Sweet Melissa Sundays – Strawberry Lemonade

by Jessica on February 21, 2010

Thank goodness for the ‘schedule’ button! As this publishes, I’m in the car headed back to good ‘ol Texas… and straight towards my 28th birthday (which is tomorrow!). In fact, when I was asked to pick this Sunday’s recipe, I immediately knew I was choosing the Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese frosting. I mean, perfect, right?? Unfortunately, I was a little late in responding and someone else chose it ahead of me. No bother, though… there’s no way I could’ve served a slice of cake in my birthday wine glass anyway! 😀 So, instead, I chose Melissa’s Strawberry Lemonade, a take on the one she used to enjoy at Huckleberry’s Restaurant. Sweet, tart and a perfect choice to fill that special glass!!

Strawberry Lemonade

Strawberry Lemonade (pg. 85)
Source: The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy

3/4 c sugar
1 c very hot water
1 c fresh lemon juice
4-1/2 c cold water
1 recipe Fresh Strawberry Sauce (pg. 210)
Confectioners’ Sugar, for the glasses
Fresh strawberries for garnish

In a pitcher, combine the sugar and hot water and stir until the sugar has dissolved into a syrup. Stir in the lemon juice and cold water. Add the strawberry sauce and stir to combine. Pour over ice into tall glasses rimmed with confectioners’ sugar. Garnish with fresh strawberries, if using. Strawberry lemonade keeps at least 3 days in the refrigerator.

Fresh Strawberry Sauce (pg. 210)
1 dry pint fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp cold water

In a food processor or blender, puree the berries, sugar, lemon juice and water until smooth. Strain the berry mixture into a clean bowl and discard the seeds. Stir in additional sugar, if needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Strawberry Lemonade 2

And now, after less than 24 hours of rest (and laundry), I’m off to San Diego to celebrate #28 and C’s #25!! 😀 See y’all in a week!!

1 Nina February 21, 2010 at 2:24 am

Happy early Birthday and thanks for hosting! Looks like the best thing to fill a birthday glass.

2 chayacomfycook February 21, 2010 at 3:54 am

Happy Birthday. This is my first time with SMS and I had to laugh that my first recipe in a baking group was this delicious drink. Unfortunately, I had to use frozen strawberries but, all the same it was delicious.

3 chayacomfycook February 21, 2010 at 3:56 am

Oops. My blog is Sweet and Savory. http://sweetsav.blogspot.com

I can’t seem to change to it from here.

4 Michelle February 21, 2010 at 9:13 am

I hope you have a wonderful birthday. YOur lemonade looks tasty and refreshing. Thanks for hosting this week. So sorry I couldn’t drink along with ya;) It has been crazy busy at my house lately.

5 Stephanie February 21, 2010 at 10:31 am

Yum yum! Thanks for hosting and picking this delicious drink. It was great! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! WOO!!!!!!

6 Leslie February 21, 2010 at 10:41 am

Happy birthday! Thanks for a fun and delicious pick!

7 Hanaa February 21, 2010 at 10:46 am

Happy birthday! I can’t wait to make the strawberry lemonade in a little bit. It looks delicious.

8 Susan February 21, 2010 at 11:31 am

Happy early Birthday!!! Love the darling glass you served your lemonade in. It looks yummy. Sorry I didn’t bake, umm, make with you this week. 🙂

9 Tracey February 21, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Happy Birthday Jessica!! Thanks for selecting the lemonade this week. It was a wonderful reminder for me that summer will be here soon – I really enjoyed it! Love your birthday glass 🙂

10 Julie February 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Happy Birthday! Thanks for a wonderful reminder of summer!

11 Candy February 21, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for hosting this week and Happy Birthday! I love the bright red color of your lemonade – looks delicious!

12 Margot February 22, 2010 at 1:13 am

Happy birthday! Fun selection, I was curious when this recipe would be chosen, since I think it’s the only beverage in the whole book. Yours looks terrific in that fun birthday glass.

13 karen February 22, 2010 at 10:04 am

Happy Birthday! That is such a cute glass. Sorry, I didnt make this with your this week.

14 Eliana February 24, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Wasn’t this an awesome recipe! I love how bright red your juice came out. And Happy Belated Birthday to you 🙂

15 Katrina February 25, 2010 at 11:59 am

I’m so ready for spring so I can sit on my balcony in the late afternoon sun with a light breeze rustling my hair as I sip this yummy lemonade. For now I’ll just look out the balcony door, in the thickest wooly socks I can find while I drink this. Thanks for this lovely drink!