French Fridays with Dorie – Beggar’s Linguine

by Jessica on March 11, 2011

Beggar's Linguine | http://mybakingheart.com

Extremely simple, yet so delicious. This is one of those recipes that will earn a coveted spot in your weeknight meal repertoire. It’s also fancy enough for those discerning dinner guests. But figs and raisins in pasta? I think (no, wait, I know) that C, my parents, or anyone else that I’d be inviting to my table wouldn’t have anything to do with that. And frankly, I wouldn’t either. So I omitted them both. And to me, it was perfect. Creamy, rich and a bit nutty. This was definitely another win for Ms. Dorie.

Beggar's Linguine | http://mybakingheart.com

If you haven’t already, make this gorgeous book a part of your collection and start cooking along with us! It’s still 40% off through Amazon, so get it now! 🙂 To see all the other linguine dishes hitting the web today, check out the ‘Leave-Your-Link’ post on the French Fridays with Dorie site. And since Ms. Dorie has the recipe listed on her site, you’re in luck… I’ve listed it below exactly as she intended. Bon Appétit, y’all!

~

#25 – Beggar’s Linguine (pgs. 370-371)

Makes 6 to 8 starter servings or 4 main-course servings

1 (14-16 oz) box linguine
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1/3 c shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
1/3 c almonds, coarsely chopped
8 plump dried mission figs or 3 dried kadota figs, finely diced
1/4 c plump, moist raisins (golden raisins are nice here)
1/2 c grated Parmesan (more or less to taste)
Grated zest of 1/2 orange (or more to taste)
Minced chives and/or parsley leaves, for serving (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cook the linguine according to the package directions. When the pasta is cooked, drain it well, but don’t rinse it. About 5 minutes before the pasta is ready, melt the butter over medium heat in a large high-sided skillet or casserole. (You’re going to add the pasta to this pan, so make sure it’s large enough.)

When the butter is melted, hot and golden, stir in the nuts, figs and raisins. Allow the butter to bubble and boil – you want it to cook to a lovely light brown, or to turn into pan beurre noisette, butter with the color and fragrance of hazelnuts – and when it’s reached just the color you want, add the pasta to the pan. Stir the pasta around in the butter to coat it evenly and to tangle it up with the bits of fruit and nuts.

Turn the pasta into a warm serving bowl, add the grated cheese and season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper. Toss and turn the pasta to incorporate the cheese, then dust the top of the mound with orange zest and chives and/or parsley, if you’re using them.

Serving:
Bring the pasta to the table and, just before you’re ready to dish out the first serving, give it one more toss to mix in the zest and herbs. The pasta is so good – and so surprising – that it should be served on its own as its own course, whether first, middle (as the Italians would have it) or main.

Storing:
This is not a dish that can be reheated and it’s not a pasta that can be served cold, so eat up!

Beggar's Linguine | http://mybakingheart.com

1 yummychunklet March 11, 2011 at 12:38 am

You make me laugh, Jessica! I left the raisins out as well, but I did enjoy the figs. Your dish looks tasty!

2 SoupAddict Karen March 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

I left out the raisins, too – ick! I almost didn’t make this dish because it just sounded too weird, but, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Of course, there are few things that loads of browned butter can’t fix. 🙂

3 Candy March 11, 2011 at 11:42 am

I left out the raisins and figs too. For years I would eat raisins by themself but picked them out of anything else from cookies to curries. I’m slowly starting to appreciate them as part of a larger dish, but wasn’t ready for them in pasta!

I agree this is a great dish for a weeeknight or to impress. Beautiful photos – as always!

4 Candy (dulce) March 11, 2011 at 11:54 am

Your nutty, yummy pasta looks and sounds great.

I did NOT leave out the figs and raisins… Not quite your level of success. Oh well!

5 Audrey March 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Well, I’ll admit this was a little unusual, but I liked the fruit in it. Yours looks delicious, though.

6 amanda @ fake ginger March 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

mmm, your pictures look delicious! So glad you enjoyed it -without the fruit! 😛

7 Monica (Ms. Hobby) March 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I agree – a weeknight rotation for sure, but no way on the figs/raisins. Yours turned out great!

8 Adriana March 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I enjoyed this dish a lot, but am curious now about all the different fruit-free or fruit light versions some of the Doristas came up with. I definitely need to add some ‘green stuff’ to mine next time. Happy Friday!

9 Patty March 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Your pasta came out great. I left out the raisins and substituted dried cranberries for color, thought they might be pretty with green pistachios, I also liked the dish. Nice to visit here, have a great weekend;-)

10 Liz March 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm

So pretty!!! And I think I’d enjoy an all nut version, too 🙂

11 Cher March 11, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I must admit – I am not a raisin lover, but the gold raisins worked pretty well in this one! Adding fruit to pasta was definetly a hurdle to get over…

12 lola March 11, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Call me crazy! I loved the raisins….and reheated it for lunch the next day. Like your picture.

13 Betsy March 11, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I originally said I wouldn’t make this again, but reading about your (and others) all-nut version, I’m reconsidering.

14 KY March 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Leaving out the figs and raisins? Why didn’t I think of that! Duh! I like how your pasta looks.

15 kitchenarian March 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I left the raisins out, but I did include the figs. I loved this recipe and loved seeing your version. Great post.

16 chefpandita March 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I like sweet with savory A LOT. Even though this recipe seemed a bit strange I used all the ingredients and ended up eating every bit of fruit and nut in my plate 🙂

17 farida March 12, 2011 at 8:43 am

love your recipe wanna try it, thanks

farida

18 Elaine March 12, 2011 at 9:37 am

I agree – this is one I am definitely adding to my repertoire. I love the green contrast of the snipped chives!

19 Vegan Thyme March 12, 2011 at 10:25 am

Lovely dish! The nuts and butter stuff totally made it work in my opinion!

20 Anne March 12, 2011 at 11:21 am

Jessica, you’ll have to try the full recipe sometime. It’s a treat, especially with white wine. Your photos are so beautifully lit.

21 sanya March 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I had the same thoughts about how it would be received by my family! (My husband said it tasted like muesli!)
Your versions sounds great tho!

22 KB from Prof Who Cooks March 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm

As always, the photos are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing how it is without the dried fruit. I was sorely tempted to leave it out, and will give it another go!

23 ryan March 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Great idea to just do an all nut version. I too really liked this dish and think its one I’m going to make over and over again! Go Dorie!

24 Trix March 14, 2011 at 8:39 am

Your photos look beautiful – and I’m with you, no thanks to the raisins!

25 Lana March 15, 2011 at 1:57 am

I did not make this dish because I would have had to omit not only fruit, but nuts from the dish, which would leave just buttered pasta:) My peeps are not picky eaters, but this dish combined everything they don’t like, so I would have been the only one enjoying it.
Love your photos, so light and bright.

26 Jessica March 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I’m really regretting skipping this one…especially after seeing your gorgeous pictures! The figs and raisins sounded a little iffy to me as well, so I might try this without. I love the sprinkling of chives – so fresh and spring-y!