French Fridays with Dorie – Mozzarella, Tomato and Strawberry Salad

by Jessica on June 24, 2011

Mozzarella, Tomato and Strawberry Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

During our last trip to Germany, our friend Jindra (pronounced Heen-drah) took us to the Gewürz Depot on one of our (many) shopping excursions into Regensburg. The shop itself was quaint, unassuming and definitely not one of the touristy-types that line the main streets of the city center.

Once inside, Jindra insisted that we take home several jars of their ‘Mozzarella-Tomaten-Gewürz’ mix. It’s what she had been using all week long on the Caprese Salads she served us (which were out of this world). Obviously, Customs would’ve had a field day with Mom and me if we were carrying jars upon jars of spices, so we just grabbed a small bag each and went on our way. Now, I’m a little fuzzy on my German, but to make Mango proud, I studied up a bit to read you the label. It’s filled with dried tomatoes, onion, salt, basil, chili powder, garlic, paprika, thyme, oregano, pepper and parsley. Hey… what do you know? I’m not as fuzzy as I thought.

And it’s on this salad that I used this yummy little spice mix. Even with Dorie’s addition of strawberries to the recipe, it’s a great reminder of Jindra’s Caprese Salads. The berries punch things up, giving the normal Tomato-Mozzarella Salad a sweet side. It’s fresh, bursting with flavor and super-colorful. One dish that’s absolutely perfect for Summer!

Mozzarella, Tomato and Strawberry Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

You can grab the recipe from Around My French Table and see how others interpreted Dorie’s salad on the FFwD ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post!

#40 – Mozzarella, Tomato and Strawberry Salad (pg. 118-120)

Mozzarella, Tomato and Strawberry Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Valerie June 24, 2011 at 9:04 am

This looks so refreshing! I’d have never thought of putting strawberries and mozzarella together…leave it to Dorie. 😀
Way to translate the ingredients! It’s funny how we remember more than we think we do when it comes to foreign languages.

2 Eliana June 24, 2011 at 9:38 am

I would have never thought to combine these three ingredients but they are just perfect for summer. Looks wonderful Jessica.

3 Allison June 24, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love your photography! It’s stunning!

4 Dessert By Candy June 24, 2011 at 9:47 am

Mmm, that spice mix does sound delicious. So glad you’re able to recreate a little travel memory right at home!

5 pachecopatty June 24, 2011 at 10:40 am

Beautiful salad, your photos are so inviting! I like picking up spices when I travel, it’s a great travel memory you can enjoy for a long time;-)

6 Cher June 24, 2011 at 11:29 am

Georgeous photos.
My favorite thing to do when travelling is pick up some random food item I can’t normally get home. I am sure the family scratches their head at some of my choices (or maybe they are just used to it)

7 Eileen June 24, 2011 at 11:29 am

Ooooh, that spice mix sounds amazing. We have a stash of a german spice mix that my husband uses for potato soup in the fall. It’s one of the things he fell in love with when he studied in Berlin in college. Those Germans have a knack for the spice mixes, huh?

8 Liz June 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

Oh, how lucky you are to have a fabulous German spice mix! Your salad is lovely…I’d love of plate of it for lunch 🙂

9 yummychunklet June 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

Your salad looks divine especially with all the herbage!

10 Tammy June 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I love to pick up spices and wooden spoons when I travel. My utensil crock tells stories! 🙂

11 yvette June 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Great use of the spices, looks lovely!

12 Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen June 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm

That German spice mix on your salad sure made it look more inviting! I wish I’d thought of sprinkling something like that, or at least added some chili flakes to give the salad a kick. Kudos on your German translation!

13 Nana June 24, 2011 at 6:23 pm

That German spice looks wonderful on your salad. It adds that
extra special something to it. One of the things we love to do when traveling in Europe is purchase items in the supermarkets.
They have so many unusual items that travel well. I have
fun trying to translate when I get home. Tricia and I had
a difference of opinion about this recipe, but it was certainly
easy to prepare.

14 Adriana June 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm

The jarred caprese salads sound fantastic. Kudos on remembering more German than what you thought. Sundried tomatoes would have been a lovely addition to Dorie’s salad for a salty bite.

15 Lola June 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Its good to be back and thank you for the welcome! I love your seasoning for the salad!

16 Lana June 24, 2011 at 11:15 pm

When I visit my sister in Germany, I buy only food stuff (spicy tomato paste that won numerous awards, mustards, spice mixes, cheeses) and toiletries (everything just smells so much better there:)
I can relate with trying to re-create dishes that stayed in your memory and reminded you of your friend:) Those spices could have only enhanced this beautiful salad:)

17 Teresa June 25, 2011 at 3:40 am

I love that you put a personal touch into this salad with your friend’s favourite Caprese spice mix. Sounds like a delicious variation!

18 sanya June 25, 2011 at 7:49 am

Spice mix! That sounds great! What a good idea!
Beautiful photos!

19 Betsy June 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love the extra bits of color your spice mix adds to this gorgeous dish. And you got to remember a friend and happy memories at the same time. Nice post!

20 Trix June 25, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Ah, I am very envious of your trip to the gewurz shop! I love to stock up on spices on my travels, but then I am always so stingy in my use of them when I get home for fear of running out. Kind of defeats the purpose, lol. I am glad you are more generous with your treasures! Sounds great.

21 oneexpatslife July 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I’m a little late catching up with last week’s reading, but as someone who lives in Germany I was interested to read about this tomato spice mix. I may have to go track it down and give it a try!