French Fridays with Dorie – Spinach and Bacon Quiche

by Jessica on May 13, 2011

Spinach and Bacon Quiche | http://mybakingheart.com

Time consuming? Yes. Worth it? Most definitely. We had this tasty little dish for dinner last night. It was a quintessential Spring meal, sitting alongside a yummy green salad.

Spinach and Bacon Quiche | http://mybakingheart.com

But like I mentioned above, this FFwD recipe was quite the project… two days, in fact. Day One consisted of putting the dough together, chilling it for three hours, then rolling it out and placing it in the tart pan, with another chilling session after that. The next day required a blind bake of the crust; steaming, draining, and wringing out the spinach; frying up the bacon, onions and garlic; placing it all in the crust, then finally pouring in the egg/cream mixture. After 30-40 minutes in the warm oven, it was ready (and so was I!). It was delicious, of course, but I think just a bit too fussy for a weeknight meal. This one is better left for those weekend brunches and church dinners, where you’ll be the envy of everyone in attendance. 🙂

Spinach and Bacon Quiche | http://mybakingheart.com

Want to check out other Spinach and Bacon Quiches hitting the web today? Then head over to the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post on the French Fridays site! We’d love to have you join us, so if you still haven’t bought a copy of this beautiful book, then get on it!

#34 – Spinach and Bacon Quiche (pg. 160-161)

Spinach and Bacon Quiche | http://mybakingheart.com

Spinach and Bacon Quiche | http://mybakingheart.com

1 K May 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

Looks absolutely beautiful (and delicious too, I couldn’t stop eating it). Love the plate too!

2 Maris (In Good Taste) May 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Quiche is one of my favorites! This looks absolutely perfect!

3 yummychunklet May 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I would agree that this tasty quiche is better suited as a weekend project. Though, if I pre-made the tart dough and just kept it onhand, I suppose it wouldn’t be as time consuming. Your quiche looks quite tasty! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

4 natalie (the sweets life) May 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm

glad it was worth the effort, it sure looks pretty! 🙂

5 DessertByCandy May 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I was not too motivate by the recipe once I realized how time consuming it was. But so glad that we all made it in the end. I’m in agreement about the fantastic result.

6 Susan May 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Beautifully done. Since this pastry is so great & used in so many of Dorie’s recipes, it did occur to me to mix up a couple batches & keep the disks in the freezer to make things go a little more quickly.

7 Jessica May 13, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I love where your head’s at, Susan! 🙂

8 Betsy May 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I’m having plate envy. Your colorful quiche looks beautiful on that colorful plate. I see what you mean about all the steps, but I just break it down. One morning, mix the dough and chill. That evening, roll it out and chill again. The next morning, I partially bake, then fill it for dinner.
I’m glad you found it worth it in the end. It was delicious

9 Christina May 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I love your blue and yellow plate! It looks very French country and it’s so perfect to display a slice of quiche. So beautiful!

10 Cakelaw May 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Your quiche looks beautiful – and I want to steal your plate – love the pattern.

11 KarenP May 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Gorgeous! Mine was a two day process too, because I didn’t notice the second resting period until it was too late!

12 Margaret May 14, 2011 at 12:50 am

That looks luscious. Much meltier than mine. It was delcious and well worth the time it took to make.

13 Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen May 14, 2011 at 5:57 am

What a sumptuous looking quiche, love the striking colors. It’s definitely worth the two days spent making it, don’t you agree?

14 Cher May 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

Lovely pictures, as always.
I so totally missed the blind bake on this one. Smacks forehead.

15 nana May 14, 2011 at 9:29 am

Absolutely gorgeous. It makes life much easier when we
do this in stages as you did, takes the pressure off cooking.
I love your plate, so very colorful. Tricia and I both enjoyed
this week’s recipe and I’m certain we will be making this
time and time again, we loved it.

16 Trix May 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Well, it definitely looks like all the work you did was worth it! As for me, I did a crustless quiche and sauteed the spinach with the other veg .. lazy much? lol.

17 Allison May 14, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Your quiche looks great! It’s definitely a recipe for the arsenal!

18 kitchenarian May 15, 2011 at 9:24 am

Such a beautiful picture. This was definitely worth the effort; such a great recipe. I will be making this one again and again.

19 Elaine May 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I opted not to make the crust on this for several reasons, one of which was the time element involved in making the tart shell. Your quiche looks perfect, Jessica!

20 Pamela May 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I was just happy to get a FFWD recipe completed on time and posted! Looks great! It was a little time consuming. I almost cheated on the dough, but I was glad I didn’t!

21 Spike May 16, 2011 at 7:55 am

I cheated and took a short cut with the dough. It was awesome wasn’t it? Yours looks picture perfect

22 Renee @kudoskitchen May 17, 2011 at 8:43 pm

As always, your food styling and presentation are wonderful. Looks magazine worthy if you ask me! Stunning.