French Fridays with Dorie – Simple Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

by Jessica on August 5, 2011

Simple Slow-Roasted Tomatoes | http://mybakingheart.com

Slow-roasted. Sound familiar? Or feel familiar? If you’re in the South, you know exactly what I’m talking about. Once you step foot outdoors in this ridiculously hot weather, you begin to slowly roast. It’s like opening a steamy oven door or sitting in a sauna for half an hour. It’s absolutely miserable.

One thing that makes it a bit bearable is Dorie’s Simple Slow-Roasted Tomatoes, this week’s pick via French Fridays with Dorie. Simple, as the name suggests. Incredibly flavorful, too… with a small preview, as the warm smell drifts through the entire house during the roasting process. And during those few hours, I had dreams of big bowls of pasta topped with these tiny red tomatoes. Whether you’re cooking for just two people or a crowd, it’s perfect to prepare ahead of time to serve to dinner guests.

Simple Slow-Roasted Tomatoes | http://mybakingheart.com

Ready for the oven!

#46 – Simple Slow-Roasted Tomatoes (pg. 344-345)

Grab the recipe from the book or head over to Dorie’s website where she has a great post about these fabulous tomatoes!

Simple Slow-Roasted Tomatoes | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Cheryl August 5, 2011 at 11:36 am

Oh, I was looking at your pretty blog while you were checking out mine! Your tomatoes look yummy, and next time I am adding garlic because those cloves just look so happy. Isn’t it good be be cooking with Dorie again?

2 Amanda August 5, 2011 at 11:38 am

I have always wondered how to roast tomatoes. They look so good, and you can do so much with them.

3 FrolickingNightOwl August 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

very nice photos!!

4 Elin August 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

5 Elin August 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm

nice pictures and you did a nice job . I paired mine with pan fried dijon mustard pork chop :)) Have a nice weekend,
Elin

6 Phyl August 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Nice job! Your tomatoes look great! I loved this recipe and can’t wait to go to the farmer’s market tomorrow to get more tomatoes to make this again.

7 Frankly Entertaining August 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Your photos are making me hungry!! I love that are so many uses for this recipe.

8 one expat's life August 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm

You are very brave to turn your oven on in that heat, but I guess you guys are used to it in the South. I have a strict policy against turning the oven on as soon as the temps go over 80, but since we are having such crap weather in Europe this summer, it wasn’t a problem for me.

Your tomatoes look delicious! We loved this one too.

9 kitchenarian August 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I loved this recipe. I wish I had double or tripled the recipe. Your pictures are beautiful. They really capture the rustic quality of the dish.

10 Elaine August 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Beautiful photos, Jessica! I feel your pain. I was in Florida recently and gently steamed away… ­čśë

11 Betsy August 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm

These were just so delicious! I loved your photos, especially the one in the jar.

12 Amish Stories August 6, 2011 at 8:25 am

Greetings from the Amish community of Lebanon,Pa. Richard from Amish Stories.

13 Adriana August 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

I’m loving the tomato-y oil infused with the tomatoes. At least the oven went low and slow and didn’t overheat our already warm kitchens!

14 Teresa August 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Lovely photos! I’m so happy with this recipe and I think I’m going to be keeping these on hand on a regular basis.

15 Tricia S. August 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Nana and I enjoyed these as well as were surprised that we had never made them before (since Nana’s hubby is Italian). We finally got some heat relief in PA but I was still a bit hesitant to turn that oven on for 3 hours – thank goodness these turned out so amazing !!

16 Cher August 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I must say I was relieved that if I had to turn on the oven in this heat it only had to go up to 225F…
Lovely pictures.

17 StephIrey August 7, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Your tomatoes look so sweet, I just want to gobble them up!

18 KarenP August 10, 2011 at 12:06 am

Beautiful pictures! We really enjoyed these too, and I can’t wait to make them again.