Tuesdays With Dorie – Whole Wheat Cinnamon Pecan Scones

by Jessica on July 19, 2011

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Another day, another scone! If you haven’t already noticed, I altered this week’s TWD recipe once again. Chestnut flour is impossible to find around these parts. Absolutely impossible. I even drove the 40 miles down to the closest Whole Foods and couldn’t get my hands on any.

Since I was unable to locate some, I equally subbed whole wheat flour and added in 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans. And as soon as I opened that oven door, I was transported about three months ahead into Fall. The entire house smelled of cinnamony goodness and those little scones never had a chance. Within a few minutes, I had devoured two!

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Pecan Scones 2

This week’s hostess is Andrea of Andrea in the Kitchen. You can find the recipe on her blog and a list of this week’s participants on the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post over on Tuesdays With Dorie!

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Pecan Scones (pg. 34)
Adapted from: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Pecan Scones 3

1 Nicole July 19, 2011 at 11:07 am

I love fall baking so your variation sounds excellent. I used coconut flour and it was pretty good.

2 jeannette July 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm

fantastic substitution. i am DEFINITELY going to try subbing WW flour for the chestnut flour! i can’t wait until autumn!! i have been making pumkin this and apple that trying to speed things along… at least in my kitchen 😉

3 yummychunklet July 19, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Good call on the whole wheat flour substitution, but kudos for trying to get your hands on chestnut flour!

4 Michelle July 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Great sub, using the ww flour. I guess that CN flour is real hard to find! They look good!

5 cindy July 19, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I love your subs., chestnut flour is too gourmet to be found in my smallish UT town. But I do love pecans and cinnamon.

6 Valerie July 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Great chestnut flour substitute, your scones look perfect! I was bit sconed out after last week, but I’ll try using whole wheat flour/cinnamon when the craving hits. 🙂

7 Eliana July 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm

These remind me of the scones I just blogged about. They look so comforting and delicious.