Tuesdays With Dorie – ‘Not-Just-for-Thanksgiving’ Cranberry Shortbread Cake

by Jessica on November 9, 2010

Cranberry Shortbread Cake

Even though we’ve barely made it past Halloween and Thanksgiving is on the horizon, Dorie’s Cranberry Shortbread Cake has me all giddy with the Christmas spirit. For some reason, eating a slice of this puts my teenage-self back at Mango’s table, eating a Christmas Eve dinner surrounded by parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and family friends. The scratch cranberry jam is sweet and just tart enough. It’s like eating a big ol’ sugar cookie sandwich with cranberry preserves slathered in the middle!

Cranberry Shortbread Cake

Warm it up for 15-20 seconds in the microwave and top it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream – whoa boy! It was so good, that I’m pretty sure that it will be making another appearance next month! By the way, it’s always fun when you and the TWD host share such a fabulous name! 🙂

Cranberry Shortbread Cake

Many thanks to Jessica of Singleton in the Kitchen for such a fun pick (I love this gal!)! The recipe is listed on her blog and the other TWD Cranberry Shortbread Cakes can be found by clicking here!

‘Not-Just-for-Thanksgiving’ Cranberry Shortbread Cake (pgs. 208-209)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Cranberry Shortbread Cake

1 nickki November 9, 2010 at 7:44 am

Your cake looks lovely! Such a great recipe. Baking this also put me in a festive mood 🙂

2 Tracey November 9, 2010 at 8:44 am

Your cake looks so good! I’m with you on the big scoop of ice cream on top – delicious!! Definitely a new Dorie favorite here, I can’t wait to try the other variations.

3 Eliana November 9, 2010 at 9:42 am

Hmmm – vanilla ice cream seems like the only thing that would make this taste better. It looks amazing Jessica.

4 chocolatechic November 9, 2010 at 10:18 am

Oh…your cake looks perfect.

5 Mary November 9, 2010 at 10:46 am

It looks great! Wish I had saved some to try that. I made minis and ate them all up!

6 Kayte November 9, 2010 at 11:37 am

Can’t be making this too often, now can we??? So good! Yours looks perfect and I love that pink wavy plate!

7 tia November 9, 2010 at 11:46 am

your cake looks truly perfect. Great color and texture. This was a huge hit with us – I crumbled the top layer over the filling instead of rolling it. LOVED THIS! Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

8 dorie November 9, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Lovely, lovely. I’m so glad you’ll be making it again. Remember to stock up on cranberries, so you can make this after the big hols. It’s what I do.

9 steph (whisk/spoon) November 9, 2010 at 1:56 pm

yes, this reminds me of christmas, too. so pretty!

10 Jessica November 9, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Hey cutie. Thanks so much for your sweet words, and thanks a million times for baking along with me this week! I’m glad you enjoyed this recipe! Your cake looks just lovely with that bright red filling in the middle.

11 Jeannette November 9, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I’m absolutely enamored with the idea of this. I’m sad that I haven’t gotten to make it yet. I might head home and make it now!! 🙂 Yours looks SO lovely!!

And HOW COOL is it that Dorie commented on your blog? Way jealous 😉

12 Dana November 9, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Absolutely Yummy Jessica!

13 Jaime November 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm

beautiful pics, as always! i really enjoyed this one too. we definitely need to plan another get together – with a 1st birthday party and the holidays coming up things are going to be pretty busy for me. we can try to do something before the year is up but it may be easier to wait until the new year….

14 Pamela November 15, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Whoa…what stunning pictures you got! I made bars out of this one, since they were easier to share. Definitely making this one again. SO GOOD!

15 Jess November 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Sugar cookie sandwich – exactly! Your cake/sandwich looks amazing.