A visit from Dorie… and a little FFwD Apple Cake, too!!

by Jessica on October 29, 2010

Dorie Greenspan

Have you ever had a perfect day? One that could last forever because you’re so incredibly ecstatic? I just had one of those days. Last Sunday, to be specific. My kitchen heroine, Ms. Dorie Greenspan herself, presented a demo class at Central Market on her recent book, Around My French Table. And to see Dorie happy, smiling and doing what she loves… it was an absolute honor to witness and I’ll never forget it.

Amy, Jess & Jaime

Barring the annoying talking that went on right behind us (while Dorie was trying to describe things), we had a lovely time. Amy and I even ran into some fellow DFW foodies – Jaime of Good Eats & Sweet Treats, Paula of Salad in a Jar and Kelly of The Meaning of Pie (that’s Amy and me above with Jaime).

AMFT Dishes

Our menu consisted of (above, clockwise from top left): Salmon Rillettes; Lamb & Dried Apricot Tagine; Cauliflower-Bacon Gratin; Fresh Tuna, Mozzarella & Basil Pizza and below, my most favorite, Sable Breton Galette with Berries…

Sable Breton Galette

Dorie Greenspan

I’m still in disbelief that I actually met her. I’ve had a lot of once-in-a-lifetime opportunities (for which I’m truly thankful), but come on, this is DORIE GREENSPAN!! It ranks right up there with meeting Nolan Ryan… she’s that cool.

Dorie Greenspan

You see that look?? It’s what you’d call pure adoration.

And in keeping with the theme of the post, it’s time for this week’s French Fridays with Dorie. Ahhh, baking… now this is more like it. I missed my comfort zone! It was a scary couple of weeks back there… what with soups and Shepherd’s Pies and all. 😉

Marie-Hélène’s Apple Cake | http://mybakingheart.com

What a way to end our first month of picks, chosen by Dorie herself! This lovely little cake is so easy to put together… leaving the oven packing a flavorful punch. I omitted the rum, but added a teaspoon of cinnamon and half a teaspoon of nutmeg instead. It’s a perfect dessert for afternoon tea or even Thanksgiving dinner, evoking Autumn with every bite.

#5 – Marie-Hélène’s Apple Cake (pg. 431-433)

Marie-Hélène’s Apple Cake | http://mybakingheart.com

Thank you, Dorie, for choosing FFwD’s October recipes AND for your visit to Dallas. It was such a pleasure meeting you – you couldn’t have been any more generous or sweeter. Good luck with the next book! I can’t wait to add it to my library! 🙂

Jess & Dorie

Such joy!!

1 Amy (Sing For Your Supper) October 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I had SO much fun with you!!! 🙂

2 K October 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Aw Dorie hug! 🙂 Looks like you all had a great time!

– K@saffronandhoney

3 Tia October 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Wow – that’s absolutely awesome! I’m in envy. She lools like a really down to earth person too – a dorie hug – awww…
mmm those chunks of apple look divine! Buttercreambarbie

4 wanderlustforfood October 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I’m so jealous that you got to meet Dorie!! And your cake turned out beautifully!

5 Momma G October 29, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I am soooo happy for you! You’ve gotten to meet so many wonderful people, and you have done so many awesome things! Your pix are just beautiful, too!! Keep the oven hot!!!

6 Margaret October 29, 2010 at 2:38 pm

What excitement to meet Dorie. She has such a huge following and is so down to earth.

Cake looks perfect. Funny how no two came out exactly the same.

7 michelle aetonu October 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm

i can’t believe you go to meet her! so jealous. your cake looks great!

8 steph (whisk/spoon) October 29, 2010 at 3:54 pm

that’s so fun– i’ve met her in nyc, and she’s sooo nice! and great that you got to hang oout with other blogging gals, too! cake looks terrific–which i had another slice!

9 Ann (napangel) October 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Oh! What a memorable experience. The photos of you with Dorie are wonderful! (How was that salmon rillette? I am so intrigued by that recipe! And the tuna rillette too!

And your cake is gorgeous!

10 Phyl (gaaarp) October 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Wow, your cake looks perfect! I’m sure you were inspired by your visit with Dorie when you baked it. Nice post.

11 Becky October 29, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your Dorie photos!! So fun! You cake looks more pink than mine … very pretty!

12 Katrina October 29, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Okay, seriously best pictures I’ve seen of her tour. So fun that you got to meet her. Love this post! I’d rather meet many famous chefs/cookbook authors and the like than big celebrities. They are MY celebrities. So awesome, Jessica.

13 Di October 29, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Great post, Jessica! I’m hoping to finally get mine done this weekend. (I’ve been sick this week.) I love seeing your pictures–I had the same dishes here, but they were served a little differently. Definitely an awesome experience to actually meet Dorie.

14 snooky doodle October 30, 2010 at 9:02 am

wow how lucky . that s really nice.

15 Stephanie October 30, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day. Would love some of the cakes sent my way!!

16 Paula October 31, 2010 at 7:31 am

Wow Jessica, beautiful pictures. Very nice post of the whole experience.

17 Jessica October 31, 2010 at 5:24 pm

What a lucky girl! You look like you had a great time with Dorie. I’m so shy I’d probably hide in the back row.

18 Serene October 31, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Isn’t she just the greatest, most gracious thing? Meeting her recently was a real high point for me.

19 Eliana October 31, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Dorie is the absolute best! so great that you got to meet her.

20 Jaime November 1, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I had so much fun with you! thank you again for saving me a seat up front 🙂 It was amazing to meet Dorie and see her teach that class!

Your apple cake looks delicious

21 Tracey November 2, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I loved this post!! Your class with Dorie looks like it was such a blast. I’m going to a signing next week and I simply cannot wait to meet her 🙂

22 Kayte November 3, 2010 at 9:51 am

Your cake looks perfect, I made it twice getting it to look like your batter and it never did…it was good, I just wanted it to look more like yours. Very fun to see the photos of you all with Dorie…great shots of all that and the food. You look so pretty and happy…very nice to get to see all that!