French Fridays with Dorie – Cardamom Rice Pilaf

by Jessica on May 27, 2011

Cardamom Rice Pilaf | http://mybakingheart.com

I admit it. I’m addicted to carbs. Always have been, always will be… it’s just a fact. So you can imagine how I excited I get with each carb-laden FFwD pick that shows up in our Recipe List. Especially since I’ve scaled back quite a bit on those precious breads, pastas and rices in the last twenty weeks.

Yes, twenty weeks. I’m 25 pounds lighter because of it, but it’s pretty obvious that it’s been a while since I’ve had a nice bowl of rice. So, thank you Dorie, for reuniting me with my first love… I’ve missed it so.

Cardamom Rice Pilaf | http://mybakingheart.com

This rice isn’t for the weak, though. The fresh cardamom pods punch things up five or six notches and nasal passages are cleared just enough to smell the fragrant aroma that floats up from the stove. See the flecks of cardamom? Those tiny spots are God’s gift to the tongue. And cooking the rice in chicken broth makes this flavorful dish all the more richer. It’s a side that would be perfect with lamb and one that I’m certainly adding to my list of go-to’s.

#36 – Cardamom Rice Pilaf (pg. 382)

Cardamom Rice Pilaf | http://mybakingheart.com

(Carb Lover)

1 yummychunklet May 27, 2011 at 9:05 am

Congrats on your scaling back efforts and your 25-lbs. lighter results!

2 K May 27, 2011 at 11:34 am

From a fellow carb lover – congrats and the pilaf looks lovely!

3 Kate@Diethood May 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm

25 pounds?! That’s great!!
The rice looks amazing. I LOVE your bowl!

4 Adriana May 27, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Way to go, Jessica! Your rice looks perfectly speckled. It’s good to treat yourself once in a while.

5 Susan May 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Congratulations on your weight loss! I’m addicted to carbohydrates, too! Your rice looks great & I think it would make a wonderful addition to any meal you’d like to imbue with flavor. Enjoy your weekend!

6 kathleen May 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

In my house pasta is served 4 times a week (Italian husband). But I, too, am a carb craver, which explains why I need to drop 10 pounds easy! I like to blame some of it on metabolism. As we age, we gain weight (many of us do.)
I think I made an error when I added the pods. I left the pods intact without removing the black seeds within. I am literal much of the time….it didn’t say remove the seeds from the pod, it just said to bruise them, which I did only the whole pod. I am having a good laugh at myself!

7 Joyti May 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Twenty-five pounds in twenty weeks!? That is really amazing and very admirable.
And your rice looks delicious, very fluffy..

8 Tammy May 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Congratulations on the weight loss! Way to go.
I love your photos … that bowl is the perfect color to show off the rice. And it WAS delicious. I love basmati rice anyway and this was a wonderful preparation.

9 Christina May 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm

25 lbs?! Way to go!

Your pilaf looks great – pretty pictures.

10 KarenP May 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Congrats on the weight loss! Your photos look great – I really struggled with making interesting rice pictures. You are right that this rice would go great with lamb.

11 Chaya May 27, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Several people said that they were not sure how to plate the rice but with your fluffy rice and that plate, you found the answer. It looks just right.

12 Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen May 27, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Your translucent plate shows off the rice perfectly! I’m also in awe of your weight loss just by reducing carbs, I think I need to do the same thing and be kinder to my clothes ;-).

13 pachecopatty May 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Hi Jessica, you know how to make rice look good, it’s beautiful in your bowl;-)
It is good with lamb, I think this cardamom rice is a great side dish. Congratulations on your weight loss, that is quite an accomplishment;-)

14 Cher May 27, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Way to go on the 25 pounds! Woot. Woot.
Really lovely pictures.

15 nana May 27, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Congrats, 25 lbs, that is fantastic. Your rice looks wonderful,
and so delicious. Tricia and I were both pleased with
this week’s recipe, and both of our families enjoyed the
dish.

16 Elaine May 27, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Reading your post just makes me want to try making this again, Jessica. “God’s gift to the tongue.” How could I have missed that?! I just need to give cardamom another try. Congratulations on your weight loss!

17 Tracey May 27, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Wow, congrats Jessica – 25 pounds is such a huge accomplishment!

18 mygreatmenu May 27, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Congrats on the weight loss. What a great accomplishment!

19 Weekend Cowgirl May 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Congratulations on the 25 pounds! The rice looks great!

20 Betsy May 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Your rice looks delicious. I agree it would be perfect with rice, especially one in a yogurt marinade or something with Indian flavors.
Congrats on your weight loss. That’s an impressive achievement!

21 Candy May 30, 2011 at 6:46 am

Congrats on the weight loss! Your rice looks lovely! I love your tiffany blue bowl.