French Fridays with Dorie – Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake

by Jessica on November 5, 2010

Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake | http://mybakingheart.com

I’ve always been a fan of Cream of Wheat. I can remember waking up for school and Momma G would have it ready and waiting with a side of hot, buttered toast. I loved mornings like those! So when I saw that this cake included Cream of Wheat, I got excited.

Everything came together perfectly, too. The caramel turned that beautiful shade of dark amber and the Cream of Wheat thickened up nicely. However, once I took it out of the oven, all bets were off. It was all bumpy and the caramel definitely didn’t run down the sides like it should have. It was a struggle to even get it out of the pan! Now it could’ve been because I didn’t use the 8″ pan that Dorie suggests, but a 9″ that I already had in my arsenal. Not sure I would make this one again, though. It was too sweet for me and just… different. I think I’ll stick to those bowls at breakfast – with a little toast on the side, of course. 🙂

Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake | http://mybakingheart.com

In case you’re wondering why you’re seeing different dishes around the web, it’s because we’re mixing it up a little at FFwD for the month of November. Our recipes are posted, but we can make them in any order we see fit. The list is a good one and I can’t wait to get to the rest! Hope you’ll come back to see them!

#6 – Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake (pgs. 438-439)

Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake | http://mybakingheart.com

1 StephIrey November 5, 2010 at 10:42 am

I used a 9″ pan also…maybe that’s why we didn’t have any caramel down the sides? One of these days I’m actually going to use the right sized pan and see what happens. Your cake does look lovely!

2 Kelly November 5, 2010 at 11:02 am

I am also a cream of wheat fan, so I am intrigued by this cake, (though a bit wary after seeing some of the reviews).

Your pictures are gorgeous, so it still looks good. I love your plate!

3 Sarah November 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Your pictures are beautiful. I used an 8″ tin, and my caramel wasn’t running down the sides. I think maybe the recipe might need more caramel to get that effect. In all the posts I’ve looked at, I haven’t really seen any with a lot of caramel.

4 Ann (napangel) November 5, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Cream of Wheat is my favorite childhood cereal. That and CoCo Wheats. (Someone should develop a dessert with that!) I can’t wait to try this one, although I’m a little bit hesitant after reading that you thought it was too sweet for you.

5 Eliana November 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm

This looks absolutely glorious Jessica. Wish I was enjoying a slice right this second.

6 Katrina November 5, 2010 at 2:05 pm

That’s a really interesting cake. I heard it was more flan-like than cake-like. I’m a little torn about making it now. I’ve decided to just post FFWD once a month.

7 Kayte November 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm

But it looks so pretty…really really pretty. And that plate makes it look so elegant. Curious about this one now, guess I will find out when I make it. Hope mine looks as pretty as yours does.

8 Nic November 5, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Your photos are gorgeous but the texture looks like a flan/bread pudding hybrid… interesting. I might have to make 1/2 of the recipe just to give it a whirl.

9 Renee (Kudos Kitchen) November 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Your cake looks like it turned out really well. I wasn’t too thrilled with how mine turned out. Certainly wasn’t one of my best efforts but it was interesting.

10 yummychunklet November 5, 2010 at 5:25 pm

It still looks like your cake turned out great! I’m excited to try this. (I started with the pumpkin-Gorgonzola flans).

11 beth@thescreenporch November 5, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Jessica I wish you would have liked this more. It makes me worry if I want to do it or not. Wanderlust had a great idea for adding rum or bourbon to the sauce which might cut the sweetness and doesn’t like a lil rum? Great post…B

12 vincent November 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

13 Elaine November 5, 2010 at 7:12 pm

This is the first caramel-topped semolina cake I have seen today and you are making me believe that I will love cream of wheat! It is just beautiful! And you plate is gorgeous!

14 Jacque November 5, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I’ve always been more of a Malt-o-meal girl myself 🙂

Yours certianly looks fantastic, I wouldn’t know you had problems getting it out of the pan. Sorry you didn’t love it.

15 Kathy November 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I think your cake looks lovely and am actually looking forward to baking this. I am Lebanese heritage and semolina (cream of wheat) is used often in baked goods.

16 Cakelaw November 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Your cake turned out wonderfully! Sorry it wasn’t your thing, but it’s nice to try these things.

17 Jaime November 6, 2010 at 10:37 pm

beautiful!

18 Flourchild November 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Wow your cake looks so good! I am really looking fwd to seeing if I like or dislike this one. I love any type of hot cereal so Im thinking I may like it!

19 Serene November 7, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Oh, yes, the size of the pan makes a big difference. Still, that looks like something I’d dig into, for sure. 🙂

20 Tracey November 8, 2010 at 7:20 pm

What an interesting recipe! I’ve never had Cream of Wheat but I think it’s sort of like oatmeal? I really need to break into my copy of Dorie’s new book and get going on some of the recipes.

21 maryeats November 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm

lovely!

22 steph (whisk/spoon) November 9, 2010 at 3:46 pm

i love cream of wheat, too (but have never had it with toast!). i’m very interested in seeing what this recipe’s like.