Tuesdays With Dorie – Gingered Carrot Cookies

by Jessica on August 3, 2010

Gingered Carrot Cookies

You know the feeling. The one you get when you’re first trying something, taking that one and only first-impression bite. You dig in, waiting for something fantastic… and you get… something totally unexpected.

This was me on Sunday afternoon. For some reason, I was wanting those warm, rich, spicy notes of a carrot cake. But after I took a bite of these cookies, I didn’t get that. The taste wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t amazing, either. I omitted the coconut, but filled them with double the raisins and walnuts (I’m out of pecans at the moment!) that Dorie called for… hoping that Momma G would take care of the whole plate for me! She wasn’t in love with the raisins, so I don’t think she’ll be taking these home. Maybe I can pawn them off to the order department at work instead. ­čÖé

Gingered Carrot Cookies 2

Many thanks to Natalia of gatti fili e farina – find the recipe on her blog and check out the other TWD’ers here!

Gingered Carrot Cookies (pg. 162)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Gingered Carrot Cookies 3

1 Eliana August 3, 2010 at 9:02 am

They may not have been amazing but they certainly do look good.

2 Sara August 3, 2010 at 9:47 am

They weren’t that great? Really? They look and sound tasty! I love carrot cake.

3 Katrina August 3, 2010 at 10:34 am

Your blog is back!
These were not my favorite cookies either, but I made the best of them with cream cheese frosting (they are much better with.)

4 Jill August 3, 2010 at 10:42 am

Not much of a raisin fan myself so I left them out and thought they were fantastic. Sorry they didn’t speak to you!!

5 Flourchild August 3, 2010 at 11:26 am

Bummer you didn’t like them. I have not met a cookie I don’t like! They look good.

6 Cristine August 3, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Sorry they weren’t your favorite. They look great,though!

7 tia August 3, 2010 at 2:01 pm

if looks count for anything, these are a winner!

8 Kayte August 3, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I think it was the lack of cinnamon and dark dark brown sugar…but we still liked them anyway, despite the fact that they didn’t taste like carrot cake. Yours look pretty, and I am sure you will save some grateful takers on these.

9 Peggy August 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm

That is too bad you didn’t love them. We did. But I like coconut and raisens and nuts in almost anything. I think they could have used a bit more spice though! Anyway, your cookies look amazing.

10 natalia August 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Ciao Jessica ! Thank you for joining me this week !I’m sorry they did not turn out as you expected !! Lovely pictures though !

11 teaandscones August 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I wanted them more like carrot cake but they weren’t. But they were better frosted.

If/when I make again, maybe more cinnamon. They look delicious, tho.

12 pzrhodes August 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm

You could pawn these off on me but I do need the coconut. I think that’s what I liked best about them. Sorry they weren’t your favorite.

13 Nicole August 3, 2010 at 11:52 pm

I thought these should have been classified as scones, but they were good none the less!

14 Becky O. August 4, 2010 at 11:16 am

i was totally surprised by these cookies. i wasn’t sure what to expect. but i did like them. sorry they weren’t a winner for you.

15 vincent August 4, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

16 nickki August 6, 2010 at 3:57 am

I had no idea what to expect from the cookies but I ended up loving them! Sorry you didn’t like them so much, they do look lovely though!