French Fridays with Dorie – Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux

by Jessica on November 12, 2010

Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux | http://mybakingheart.com

The name above most definitely suits this recipe. In case you’re not hip to the French language, ‘les paresseux’ ultimately means ‘the lazy’. And this dish is nothing, if not fit for the lazy… especially for this gal. I arrived home from work at 5:30p to have roast chicken and vegetables on the table two hours later. I oiled up the Le Creuset, placed the slices of bread on the bottom (my yummy garlic-infused Italian bread from yesterday!), seasoned the chicken and chopped the veggies – only 20 to 30 minutes of prep and into the oven it went. An hour and a half later, it was ready. Easy, right?

Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux | http://mybakingheart.com

Easy and good… if you can get past the liver and insides. Dorie mentions that if your chicken comes with a liver, to leave it inside while cooking. And for some strange reason, I felt the need to reach into the cavity and find out if it was there… and I almost gagged. Yes, touching things like this grosses me out. This is why I’m a baker. Flour is never slimy. Don’t judge me. 🙂

Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux | http://mybakingheart.com

That bread, though? It’s what grease-soaked love tastes like. The fat from the chicken soaks into the bread while it cooks and the result? Crispy, crunchy ecstacy. Seriously, the bread might just be the best part.

If you haven’t joined us yet, what are you waiting for? All of us in French Fridays with Dorie would love to have you! We cook from Dorie’s newest book, Around My French Table, and it’s still on sale! You need this cookbook in your library… trust me!

#7 – Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux (pgs. 200-201)

Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Yummychunklet November 12, 2010 at 12:41 am

Your chicken looks so juicy, especially in the second photo!

2 Elaine November 12, 2010 at 6:43 am

Your pictures show just how juicy the chicken is! I can’t wait to make this this weekend.

3 Flourchild November 12, 2010 at 9:48 am

Thanks for the comment! Sorry the Broncos had to whoop up on your team..lol..I know what it’s like to love a football team! I guess Im a die hard Boise State Fan!
Your chicken looks soooo good! I loved this recipe too!

4 Mary November 12, 2010 at 10:57 am

you are absolutely right–there’s nothing to get squeamish about when baking. Well, maybe steamed suet pudding, but I’m trying to forget about that!
Glad you liked this. Did you happen to spread the liver on the bread?
🙂

5 Jenn November 12, 2010 at 11:16 am

Looks super yummy! I love your website design – it’s gorgeous!

6 Jessica November 12, 2010 at 12:26 pm

That’s a fantastic-looking chicken…and yes, the bread is the best part!

7 Phyl November 12, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Looks great! I loved the fat-soaked bread, and, yes, I spread mine with the liver.

8 Summer November 12, 2010 at 1:46 pm

hA HA, i thought i was alone , i use those disposable gloves to clean chicken and fish + its non slipy and its the very fresh chicken ,jus warm , i need double pair of gloves!!
Bdw, the liver tasted fantastic and we dont cook liver at home, v v rarely!!
Ur chicken looks mosit and delicious!

9 beth@thescreenporch November 12, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Jessica your post is too funny.. Wasn’t the bread to die for?! As usual I loved the post. Your chicken looks great. Prettty good for a squeamish baker Ha Ha …B

10 dorie November 12, 2010 at 6:37 pm

“Flour is never slimy” — too funny. I’m glad that reaching into the chicken did get in the way of your enjoying the finished dish. It looks great!

11 Kayte November 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

LOL on the liver…that went exactly where it should have gone, to the dogs…and I almost gagged at the grease-soaked bread, not for me, definitely not for me. But everyone else seems to have absolutely loved it!! This chicken was great, very moist and lovely. Definitely a repeat. Yours all looks wonderful.

12 Chef Bee November 12, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I have seen this dish several times today. Maybe it’s a hint that I should make it. Your chicken looks lovely.

Plan B

13 Kelly November 12, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Your chicken looks moist and delicious. My bread was too juicy so I put it back in the oven on a sheet pan. I took two bites then I had to walk away because it was so rich. My boyfriend ate the rest, quite happily!

@Kayte: I would have happily taken your liver. My chicken had two gizzards and no liver. Sadness… I was distraught.

14 StephIrey November 13, 2010 at 9:10 am

Your chicken looks yummy and your bread looks amazing!

15 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit November 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Gorgeous birdie! Your bread is so pretty and golden brown. Mine was almost burnt and I didn’t care for it. (And I think raw chicken is nasty to touch as well.)

16 Di November 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm

“Flour is never slimy” is definitely the best line in the whole post. =P I’m still having trouble blogging some of these savory dishes–I find baked goods much, much easier to photograph well. =) But this was definitely worth making.

17 Tracey November 13, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Haha, you crack me up. I have a friend who refuses to touch raw chicken – she just thinks it’s the grossest thing ever.

Roast chicken really is the best, I can’t wait to try Dorie’s recipe. That bread sounds like a wonderful treat to go with the chicken.

I’ve been meaning to ask you, what do you use to light the photos you’re taking at night? (I’m assuming these were taken at night since you said you didn’t start cooking until 5:30 pm) Do you have the Lowel Ego lights?

18 Pamela November 15, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Yeah…not a fan of the liver myself! Just loaded the pics of this one tonight. Now, I just have to write the blog post. 🙂