Tuesdays With Dorie – Chocolate Oatmeal Almost-Candy Bars

by Jessica on January 19, 2010

Missed the gym last night, but I totally toned my right arm by “stirring” in the oatmeal and cashews into the batter! Geez, it was tough!

After reading this week’s P&Q (an absolute lifesaver – love whoever came up with this idea!), I ended up halving the recipe. I also subbed heavy cream for the condensed milk and it turned out great! These tiny squares are packed with sweetness, but they’re oh-so-good. Definitely refrigerate them before cutting them up… makes it easier and they’re SO yummy chilled!

Photobucket

Lillian of Confectiona’s Realm has this week’s recipe on her blog… and don’t forget to check out the other TWDers here! 🙂

Chocolate Oatmeal Almost-Candy Bars (pgs. 114-115)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1 Romaine January 19, 2010 at 7:19 am

Heavy cream? Why didn’t I think of that? Instead, I made my own sweetened condensed milk because I didn’t have any. But these bars didn’t need more sugar. Yours look wonderful!

2 chocolatechic January 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

I didn’t chill mine….and I don’t know why.

3 Spike January 19, 2010 at 11:12 am

looks good- worth skipping (or extra) trips to the gym!

4 Mary January 19, 2010 at 11:53 am

They look great and cashews sound amazing! I preferred mine at room temperature, so I’m keeping them in the fridge so I don’t eat them all at once!

5 Amy (Sing For Your Supper) January 19, 2010 at 12:24 pm

They look great! I liked them chilled too, but I have to say they were pretty darn good luke-warm as well!!

6 Eliana January 19, 2010 at 1:23 pm

they look absolutely delicious.

7 pamela January 19, 2010 at 2:00 pm

They look terrific and the cream was a good idea in place of the condensed milk. And you should try them straight outta the freezer!

8 Karen January 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I think your workout stirring totally counts. 🙂 Glad you liked these!

9 Susan January 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I will have to remember that heavy cream instead of sweetened condensed milk. I will vouch for you getting your workout in making these. 🙂

10 Katrina January 19, 2010 at 11:37 pm

My KA did the workout for these. Sigh! I suppose it’s a good thing I didn’t eat much of them, can’t risk that! 😉 But these are de-lish. Cashews sound great!

11 Kayte January 20, 2010 at 11:28 am

Those dots in the background make it look like confetti at a party, and with them all stacked up like this, it feels like a party! They look great. The guys, of course, loved them! In fact, I made another batch this morning as a bunch of them are watching Big Ten Basketball over here tonight and I was certain this sort of thing would be much appreciated. Yours look just wonderfully fun.

12 Lynne January 20, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Great idea using the heavy cream! I refrigerated mine overnight and was amazed at the difference in flavor. I may become a chocolate convert after all. Yours look fabulous! Maybe you could make another batch and use your left arm to even out the muscles-Hah!

13 Teanna January 20, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Between cutting them and lifting them, these bars did provide quite a workout! They look gorgeous!

14 Michelle January 21, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Great looking bars. I loved them too and thought they were much better then candy bars!!

15 Margaret January 23, 2010 at 1:03 am

Also used cashews. Completely different flavor. Heavy cream would be good.

love you stack of YUM!

16 uclala January 24, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Thanks for reminding me that I did work out the day I baked these cookies – HAH!
Your cookies look wonderful and I love the blue backdrop – it looks so fun! =) I must be the oddball of the group, I didn’t think these cookies were too sweet at all! Yipes.

17 Tracey January 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Haha agreed – there were a lot of ingredients and it was NOT easy to get them all mixed together. Yours look terrific! These were a bit too rich for me but I’m glad you enjoyed them! I sent the rest to work with my hubs and they were very popular with his coworkers.

18 Honeywell Oil Heater January 31, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I would like to thank you for the endeavors you have made in publishing this article. I am trusting the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your fanciful writing abilities has inspired me to start my own blog now. Genuinely the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

19 Ebonie Moorehead February 6, 2010 at 8:43 am

I really liked reading your post!. Quallity content. With such a valuable blog i believe you deserve to be ranking even higher in the search engines :). Check out the link in my name. That links to a tool that really helped me rank high in google. This way even more people can enjoy your posts and nothing beats a big audiance 😉