French Fridays with Dorie – Salted Butter Break-Ups

by Jessica on March 18, 2011

Salted Butter Break-Ups | http://mybakingheart.com

Making this is like making a pie crust. The processor is pulled out and the dry ingredients pulsed together. Bits of butter are cut up and added in. Then a few tablespoons of cold water are drizzled on top and the dough is patted together to be wrapped in plastic and chilled in the fridge for an hour or two.

I normally hate making pie crusts. Now don’t get me wrong… I love, love, love eating them, but the fairly long process of putting one together seems like a lot of work. I do it, all the while hating the thought of cutting up all those tiny bits of butter (and cleaning up the food processor), but in the end, I definitely enjoy the result. Especially when it’s Dorie’s Sweet Tart Dough. And this cookie? It’s just as perfect. Great news, too… when broken up into 25 pieces, it’s only 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus™ per piece! 🙂

Salted Butter Break-Ups | http://mybakingheart.com

Instead of hatching the dough with a fork like Dorie suggests, I took an antique crimper and rolled a diamond pattern. Easier and quicker in my book! I did have issues with the baking time, though. My cookie wasn’t in the oven 15 minutes before it started to turn a very dark brown. I had to take it out around 18… otherwise I would’ve had a charred frisbee on my hands. Was I the only one?? Click over to the FFwD ‘Leave-Your-Link’ page to find out!

#26 – Salted Butter Break-Ups (pgs. 400-401)

Salted Butter Break-Ups | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Spike March 18, 2011 at 7:57 am

I love your design! This was a fun, easy recipe

2 Elaine March 18, 2011 at 8:04 am

Using the antique crimper is a great idea, Jessica. I love the diamond pattern. I agree that the timing is crucial for this and I had to keeping checking on mind. Yours looks so good and crispy!

3 Susan March 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

Love your quilted-looking pattern! I always set the timer for 5 – 10 mins less than recipes say when I bake – you can always add time, but once womething is over-cooked, that’s it!

4 Cher March 18, 2011 at 11:47 am

Too funny that you figured out the points value per piece 🙂
Glad you were able to save this from a frisbee – as always, it looks lovely.

5 Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! March 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I was trying to find something around the house to make a different pattern also, but all we had were some fondant designs of brick and stone, so I went with the fork. If you can stop after eating only 1/25 of the cookie, more power to you 😉

6 yummychunklet March 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm

You were definitely not the only one! I barely got mine out at the 27 minute mark, and not a second too soon as the edges were already starting to go! I love your crimper pattern. Yummy looking cookie!

7 KY March 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Great use of your crimper! I enjoyed making this cookie, maybe because I didn’t associate it with making a pie crust! 😉

8 Tia March 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’m still playing catchup, so I made the bread this week 🙂 Yours look fantastic… so looking fwd to making this now.

9 Dessert By Candy March 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm

The crimper pattern looks so girly and pretty. I totally feel the same about making pie dough.

10 Lola March 18, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Your cookies look great!

11 Allison March 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I love that you own an antique crimper! And the design is divine!

12 Betsy March 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm

These reminded me of pie crust too while I mixed up the dough, but they tasted so much better! They look great!

13 tinytearoom March 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm

your cookie looks divine. I only just got this book in the mail. I can’t wait to get started on the recipes.

14 Tracey March 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I feel the same way about pies! Love the pattern on your cookie – really makes it look unique 🙂

15 Lana March 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Mine also took less time to get golden brown than recommended in the book. But, I know my oven is whimsical:)
Your crust looks perfect with that diagonal pattern. I have to come up with another way – the fork works, but it takes patience and more time.

16 Anne-Marie March 19, 2011 at 7:51 am

Jessica, your blog is so beautiful. And your cookie is lovely, especially with that crimper grid pattern! I agree this is like a pie crust but oh so much easier to work with. (I have a curse on me when it comes to pie crusts.)

17 Trevor Sis Boom March 19, 2011 at 10:04 am

I took mine out early too. I also took pains to ensure that it did not get much thinner at the edges as it was in the middle…uniform thickness helps on this one. I HATE rolling crusts too. Hate it. ugh.

18 Tricia S. March 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Brilliant idea on the crimper- and lovely to even have an antique one. Your photos looked amazing. I literally wanted to reach out and start nibbling those brown edges you managed to get 🙂 I am also a big crust (eating) fan. Almost embarrassing. Bought two ready made crusts in Vermont last week from the Mystic Pie company and may not even add ingredients. Or family…..would love to sprinkle sugar and cinnamon and eat them all. At about a million WW points !!

19 Eliana March 20, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I can’t believe I missed this recipe in the book. Looks amazing. Now if only ,ine could turn out as pretty as yours when I give it a try.

20 Monica (MsHobby) March 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I pulled mine out after about 15 min, but figured that was because I had them cut tiny.