Sweet Melissa Sundays – Pecan Shortbread Cookies

by Jessica on April 4, 2010

Pecan Shortbread Cookies

Happy Easter to my lovely readers! Isn’t it such a gorgeous and perfect day? This week’s SMS comes from Lara of The Lab. She chose Melissa’s Pecan Shortbread Cookies, which are normally rolled in powdered sugar and referred to as Mexican Wedding Cookies. This seems pretty appropriate for the weekend since we’re celebrating my little sister’s engagement. 🙂

Pecan Shortbread Cookies

The cookies were really easy to put together, but I was a bit disappointed in the way they came out of the oven. They had a wonderful flavor, but just a few turned out well enough to photograph… let alone serve to people! The taste definitely saved them; however, it’s probably not a recipe that will make it into my regular rotation. Hopefully, the next one will! 😉 Don’t forget to check out the other SMS bakers to see their cookies, too! And enjoy this beautiful day!!

Pecan Shortbread Cookies (pg. 84)
Source: The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy

Pecan Shortbread Cookies

1 katie April 4, 2010 at 5:13 am

A tonne of my cookies melted in the oven and formed patties rather than balls so I know what you mean!

Congrats to your wee sister 😀

Katie xox

2 Candy April 4, 2010 at 9:47 am

Sorry you didn’t have better results. I wasn’t impressed with this recipe either. Your cookies look great!

3 Michelle April 4, 2010 at 10:01 am

I like the way you can see the nuts in your cookies, they look good. Sorry it wasn’t a favorite of yours. The recipe was super simple, so that was a treat for me!

4 Tracey April 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Congrats to your sister – how exciting! I don’t like pecans so these really weren’t a favorite here either, but I always enjoy baking regardless of whether I can enjoy the results 🙂 Sorry these weren’t a favorite for you, but like you said, there’s always next week!

5 Julie April 4, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Mine didn’t stay in a ball shape but were delicious!

Congratulations to your sister! A fun celebration I am sure!

6 Tessa April 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Congratulations to your sister! I’m in agreement. These were fun to try, but probably are not going into the “save” file.

7 Susan April 4, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Congrats to your sister on her engagement! Your cookies look yummy, with all those nuts peeking out. 🙂

8 Leslie April 4, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I love how yours look! I had problems with crumbly dough and had to resort to the Dorie ziploc bag trick in order to get the dough to stick together. How fun that your sister is getting engaged!

9 loneilteaches April 4, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Growing up my grandmother made a version of these called Russian Tea Cookies. She used almost ground pecans – not to a flour but chopped pretty small. They were always a treat for us at Christmas. These are by no way in my mind a traditional shortbread, but they are good. Im glad you were able to use them for the engagement party! Thanks for the prayers, we need them especially going further.

10 Margot April 5, 2010 at 12:37 am

Your cookies look great! Congrats to your sister, I hope your family had a nice Easter!

11 Nina April 5, 2010 at 1:54 am

Congrats to your sister! They look nice and taste is what matters!

12 Rosy April 6, 2010 at 7:39 am

Congratulations to your little sister!!!

Mine didn’t look nearly as pretty as everyone else’s but they taste great – think I’m going to try them again and figure out what I did wrong… R x

13 Margaret April 6, 2010 at 8:38 am

These look incredibly delicious. Cannot beat a cookie with butter and pecans. YUMMY!

Congrats to lil’ sis.

14 Mara April 6, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I had issues with mine as well, not even photo worthy!! Glad you had a few that turned out. Congrats to your sister!

15 Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books June 26, 2013 at 4:18 pm

These sound delicious! =)
Congratulations to your sister!