French Fridays with Dorie – Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Nuts

by Jessica on December 3, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Nuts | http://mybakingheart.com

It’s not often that a gal gets an invite to the Man Cave. And so it is, that tonight I’m making the three-hour trip to visit C at his Okie residence… the residence that he shares with two other guys. This testosterone-filled, three-bedroom house is less than a block away from the bar and contains a hot tub & tractor-rim firepit. Anyone seeing frat party-like beerfests? Yeah, me too. So, in the hopes of receiving a second invitation, I’m taking this week’s FFwD as a little gift. Guys like nuts, right? Don’t answer that. Obviously, I mean with beer. 😉

These were incredibly simple to make but were weird-looking as they came out of the oven, ready to be broken apart. Was it just me or were they supposed to merge together to form a giant dark puddle? I’m thinking it was me. They were more sweet than spicy, so I’m definitely adding more spice the next time I make them. And there will be a next time – I’m planning these as Christmas gifts for the guys in the family. Or possibly a treat for the second time I visit the Man Cave. If I receive another invitation, that is.

Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Nuts | http://mybakingheart.com

#10 – Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Nuts (pg. 18)

1 yummychunklet December 3, 2010 at 12:41 am

I’m glad you mentioned “a giant dark puddle” because I would have thought I did something horribly wrong. (Had this been my first recipe!) I hope the nuts were a success and you receive a 2nd invitation to the Man Cave!

2 Ann (napangel) December 3, 2010 at 6:44 am

Mine were a bit of a puddle as well, but they were easy to break apart. I love how you shot these! Great colors.

3 Dinetonite December 3, 2010 at 6:51 am

Cocktail nuts are looking very tasty,

4 Elaine December 3, 2010 at 6:53 am

They look so good and crunchy. I bet they were perfect for your visit to the Man Cave and I agree that you will probably get another invitation soon with that recipe!

5 stephirey December 3, 2010 at 10:04 am

Mine weren’t in a puddle, but they were certainly clumped together. I just didn’t have the patience to take each nut out individually and shake off the excess egg white (with a double batch I would still be shaking off egg whites). I’m sure you were the hit of the Man Cave…did they even let you come home or did they chain you to the stove and demand that you make nuts for the rest of your life???

6 Becky December 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

I wish I had some of those nuts right now!!

7 Janie December 3, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Haha! Man Cave! I Love ANYTHING nuts…

Sweet, salty, spicy, plain.. all of the above…

Kidding aside…I do love anything nuts..and this is perfect for this time of the year..

8 Trevor Sis Boom December 3, 2010 at 12:45 pm

If you brought these I’m sure you will get that second invitation! I made these as well this week. I did the cardamom version and cut the sugar in half. Perfect!
Trevor Sis. Boom.

9 gaaarp December 3, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Your nuts look great (chuckle, chuckle)! I loved this recipe and can’t wait to try it again with different nuts and spices.

10 Krissy December 3, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Yes they do look weird, however, most seem to like them. Thanks for any tips…I will be making these soon.

11 Cakelaw December 4, 2010 at 1:24 am

LOL – I hope the residents of the Man Cave were duly appreciative. These nuts look fab – I am making them as gifts too.

12 Teresa December 4, 2010 at 3:43 am

I think shaking off the excess is a key step in this recipe, but it really takes a while!

13 Tracey December 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Just wait, it never ends. My husband has a man cave in the finished half of the basement in our house. It’s basically the only part of the house he gets freedom to decorate the way he wants and he spends LOTS of time down there!

14 KY December 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I agree with Teresa above. Also, I found baking on a non-stick tray that had been sprayed with PAM made the nuts darker than baking them on a aluminum tray lined with parchment paper.

15 Lana December 5, 2010 at 3:02 am

We are a female household, with my husband being the token drone (hee, hee – we love him dearly, but commandeer the bathrooms at our leisure). But my father has joined for a visit, and all of a sudden there is a Man Cave slowly forming! Not happy!
It is not hard to bring the joy to the testosteron-ridden crowds, and I will second your efforts. In a day or two, my men will feast on these nuts:)
I love the photo of the few sparkling nuts on the green background – who cares how they looked in the pan:)