French Fridays with Dorie – Hachis Parmentier

by Jessica on October 22, 2010

Hachis Parmentier | http://mybakingheart.com

Shepherd’s Pie. A dish that was served fairly often during my childhood… but definitely not one that I was fond of. At all. So when I saw that this was our recipe for Week 4 of French Fridays with Dorie, I was a bit disappointed.

Seeing as how I’m completely committed to this new group, though, I decided to press on. I left out the bay leaf and added in fresh basil and a handful of peas to complement the carrots. All in all, it left the oven looking very pretty. However, it didn’t win me over… I’m just lucky that I have some Shepherd’s Pie-lovin’ neighbors next door to take it off my hands. ­čÖé

Hachis Parmentier | http://mybakingheart.com

#4 – Hachis Parmentier (pgs. 258-259)

Hachis Parmentier | http://mybakingheart.com

1 Pamela October 22, 2010 at 5:15 am

Looks pretty on the plate. I admire your dedication, that’s for sure. This sort of dish doesn’t usually appeal to me, but my husband loves this sorta thing. I liked it fine, but it won’t be going into the regular rotation anytime soon.

2 gulab.blog@gmail.com October 22, 2010 at 9:12 am

We have something similar in Brazil! But I am curiose to try yours!

3 Eliana October 22, 2010 at 10:24 am

So great of you to press on and make this dish. Now you have me wishing I was your neighbor because this looks delicious.

4 Katrina October 22, 2010 at 10:56 am

I don’t care for shepherd’s pie either. I made it same as you–to stick with the group and I knew my husband would like it.
But at least you got a nice picture of a serving. I think the stuff just isn’t very photogenic. ­čśë

5 Nic October 22, 2010 at 11:12 am

I really really wish I was your neighbor!

6 SoupAddict Karen October 22, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I’m with you. It’s just not my thing. It looks delicious, but in the end, it’s still a meat pie. Looking forward to doing the apple cake, though!

7 beth October 22, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Hard to believe looking at those pictures that you didn’t eat the whole thing. I know I would have. I guess I’m just a carnavore at heart ..B

8 Clivia October 22, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Yours looks delicious! I’d never cooked with sausage meat, so this was a new taste treat for us.

9 PattiCake October 22, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Really nice pictures! And I like your blog too. This isn’t really my favourite either, but the potatoes were really good.

10 Margaret October 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Despite your ‘dislike’ for shepherd’s pie it looks amazingly delicious. Hope your neighbors appreciated all your hard work.

Stops for stopping by for a visit.