French Fridays with Dorie – Quinoa, Fruit and Nut Salad

by Jessica on April 1, 2011

Quinoa, Fruit and Nut Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

Salad for breakfast? Most definitely… especially if it’s this one.

I was excited to see this recipe in the lineup for April since I’ve recently jumped on the quinoa bandwagon. Not only is it high in fiber and protein, but also magnesium and iron. Quadruple score! I’m not the biggest fan of dried fruit, so I subbed a large amount of fresh and then topped it all with sliced almonds. It was an amazing way to start my Wednesday & Thursday mornings and I can’t wait to have another serving at lunch today! ­čÖé

Quinoa, Fruit and Nut Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

Grab the book and join us – we’re always looking for new members! Next week is a Garlicky Crumb-Coated Broccoli and I know it will be amazing!

#28 – Quinoa, Fruit and Nut Salad (pg. 138)

Quinoa, Fruit and Nut Salad | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Allison April 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

Love all the fresh fruit in your salad! Gorgeous! You rock sista!

2 Erin April 1, 2011 at 11:07 am

Ugh that looks so tasty! You’re gonna make me break down and buy the book.

3 yummychunklet April 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

I love your salad! I’m with you on the fresh fruit substitution. Dried fruit also packs a lot of calories that I’d rather spend somewhere else. I also used fresh fruit but not as much as yours, which looks amazing!

4 Yuri April 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Love the colors on your plate!! I didn’t feel like using raisins and dried fruits so the star in my salad was fresh mango. Yay for fresh fruits and quinoa!

5 Kathy April 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Love the way your salad looks! So fresh! A totally different take on this recipe. Great job! That’s my kind of breakfast!

6 Cher April 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

All I can say is wow, wow, wow. Love the fresh fruit. Save a blackberry for me…

7 Tricia S. April 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm

oh wow !! Great idea and such gorgeous photos. I would really like to have a dish right now please ­čÖé I had thought that this ingredient (new to Nana and I) had potential for breakfast as well….and your post sold me on how to do it. I will definitely be trying this. Stunning.

8 Tammy April 1, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I love that you used fresh fruit. At the end of my own post, I suggested fresh tomatoes and red peppers with feta topping it … a Greek twist for a cool summer salad.
Lovely photos, too.

9 Adriana April 1, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Jessica, your salad looks incredible! I have done quinoa as a breakfast cereal before but nowhere near as bounti/beautiful. Congratulations!

10 Sis. Boom. April 1, 2011 at 8:47 pm

OH yes. Breakfast cereal with fruit. Perfect. Great job!

11 Elaine April 2, 2011 at 12:00 am

What a fantastic idea! Fresh fruit can only elevate this dish! I have got to try it. Great photos!

12 Mary April 2, 2011 at 8:15 am

I love how it looks with fresh fruit. I will have to try out that option…thanks.

13 Jen @ My Morning Chocolate April 2, 2011 at 8:44 am

Your salad looks so pretty with all of that fresh fruit! I bet it would be amazing with a maple vinaigrette or maple yogurt.

14 Betsy April 2, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Your breakfast salad looks amazing with all that gorgeous fresh fruit. I’m going to have to try it that way.

15 Lana April 3, 2011 at 2:56 am

Beautiful photos! I made quinoa salad several times, experimenting with additions, and fresh fruit goes really well as quinoa really adapts to anything. Your dish looks so refreshing and light, that I can imagine how good it tasted for breakfast.

16 Monica (Ms. Hobby) April 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

I love that you made this a breakfast salad! It looks amazing with the fresh berries. I thought this had many of the same items as my normal breakfast, but never would have thought to go ahead and make this breakfast. Great idea, I’ll have to try it sometime!

17 StephIrey April 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

OMG…I’m in love with your interpretation of this salad. What a fabulous idea to use such beautiful fresh fruit and eat it for breakfast! (I actually ate mine for breakfast a couple of times…as we had so much of it…but with your fruit combo it would have been much more satisfying). Beautiful pictures!!

18 Cakelaw April 5, 2011 at 6:48 am

I adore the appearance of your fresh fruit version of this salad – makes it look so appetising.

19 Teresa April 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

That’s wonderful. I’m planning on trying it that way once berry season (finally) gets here. For now, I have to content myself with preparing garden beds and starting to plant.

20 Eliana April 6, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Awesome twist on a salad. And love all the fresh fruit in it too. It’s really making crave summer.