Tuesdays With Dorie – Chocolate Chip & Almond Loaf

by Jessica on June 21, 2011

C and I took a little getaway up to Arkansas to visit family this past week, and after three days of Subway, Chick-fil-A, greasy pizzas and processed Mexican food, I was definitely craving a bit of home-cooked, comfort food. Now, I’m sure when you think of ‘comfort food’, you think of chicken fried steaks, mashed potatoes, green beans, maybe a bit of macaroni & cheese, yes? Not me. I think of fresh baked bread with a thick slabs of butter, crisp peanut butter cookies, tart cherry cream pies and warm slices of cake… such as this Chocolate Chip & Almond Loaf from Baking.

Chocolate Chip & Almond Loaf

I did take a few detours on this week’s TWD pick. You’ll notice that there are no dates or even raisins. I can’t handle dates at all and I’m only fond of raisins in Oatmeal Raisin cookies, so this ‘Date & Nut Loaf’ turned into a Chocolate Chip & Almond one instead. And I have to say, it’s pretty darn good. When it comes to sweet treats, I’ve been super-disciplined these past six months. But, when I opened the oven and inhaled the delectable smells coming from that loaf pan, I had to give in. Points be damned… this totally made my week.

Chocolate Chip & Almond Loaf 2

Many thanks to this week’s hostess, Mary, of Popsicles and Sandy Feet. Click over to her blog for the recipe and for a list of other loaves that hit the web today, check out the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post on the TWD page!

Chocolate Chip & Almond Loaf (pg. 228)
Adapted from: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1 Becky O. June 21, 2011 at 9:02 am

Okay, I would love to try this with chocolate chips. I bet the almonds were a delicious pairing.

I did dates and pecans. I loved it.

2 yummychunklet June 21, 2011 at 9:12 am

What a great and tasty twist with the chocolate and almonds! Looks delicious. What part of Arkansas? I grew up in the northeast corner.

3 Jessica June 21, 2011 at 9:21 am

Close! Rogers! ­čÖé

4 Lauryn June 21, 2011 at 9:53 am

your bread looks fantastic!! I bet with those chocolate chips it was out of this world!!!!!

5 Chaya June 21, 2011 at 10:14 am

Your chocolate chip almonds sounds better to me than the dates. Dates are for hubby. Chocolate chips are all MINE.

I so understand you about comfort food being freshly baked bread and treats over the more commonly thought of. When, I look for soothing, these days, I want a tossed salad with cranberry-pecan goat cheese and a slice of still warm bread.

6 Spike June 21, 2011 at 10:21 am

I was so tempted to skip the dates and go with chocolate. I ended up liking the dates a lot but when put next to your cake, I think the choice might be different

7 cindy June 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

In my old age I have learned to love dates–but I love chocolate chips even more! So I’m sure your cake/bread was delish. It was a killer recipe however one made it. I think cookies are my comfort food.
Have a great day.

8 peggy June 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

Oh I love your way of thinking about comfort food – I love breads too. I am sure your cake was delicious with the substitutions you made.

9 Cakelaw June 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I think your sub-ins sound better than the original – great picks!

10 Nicole June 21, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I think bread is the ultimate comfort food. With lots of salty butter. Although I guess this is technically a cake, I think this fits. I loved the dates with this, but your variation looks very good!

11 tia @ buttercreambarbie June 21, 2011 at 11:33 pm

looks crisp on the outside, tender inside. perfect.

12 Eliana June 22, 2011 at 11:27 am

Comfort food doesn’t get better than this Jessica. Looks perfect to me.

13 steph (whisk/spoon) June 22, 2011 at 5:48 pm

man, i wish we had a chick-fil-a in nyc! this loaf looks great–nice take on it. love the crackly, bumpy top.

14 Jill June 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I like dates, but this would be so good with chocolate chips! Good choice to add them instead of dried fruit!

15 Mary June 23, 2011 at 4:44 am

I love that you made this your own with chocolate and nuts…very cool variation. Thanks so much for baking along with me this week.

16 Margaret June 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Bet these were good with choco chips and almonds. Have to try your version even tho was good with dates.

17 Jessica July 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I think your version would have been my cup of tea – I like dates, but I love chocolate chips!