Tuesdays With Dorie ‘Rewind’ – Cocoa Pound Cake

by Jessica on November 23, 2010

Cocoa Pound Cake

Ever had content or photos stolen from your blog… only to be published on another that does not cite you, nor link back to you? It happened to me yesterday (and sadly, not for the first time either). I took immediate action, though, and emailed the ‘contact’ that was listed on the page. I also left a message on their facebook wall underneath the advertisement of the post. Incredibly, said site continues to gain followers on an hourly basis at an outrageous rate, as well. How do I know this? I’m stalking their facebook wall to see if I ever get a response… sad (and maybe a little obsessive), but true. The silver lining in this cloud? My sweet (uber-smart, computer geeky) boyfriend, C, who called to give me a pep-talk on copyright infringement. I just love this boy. :)

Cocoa Pound Cake 2

But even though I was consoled by his uplifting (stand up and fight!) words, I needed another pick-me-up. And then I heard it… chocolate was calling my name. I knew that I’d be making Dorie’s Perfection Pound Cake for this week’s TWD rewind. So, lucky for me I noticed a cocoa variation in the ‘Playing Around’ section. And yes, it was perfection. Chocolate perfection. A light, tender crumb with that smooth chocolatey goodness. It was so yummy, I almost forgot about the offenders and their blatant stealing… almost.

Cocoa Pound Cake 3

Cocoa Pound Cake (pgs. 222-223)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1-2/3 c all-purpose flour (or 1-3/4 c cake flour)
1/2 c dark cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
4 lg. eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan or an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan. Put the pan on an insulated baking sheet or on two regular baking sheets stacked one on top of the other. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy, a full 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and beater and reduce the mixer speed to medium. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 to 2 minutes after each egg goes in. As you’re working, scrape down the bowl and beater often. Mix in the vanilla extract. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour, mixing only until it is incorporated – don’t overmix. In fact, you might want to fold in the last of the flour, or even all of it, by hand with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into the buttered pan and smooth the top.

Put the cake into the oven to bake, and check on it after about 45 minutes. If it’s browning too quickly, cover it loosely with a foil tent. If you’re using a 9×5 pan, you’ll need to bake the cake for 70 to 75 minutes; the smaller pan needs about 90 minutes. The cake is properly baked when a thin knife inserted deep into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven, transfer the pan to a rack and let rest for 30 minutes. Run a blunt knife between the cake and the sides of the pan and turn the cake out, then turn it right side up on the rack and cool to room temperature.

Wrapped well, the cake will keep for 5 to 7 days at room temperature (stale cake is great toasted) or up to 2 months in the freezer.

~~~

p.s. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway, if you haven’t already! You’ve got up to 5 chances to win a $55 gift certificate from CSN stores… perfect for Christmas shopping! :)

1 Chaya November 23, 2010 at 4:45 am

I have fond memories of this pound cake. Yours looks like comfort food. I could go for a piece with some coffee, right now.

2 Cakelaw November 23, 2010 at 5:43 am

This cake looks so devine and chocolatey – I jut wanna sink my teeth into it. Bummer about the photo stealers – do they think that you just won’t notice or something?

3 Anne Marie November 23, 2010 at 7:42 am

This looks so rich and delicious. My sister-in-law would go nuts for it–you just gave me the perfect holiday dish to share at her place :)

4 Lauryn November 23, 2010 at 7:49 am

Holy! That is terrible! That has never happened to me, at least not that I know of! But the cake looks delish and hope it cheered you up!!!

5 flourchild November 23, 2010 at 8:44 am

I remember making this one! It’s very yummy.
Yours looks perfect!

6 Mary November 23, 2010 at 9:04 am

Your cake looks gorgeous! I hope it was a comfort after getting some of your content stolen. I’d be stalking the thief too–I’d be happy to add a protest comment to the site if you let us know which it is…

7 Valerie November 23, 2010 at 11:14 am

I’m so sorry about your ordeal (I would totally be stalking their FB page too.) On the bright side, your photos are so good that they’re worth snatching despite the fact that it won’t go unnoticed.

This pound cakes is so dark, I love it! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

8 Clivia November 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Sorry to hear about the theft. That’s awful. I hope the cake brought you some soothing moments. It’s lovely!

9 Karen November 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm

That is terrible about the photos and content! I do worry about that as well. :( You poundcake looks fantastic though!

10 Kayte November 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I figured there would be chocolate over here this week, yes, I did call that one! This looks pretty fancy with that little cap of whipped cream! Happy Thanksgiving!

11 Margaret November 23, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Chocolate Pound Cake!! OH MY!!!! Sounds perfect to me. With ice cream. And caramel sauce. Oh, I may have to make this for TG!!!

12 Jennifer November 23, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I grew up having pound cake a LOT in the south, and chocolate was always my favorite. I just love how it looks on your Jadeite! SO beautiful.

13 Judy November 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I’m sure I made this, but I don’t remember when. Looks delicious! Best of luck with your copyright fight.

14 yummychunklet November 24, 2010 at 12:28 am

This looks so tasty! Cocoa pound cake…yum!

15 Eliana November 24, 2010 at 10:44 am

This cake would take me out of any kind of funk. It looks great. And I’m with Mary. Let us know what the site is and I’ll stalk them too.

16 Jill November 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm

That looks perfect for a chocolate fix! Good luck with your copyright fight – what a terrible thing for someone to do!

17 Paula (Salad in a Jar) November 24, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I have never tried this cake but you make it sound very tempting. So sorry somebody is stealing your stuff. Sickening. Have a good Thanksgiving!

18 steph (whisk.spoon) November 25, 2010 at 10:04 am

i had this happen to me once…i found like ten of my posts with pics on a weird site. i totally missed this cocoa version of the pound cake. sounds great, and i’ll have to remember to try it. happy thanksgiving!

19 Katrina November 26, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I haven’t, to my knowledge, ever had anything stolen from my blog. How do you find out that has happened? Glad it’s all taken care of.
The chocolate (yes!) pound cake looks great!