French Fridays with Dorie – Paris Mushroom Soup

by Jessica on January 7, 2011

Paris Mushroom Soup | http://mybakingheart.com

I’m a huge fan of mushrooms. Always have been, always will be. Even with the resulting migraines that I suffer through after eating those delicious fungi. Case in point: I made this soup for Dad’s Wednesday night dinner since Momma G was out entertaining guests. I was craving some of this soup, knowing full well that if I ate any, I’d spend a painful night lulled to sleep by an Axert and two Aleve. It got to me, though. That darn intoxicating smell coming from my dutch oven all evening teased and tempted me, until I finally broke down and devoured two bowls (yes, two). Needless to say, the migraine hit me like a brick, so I swallowed three pills and found my way to bed.

I’m sad to say that I probably won’t make this again (for me, anyway). It’s super simple, quick to make and I just love Dorie’s story about the bowls she enjoys at Les Papilles in Paris. It reminds me of a family friend’s mushroom soup – one I enjoyed when I arrived at their Bed & Breakfast late one summer night. As for my photos? It was really hard to capture this soup’s beauty. What it lacks by way of color, it certainly makes up for in taste. So, if you’re not one to endure migraines, I say give it a shot! It really is a wonderful soup!

Paris Mushroom Soup | http://mybakingheart.com

Click over to French Fridays with Dorie for other takes on this yummy soup!

#15 – Paris Mushroom Soup

Paris Mushroom Soup | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Kathy January 7, 2011 at 7:08 am

Your soup looks lovely…too bad you couldn’t enjoy it with out the pain! I also thought it was delicious.

2 yummychunklet January 7, 2011 at 8:43 am

True, the color is lacking, but the taste is phenomenal! I’m sorry to hear about your reaction to yummy mushrooms. But, you’re a team player to “play through the pain!” Great post!

3 Barbara @ Vino Luci Style January 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’ve heard it’s a great color for wallpaint though! Sorry to hear of your reaction; luckily I love mushrooms and I did love this soup; even if adding a chunk of Parmesan rind made it a bit Italian! Was amazingly good for something so simple wasn’t it?

4 lifeisfull January 7, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Thanks for commenting on my post. I don’t blame you for skipping the salad, not when mushrooms give you such bad reaction, sorry to hear that! Glad you found the soup wonderful though.

5 ComeUndone January 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I agree that brown soup is hard to photograph! It’s just so…flat. Though I have to say, it really speaks volume on how tasty this soup is the way you ate two bowls knowing the consequences!

6 Denise January 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm

So sorry about your migraines! I’m new to FFWD and look forward to cooking with you this year!

7 beth @ thescreenporch January 7, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Jessica Happy new Year. I agree I absolutly hate to shoot brown. I always enjoy your posts and this is no exception. I wish you would have enjoyed it more just add more wine Ha Ha B:)

8 Spike January 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm

oh, so sad that mushrooms give you migraines! what a trooper to make and eat it anyways!

9 gaaarp January 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Nice job with the soup. Sorry to hear about your reaction to mushrooms.

10 Cher January 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Beautiful pictures. Sorry that this soup is not a friend to you – I live with the whole migraine thing, so I give you a lot of credit for having it knowing what it was going to do to you.

11 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit January 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Ouch! So sorry you have that kind of reaction- mushrooms are yummy! Glad you got to enjoy the soup, though. :)

12 Elaine January 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I think you did a wonderful job of capturing the essence of the soup, Jessica. I am so sorry that you get migraines from eating mushrooms! I love the color of your bowl.

13 Cakelaw January 7, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Agreed – it is a tasty soup, but not something I am likely to make again.

14 Sis Boom January 8, 2011 at 10:27 am

Wow. That is real suffering for your art. As a sufferer myself I can safely say I would never do that myself!

15 Teresa January 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Migraines are terrible; it’s sad that something you love triggers them.

I think you did a great job photographing the soup. It’s a challenge that I didn’t live up to this week. It was quite late when we ate and we were quite hungry, so there’s no artistry in my finished product shot.

16 StephIrey January 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Oh, too bad about the migraines! I’d be so unhappy if I couldn’t eat mushrooms. Your soup looks so yummy, I can see why you couldn’t resist it!

17 marcella January 8, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Sorry about the mushroom induced migraine ouch. No more mushroom recipes for you! Your soup looks delicious; I can see why you were so tempted.

18 Ann (napangel) January 8, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Your soup looks wonderful! And you found a way to make this soup photogenic! I struggled with that. I’m sorry about the migraine!

19 Tracey January 9, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Wow, this soup must have smelled pretty terrific if you ate it knowing you’d suffer a migraine! I think it would be a huge hit here, I love mushrooms.