Tuesdays With Dorie – Key Lime & Coconut Tea Cake

by Jessica on April 6, 2010

Key-Lime Coconut Tea Cake

When I first pulled this out of the oven, I wasn’t that impressed. The taste was great, but it was way too dry for me. This was also after I had added key lime zest and juice, extra coconut rum AND coconut flavoring. However… I toasted the leftover pieces and whoa. I LOVED it this way. What’s bad is that there are so many pieces left and I do not need to eat them by myself! Fortunately for me, I have lots of hungry co-workers who will gladly take them off my hands!

Key-Lim-Coconut Tea Cake 2

Thanks to Carmen of Carmen Cooks for this choice! This is the recipe selected for last week, but we were able to switch them up for Easter. See her blog for the details and check out the other TWD’ers here!

Key Lime & Coconut Tea Cake (pg. 194-195)
Adapted from: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Key-Lime Coconut Tea Cake 3

p.s. Like my pics? I just bought a Nikon D5000 and I’m in totally love with her. :) But now I need a name for this gorgeous gal. Any suggestions??

1 Margaret April 6, 2010 at 8:36 am

Fantastic with the strawberries and cream.

Sorry yours came out dry. Mine was quite moist and very dense, but I think it was the pan I used rather than my cooking skills. Made mine last week.

2 Becky O. April 6, 2010 at 10:17 am

ahh how fun to get a new camera. i love your pix. the topping looks delicious!

i made mine for Easter too. I added grapefruit juice and zest and loved it!

COOL PAN!

3 tia @ buttercreambarbie April 6, 2010 at 11:18 am

simply beautiful. I love your pan too.

4 megan April 6, 2010 at 11:19 am

I love all the flavors you have going on in that cake and I LOVE your cake pan! Maybe a glaze would help it from being so dry? Maybe?

5 pamela April 6, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Love your pictures! They are stunning! And the cake with the strawberries?? Yes, please!

6 Lauryn April 6, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Yes, I do love your pics! gorgeous! And that heart shaped bundt – amazing!! I bet it was great with the key lime flavor!

7 Janell April 6, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I love your bundt pan! What a beautiful cake. The strawberries and cream on top look like a delicious addition!

8 Spike April 6, 2010 at 1:01 pm

a fun pan and a new camera! I’m a little jealous. I think you should name the camera after a baking great (like Julia)

9 Marthe April 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I love your heart-shaped pan!! Too cute!

10 Linda April 6, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Congrats on your new camera — you’re an old pro with the new equipment, as your photos look beautiful.

Sorry to hear that this cake turned out dry…i think your presentation with the fruit is gorgeous.

11 Jeannette April 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm

1. Your cake looks fab
2. I’m stealing your cake pan. Don’t argue, just hand it over ;)
3. Pomegranate. Just name it that. How many cameras do YOU know named Pomegranate?
:D

12 Erin April 6, 2010 at 2:50 pm

your cake looks amazing!
Also, I think you should name your camera Daisy for the D in D5000

13 Leslie April 6, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I love everything about this dessert! And I love your pan!!!

14 Amy (Sing For Your Supper) April 6, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Lookin’ good! Yay for a new camera!! :-)

15 cindy harris April 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Love your pan, the strawberries and you will love the camera, I do!

16 Katrina April 6, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Great photos. And I LOVE your bundt pan. Great idea to also make it more moist with strawberries and whipped cream!

17 Amanda April 6, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Wow that’s an amazing bundt mold!!

Camera name: SEXY

18 Tracey April 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Oh, I’m so not creative so I’m not much help on the name for your fabulous new camera but I love the pics!! They look great :)

What a pretty bundt pan! I wish I had room to store more pans here so I could buy lots of different shapes.

19 Maria April 6, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Pretty cake!

20 Romaine April 7, 2010 at 5:54 am

Gorgeous heart bundt pan! I would make more bundt cakes if I had one of those. I suggest naming your camera “Trouble” as I suspect you will be spending way too much time taking pictures now. :-)

21 Kayte April 7, 2010 at 8:11 am

Absolutely gorgeous. There is just something about strawberries and whipped cream that do it for me every single time.

22 Jessica April 7, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Oh, your pictures are sooooo pretty! I love the strawberries that you served the cake with. I bet that this was so tasty! Your pan is gorgeous, too.

I tend to name things “cutsie” alliterative names (I name my dog’s chew toys, so it’s Franny the Flamingo, etc) so I’m not that creative. I’d probably name end up naming it a “c” name because I’m a dork. :) My boyfriend got me a D5000 for Christmas and I’m so excited about it but I have yet to really “make friends” with it (maybe it needs a name, too?) and I tend to revert to my point and shoot. I want to take a photography class at some point to get over my fear of the camera. Your pictures are so, so, so pretty!

23 Valen April 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Lovely blog! The cake looks great!

24 lynne317 April 8, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Strawberries with a coconut tea cake-Yum! What a cool pan you have, too. Congrats on the new camera-fun!

25 Mary April 8, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Wow–it’s all great and I don’t know where to start! The cake looks great, and that pan is fabulous. I found this cake really moist, so I’m not sure what happened there. And the camera–jealous! I think you should call it Coco, since the coconut cake was your first post with it.

26 sugar plum fairy April 9, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I call my camera ”my shooting star”…he he he
u have beautiful pics here …love them all…..

Hullo Happy Sunshine pal, its GOrgeously spring ,blue skies and summer hues, we are so happy and with this happiness lets JOin the Party ,for dear CHaya ‘s BIRTHDAY.[10th april]..yeah its a suprise party for her….and she’s ur pal too….
and all u need to do is hop at the link below and leave her a birthday message and link any or all of ur deliciousness u wanna bring to the party…..looking foward to u ….at the party and CHaya …is going to love having u over …….
ANd if possible please send this message atleast to 5 of ur bloggin buddys , we so wanna make her day dont we….

come to the party ….ur presence n love will make the difference…..

to bring the joy of the gorgeously stunning Springtime right here

27 vibi April 11, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Pretty darn good looking for a dry cake! LOL

Seriously, I’m totaly in looooove with that heart pan! WOW!