French Fridays with Dorie – Chicken B’stilla

by Jessica on January 28, 2011

Chicken B'stilla | http://mybakingheart.com

B’stilla is an elaborate meat pie traditional of Morocco, consisting of layers of phyllo dough, savory shredded meat cooked in broth and spices, and a crunchy layer of toasted almonds, cinnamon, and sugar. But don’t let the photo fool you. The filling there in the middle… it’s really chicken. Honest. There was not a bit of beef anywhere near the stove while I was making this. However, it turned out looking like hamburger pie, don’t you think?

Just like this week’s TWD, the sweet and spicy smell coming from the kitchen was amazing. It floated through the entire house, even to my back bedroom. And when I took it out after the combined 40 minutes, it was beautiful. Definitely not what I was expecting once I took a bite (I was one of those who thought, “Oooh! Chicken Pot Pie!”). It did throw me out of my comfort zone, though… which is always a little scary, but fun at the same time. Probably not a dish that I’d make again for just myself, but I might try it when I have guests (and a bit more time!).

Chicken B'stilla | http://mybakingheart.com

Want to see the other b’stillas floating around the web today? Then browse the FFwD members by clicking over to the ‘Leave Your Link’ post! And enjoy the weekend! :)

#18 – Chicken B’stilla (pg. 222)

1 Elaine January 28, 2011 at 6:41 am

This was out of my comfort zone as well, but I am so glad that I made it. Yours turned out perfectly! Such a nice golden brown and it looks so flakey!

2 Audrey January 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

Beautiful pictures! I agree with you about how good it smelled, even when we were just cooking the chicken.

3 t.t. for spoonables January 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

My husband also thought it was a chicken pot pie–Moroccan style! A very elegant and exotic one, I would say. Gorgeous job!

4 beth@thescreenporch January 28, 2011 at 10:14 am

Jessica as usual I loved your post. Such a good do ahead for guests. B:)

5 Katiebe January 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

Gorgeous! I too was describing it to others (before I made it) as a Moroccan chicken pot pie. I agree that it would be great when having company over.

6 Cher January 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

I think the pot pie correlation held true for a lot of us. Beautiful pictures & write up – as always!

7 yummychunklet January 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm

How funny that you said that your photo looks like hamburger pie! I thought that when I saw it, and I immediately had a wave of terror wash over me as I wondered whether I had read yet another recipe incorrectly! Great post!

8 SoupAddict Karen January 28, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Love that first picture, with the frilly phyllo layers!

9 Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! January 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Yes, it’s hard to make the filling look gorgeous – we had to stuff a bit more in because it all kind of fell out when I went to plate it. However, your phyllo “ruffles” look stunning, crisp and golden, and your plate is very pretty.

10 ComeUndone January 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Hehe, I thought chicken pot pie too! Probably the easiest way to describe the dish to the uninitiated but I bet they’ll be surprised by the first bite too.

11 Cakelaw January 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Your pie turned out great! Glad you liked it, even if it was rather different to what you might normally make. I am not a huge pie maker, but I would normally make something like this without the pastry.

12 Krissy January 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Love your photo…that filo topping looks great. Yes, we all call it the chicken pie at our house…our men really loved this recipe.

13 Betsy January 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I’m with everyone that thinks this was an exotic chicken pot pie, though it smelled a lot better. I liked eating it, but the aroma was even better.

14 flourchild January 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I love your photos! This one didn’t set right with me, I won’t be making it again either!

15 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit January 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I love your flaky filo- it’s gorgeous! This really did make the house smell amazing. :)

16 KY January 28, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I like your pretty plate and matching linen! Your b’stilla looks great too. I shredded the chicken thighs by hand into long shreds, I think that helps it remain looking ‘chicken’. :)

17 Lynne January 29, 2011 at 5:48 am

Oh, what beautiful pastry you b’stilla has! Also, love the colors in your plate and tablecloth-it really shows off the b’stilla.

18 kitchenarian January 29, 2011 at 8:24 am

I was a bit out of my comfort zone as well, but I loved making this dish. Your phyllo dough looks buttery and crispy – oh so delicious. Great pictures!

19 Karen January 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Your b’stilla looks fantastic. It is good to get out of the comfort zone every once in awhile. :)

20 steph (whisk/spoon) January 30, 2011 at 8:26 am

this looks great! i really liked this recipe, but wound up not posting it because my pictures were absolutely awful. oh well.

21 Eliana January 30, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hmmm – it looks wonderful Jessica. Love all the different flavors in it and the wonderfully golden phyllo on top.

22 Sis. Boom. January 30, 2011 at 11:27 am

I was grumbling while making this at the complications and time but ate my words…and most of this pie by myself. So worth it. Beautiful photos!

23 Allison January 30, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Love your post! It does look like hamburger! Crazy! Your photos are beautiful!

24 Janie January 31, 2011 at 10:25 am

I made it…don’t have a picture of it..long story.

Due to circumstances (beyond our control) I had to make it in “stages”, and not the ones Dorie suggested! I burned the lovely chicken spiced lemony “broth” during one of the many interruptions, and had to make my own with what was left in the pan….I am sure the original was probably more flavorful……but we liked it..
Very different, but we all liked it. And I will probably do it again without the interruptions the next time..

25 Ann (napangel) January 31, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Jessica, your b’stilla looks delicious. And your photos, as always, are wonderful!

26 Teresa February 4, 2011 at 3:07 am

My partner thought of chicken pot pie, too, which he’s not fond of, so I was glad that he loved this. I think it would be an impressive dish at a dinner party.

27 luciacara March 6, 2011 at 6:51 am

Your B’stilla is beautiful! and so is your blog design! Funny about the hamburger comment…my own B’stilla looked like it had tuna inside :(. We still loved it, though!

28 alice October 20, 2011 at 9:12 pm

oh I was out of my comfort zone too and I really wanted to like this! … it was just so disappointing for me. I’m glad you liked it though! This would be a great dish to serve to company :)