Tuesdays With Dorie – Dulce de Leche Duos

by Jessica on March 23, 2010

Dulce de Leche Duos

Love, love, LOVE these!! As soon as I saw the recipe, I was “eh” about it. I just thought it was another cookie recipe, no big deal. But I’m so glad I decided to make them… and I got a new Dulce de Leche recipe out of it, as well! Tia of Buttercream Barbie was gracious enough to post her slow cooker recipe (which follows) on the P&Q – thank you, Tia (it’s amazing!)!!

Slow Cooker Dulce de Leche
Source: Tia of Buttercream Barbie

1 can sweetened condensed milk, unopened
Water

Wash and remove the labels from the can of sweetened condensed milk. Make sure the can is undented and unopened. Stand the can up in the slow cooker and pour water in to fully cover. Cook on low for at least 8-12 hours. Allow to cool fully before opening the can. Store in refrigerator. (If you open the can and find that it’s not golden enough (highly unlikely), scoop out contents into a saucepan and simmer on low until desired color is reached.)

Dulce de Leche Duos

Thanks to Jodie of Beansy Loves Cake for this week’s amazing recipe!

Dulce de Leche Duos (pg. 161)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Dulce de Leche Duos

1 Leslie March 23, 2010 at 12:05 am

These look delicious! My dulce de leche was thinner than this, but I was freaked out by the unopened can method.

2 Katrina March 23, 2010 at 10:21 am

Th unopened can method is how I make my banoffee pie. So good and never had a problem with it exploding or doing anything weird.

3 chocolatechic March 23, 2010 at 11:16 am

Beautiful cookies.

That is exactly how I make my DDL.

4 Judy March 23, 2010 at 11:45 am

We weren’t sure what to expect with these cookies, but we ended up loving them. Yours look great.

5 Jen March 23, 2010 at 11:47 am

I simply love the shade of your dulce de leche….mine came out much lighter. I used the oven-method; I’ll definitely try the slow-cooker method the next time. Your cookies look delightful!

6 mikejdunlap March 23, 2010 at 11:54 am

These WERE deceiving little cookies – so good, yet so plain looking. Yours look great – and I too used the crockpot version – what a timesaver! Glad they ended up being a favorite of yours!

7 Rach March 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm

They look so delicious!!

8 CB March 23, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I did the crockpot DDL version too! So much easier than boiling on the stove. I tried that method before and about gave myself an anxiety attack about the potential for exploding caramelized milk! HA HA! So glad you enjoyed the cookies.
-CB

9 Katrina March 23, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I love how thick your cookies look. I’ll have to try the crock pot method sometime. I did boil a can of cond. milk once a few years ago. It worked great, but I had to make sure I was nearby to keep checking it for 4 hours.

10 Teanna March 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I loved these too! Your cookies look so beautiful!!!

11 Jacque March 23, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Mmmm, your dulce de leche looks wonderful, as do the cookies. Isn’t it nice to be pleasantly surprised by a recipe?

12 Tracey March 23, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I used the crockpot method too – wasn’t it awesome! That said, the duos weren’t my favorite. I loved the cookies on their own, but sandwiched with the dulce, they were too sweet. Your cookies look fabulous and I’m glad you enjoyed them so much!

13 Susan March 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Great looking cookies! Love the close-up picture.

14 Margot March 24, 2010 at 12:35 am

I loved these too! And who knew how easy it was to make DDL? A great recipe.

15 nickki March 24, 2010 at 6:31 am

I love the pics of your cookies! I made the DDL on top of the stove, but next time I’m going to try the slow cooker method.

16 Amanda March 24, 2010 at 7:09 am

I bet they were amazing! I had to do a rewind this week, didn’t have the ingredients. Still want to make them though!

17 tia @ buttercreambarbie March 24, 2010 at 1:51 pm

they were a hit with us too!!! nice job ­čÖé i like the rugged texture you got with yours.

18 Marthe March 24, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Pretty cookies!!! I liked them, but found them a bit on the sweet side.

19 margaret March 25, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I’ve been boiling the cans on the stove for years to make dulce. Now I can do them safely.

Cookies look good and they were delicious.

20 Kayte April 7, 2010 at 8:16 am

These are just wonderful…they look so perfect. We loved them! I had to make the dulce twice…I made it David Lebovitz’ way in a pie plate in the oven for a little over an hour, very easy and tasty…good thing it was easy as the teen boys here ate it will it was cooling b/c they thought it was butterscotch pudding and I didn’t realize they were eating it until they had almost finished it. Nail it down, hide it, or put a large note on it, always my policy as this is what happens when I forget! Your cookies look just great.