, these turned out be more dry and a tad too cakey for my tastes, but the guys at work loved them and were even asking for more the next day! C said they were good, but I think he’s still in love with the Baked brownies I made for him when we first started dating. Incredibly simple, and as the name suggests, they’re a classic!

Photobucket

Anne of Anne Strawberry is this week’s hostess. She’ll have the recipe listed on her blog and if you’re interested to see how the other TWD bakers interpreted this pick, click over to the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post!

Classic Brownies (pg. 88)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Photobucket

Sigma Kappa Sorority

I also have the honor of being featured in an article on ‘Blogging from the Heart’ in the Summer 2011 edition of Sigma Kappa Sorority’s Triangle. If you have a few minutes, give it a read. You’ll not only see my smiling face, but you’ll discover several new blogs ranging from family to entertainment & travel and of course, food!! Dove Love! 🙂

Photobucket

1 Valerie September 13, 2011 at 9:18 am

Jessica, please tell me your secret to slicing brownies, they look so neat and symmetrical (mine always have sloping shoulders.)
Perhaps I took my brownies out of the oven a bit too early because mine were on the fudgy side. Cakey, or fudgy, they were great. 😀

2 Michelle September 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

Congrats on your blog being in an article! How nice! Im glad the guys at work liked the brownies, they look great!

3 Di September 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

Those look great, Jessica! Sorry to hear that they didn’t turn out quite the way you wanted. Mine were pretty fudgy, but I pulled them out a bit early (30 minutes) because I really hate it when I overbake brownies.

4 Tracey September 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm

These didn’t overtake our current favorite either, but we threw some ice cream on top and enjoyed them anyway 🙂 Congrats on the feature, that’s fantastic!

5 Nic September 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm

gorgeous, love that green plate too!

6 AnneStrawberry September 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I love your green plate too- it looks so pretty with the rich chocolatey brownies! I still need to try the Baked brownies, I keep hearing how awesome they are!

7 Caitlin @ Cake with Love September 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm

These look dangerous, and addictive, do they have walnuts?? is so I am sold!!

8 Jessica September 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I love that you brought Dazed and Confused into your post. I can hear that line now!

The brownies look excellent, although I agree that it’s hard to beat Baked.

9 Cakelaw September 13, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Your brownies look delightful – and how could anyone resist the Matthew McConaughey voice!

10 Chaya September 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Your brownies look like classic brownies. They are just right. I never get anything with such a straight edge. My brownies are ragged but they are fudgy, also.

I am happy for your recognition.

11 Pamela September 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Those look fantastic!!

12 Katrina September 13, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Well, they don’t look dry. Yeah, I can’t believe I’d say this, but these were almost TOO dark/bittersweet for me. Sticking with my go-to, but you’re not the first to mention the Baked brownies and I haven’t tried those yet!

13 Kelly September 14, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I read about you in Triangle and had to check the site out immediately. I just started my own site (www.blacksheepkitchen.com) and yours is such an inspiration!! I told my readers about you in a recent blog post so hopefully you’ll get some new followers. Love the site- great to see a fellow Sigma Kappa making it in the crazy world of food blogging!!

Dove Love!
Kelly

14 Judy September 14, 2011 at 9:33 pm

It’s nice to know there is a brownie for everyone. I always revert to my favorite recipe, too.

15 Eliana September 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Few things are better than a classic brownies. These look amazing.

16 steph (whisk/spoon) September 16, 2011 at 9:19 am

you do do a great job of cutting brownies! everyone has a favorite recipe, but these are looking pretty good to me!

17 Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers September 16, 2011 at 9:31 am

Hi Jessica – Thanks so much for the sweet comment on my blog post and congrats on also being in the Triangle! I was so excited when they announced they were going to do a blogger article this season. I look forward to keeping up with you and the other SK bloggers!

18 Margaret September 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm

That is one beautiful plate of brownies. Sorry they were dry and not your style. The look perfect.