Tuesdays with Dorie – Strawberry Rhubarb Double Crisp

by Jessica on April 12, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Double Crisp

Rhubarb was something that I always said no to. It looked funky and I assumed it tasted even worse. But last year, during our trip to Germany and the Czech Republic, I was served a piece of Rhubarb Cake and I fell in love. Head-over-heels, shout-it-from-the-rooftops love, mind you. It came from the kitchen of a dear friend’s mother and it couldn’t have been more perfect. I made that trip over ten months ago and I’m still trying to get the recipe. Guess I need to brush up on my Czech and write a few more letters. 😉

Dorie’s crisp is similar, in that it has that rustic, homemade, heartfelt taste. It’s quick, flavorful and aside from being completely adaptable to any palate, it’s one that makes for the perfect anytime treat. This recipe will definitely show up again at our Summer cookouts… and maybe even before then!

Strawberry Rhubarb Double Crisp 2

Sarah of Teapots and Cakestands is this week’s hostess. Head on over to her blog to grab the recipe… and to see how the other TWD members adapted this crisp to their own tastes, check out this week’s ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post!

Strawberry Rhubarb Double Crisp (pg. 420-421)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Strawberry Rhubarb Double Crisp 3

Starbucks

1 cindy harris April 12, 2011 at 1:34 am

This was a great treat! I was unable to locate rhubarb in my smallish town. I used a frozen bag of mixed fruit. It was delish. I can’t wait to try it again when my rhubarb is on. Have a great day. Yours looks beautiful.

2 Mary April 12, 2011 at 6:22 am

That sounds like a lovely vacation….anywhere that has rhubarb cake is a place I would like to visit!

3 Valerie April 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

I’m so glad that someone was able to find rhubarb! Your crisp looks delicious and perfectly rustic. 🙂

4 Michelle April 12, 2011 at 9:16 am

Your crisp looks very tasty! Im glad you enjoyed this recipe! I left the rhubarb out because I couldn’t find any:)

5 Gina @the Addicted Baker April 12, 2011 at 9:24 am

Your crisp looks quite delicious. It stays together which makes it look amazing. How was baking with rhubarb? I have yet to get there in my baking.

6 Jodie April 12, 2011 at 11:53 am

I need to get brave and try rhubarb. I haven’t had it since I was about 5. Your crisp looks fantastic!

7 Nicole April 12, 2011 at 11:57 am

I hadn’t baked with rhubarb before and I really liked it! I love crisps so I was so happy with this week’s recipe.

8 Tracey April 12, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I tried rhubarb for the first time last year & didn’t have high expectations either, but I really love it with strawberries now. Your crisp looks great, glad it was a hit!

9 Spike April 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm

absolutely perfect for a summer cookout!

10 Sarah April 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Thanks so much for baking along with me this week! Glad you loved the recipe!

11 Jill April 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Your crisp looks absolutely lovely! I couldn’t find rhubarb, but I do like it.

12 Mary April 12, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I love rhubarb cake too, so if you do get that recipe be sure to share! Your crisp looks amazing, but then I’m pretty sweet on rhubarb too!

13 Katrina April 13, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Your crisp look de-lish.
Last year I made a rhubarb cake I had in a class I took from my favorite chef back in Kansas. I blogged about it. I have no idea if it is even similar to your Czech dream cake, but you can take a look if you want.
Here is also another one I made last year that is different from the other.
They are both really good.
Hope someday you do find the cake you’re looking for. 😉

14 Elaine April 13, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I love rhubarb cake, pie, cupcakes, muffins – anything with rhubarb. Your crisp looks delightful, Jessica!

15 Jessica April 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Your crisp looks so crumbly and brown-sugary on top…delicious!

16 Kayte April 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

Rhubarb is addicting, isn’t it…can’t quite describe the flavor to anyone no matter how hard I try. Your crisp looks lovely and elegant on that beautiful plate!