Tuesdays With Dorie – Buttermilk Scones

by Jessica on July 12, 2011

Buttermilk Scones

You’ll notice that these scones are a bit different than the ones my fellow bakers are posting today. With not a drop of heavy cream in the house and no time to run to the store, I subbed in buttermilk… and I’m delightfully glad I did, too. They were dense, but flaky and fluffy at the same time. And they had that sour bite that I get from my favorite biscuits. My only problem is keeping them in the house. Because every time I walk into the kitchen, they stare longingly, calling out for me to take just one more bite!

Buttermilk Scones 2

Lynne of Cafe LynnyLu is this week’s sweet hostess. I just adore her blog and the gorgeous photos that she posts – if you’re looking for the way to make these scones, she’ll have it listed. And don’t forget to check out the other TWD bloggers who baked along this week by clicking over to today’s ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post!

Buttermilk Scones (pg. 27)
Adapted from: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Buttermilk Scones 3

1 Kayte July 12, 2011 at 11:01 am

Love buttermilk…am sure these were as good as they look!

2 Peggy July 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

I love buttermilk and I’m sure it made these taste great. They look just perfect.

3 Nicole July 12, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I like using buttermilk since it adds that tang to whatever you are making. Good substitute! They are really picture-perfect!

4 steph (whisk/spoon) July 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

nice to know we can make that sub. they look great!

5 Spike July 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm

love buttermilk. the scones look simple and lovely- the best kind of baked good!

6 Lauryn July 12, 2011 at 8:03 pm

yum!!! I bet they were great with the buttermilk, and a little healthier too!!!

7 Lynne July 13, 2011 at 4:49 am

Buttermilk works, too and maybe can assuage the guilt of eating the scones. They look delicious. Thanks for baking with me.

8 Margaret July 13, 2011 at 9:16 am

Great idea to sub Buttermilk. Have to try that one. Bet they were delicious.

9 Elaine July 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Your scones look perfect! What a great substitution!

10 Tracey July 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Great substitution, it’s definitely easier to justify two if they don’t have the cream. I love the visible flaky layers in yours!

11 Valerie July 14, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Buttermilk is always a welcome substitute for just about anything! Your scones look fluffy, and happy. ­čśÇ

12 Cakelawg July 19, 2011 at 7:22 am

Buttermilk would have been a perfect sub-in – these were delicious scones.

13 Cynthia August 15, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Love your work on your blog and I’ll be sure to check out this scone recipe! I wanted to personally invite you to be one of the first cooking Advisors on ShopSquad (http://www.shopsquad.com/?vsrc=FDs), a free shopping advice website where shoppers and your readers can ask Advisors (i.e. you!) for advice.

If you recommend kitchen tools, cookware, or appliances that are purchased, you get a percentage of the sale. You’re already sharing your expertise through your blog, so why not earn more money for it? You can also earn $5 for each of your readers who signs up (http://www.shopsquad.com/shoptags/?vsrc=FDs).

Read our great press coverage (http://www.shopsquad.com/about/?vsrc=FDs) or learn how ShopSquad works (http://www.shopsquad.com/howitworks/?vsrc=FDs). When you’re ready, sign up free at http://www.shopsquad.com.

Feel free to ask me any questions: cynthia@shopsquad.com.

Thanks!