Tuesdays With Dorie – Cocoa-Yogurt Bread

by Jessica on January 26, 2010

Cocoa Bread

You know I’m a huge chocolate fan, but not when it’s mixed with banana. I’ve never really liked bananas, so I was wary when I read this week’s recipe. I subbed a carton of Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt in Vanilla and added another 1/4 cup of buttermilk to make up for the wet ingredients. I also baked it for an additional 10 minutes, turning out a beautiful loaf studded with huge chocolate chunks! The subs were great and the bread was delicious – a perfect treat for Sunday morning breakfast! :)

Cocoa Bread

Steph of Obsessed with Baking is this week’s host – click on her blog for the recipe and don’t forget to check out the other TWD bakers, too!

Cocoa-Yogurt Bread (pg. 46)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1 Kayte January 26, 2010 at 7:26 am

Looks like that combination worked just fine. Guys here would be on that in a second. Figured you would love this chocolatey week, and the next, and the next, and the next…LOL! Your photos were fun…always some little different angle that is pleasing.

2 Jessica January 26, 2010 at 8:55 am

I feel the same way that you do about bananas. I made this with the bananas and didn’t take a bite. I kind of wish I’d made it with your substitutions because it sounds like you got a very nice and tasty loaf. Maybe next time?

3 Amy (Sing For Your Supper) January 26, 2010 at 11:19 am

Mmm, I LOVE Oikos yogurt!! You definitely should try it with the banana – it’s barely there! Looks (and sounds) good though!

4 pamela January 26, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Holy Cow! This looks simply stunning! I love the deep, dark, richness of it. Nice to know that the yogurt works, too.

5 Christina January 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm

What a great idea of subbing yogurt for bananas. I wish I would have thought to at least add a little moisture to mine when I knew I didn’t have enough bananas. You’re loaf looks fantastic!

6 Lauryn January 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Wow, your bread looks AMAZING! I love your photos! Great job with the subs! I happen to love bananas, and I really loved how this bread came out!

7 Michelle January 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Oh my it looks so beautiful rich and chocolaty! Great bread!

8 Katrina January 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Gorgeous, wonderful, so-smart. I love all things banana, but this just didn’t have enough banana flavor to be worth it. Yogurt is a perfect sub! And your loaf looks more moist and chocolaty!

9 theeclecticconnoisseur January 26, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Maybe I’ll give this recipe another try with the subs you suggested. I followed the recipe to the letter (bananas and all), and it just didn’t do anything for me.

10 Teanna January 26, 2010 at 6:44 pm

WOW Your bread looks out. of. this. world. Seriously! So moist and chocolatey! I would LOVE a piece of that!

11 Susan January 26, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Beautiful! I made it Dorie’s way, and really didn’t care for it. Hubby likes it, but he likes most everything. :)

12 Tracey January 26, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Your bread looks so decadent! Very chocolately. The bananas didn’t end up lending much flavor – just some moistness – so the yogurt was a great sub!

13 Spike January 27, 2010 at 9:34 am

greek yogurt sounds like a good sub- glad you liked it sans banana

14 mikejdunlap January 27, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Hm… I ALMOST added milk or sour cream or buttermilk… seemed like it needed some for the batter. And it was rather crumbly – yours looks GREAT! And the bananas played second fiddle in mine. I love your blog header!!! So cool…

15 Heather B January 27, 2010 at 8:57 pm

great sub with the greek yogurt (though I love bananas!). Your bread looks fabulous!

16 teaandscones January 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Looks deep, dark, and delicious. Great sub. The bananas didn’t really add to this one.

17 Steph February 9, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Thanks for baking along with me! I love the darkness of your loaf.

18 Hameeda July 28, 2010 at 12:02 am

I wish if u may add some red chariess in pices , to yr bread…I like the dark color with up hold beauty……….