Sweet Melissa Sundays – Mom's Banana Apple Bread

by Jessica on August 23, 2009

Banana Apple Bread

What a great recipe to return home to! This week’s SMS was a yummy banana bread with a twist. ‘Mom’s Banana Apple Bread’ is perfect for welcoming Fall… even if it’s not official until next month! Once I started getting things together, I realized that I was out of cloves. Instead of trekking to the store for one spice, I doubled the cinnamon and nutmeg that was called for in both the apples and the dough. So glad I did, too, because the house smelled amazing!

Banana Apple Bread 2

I missed commenting on last week’s TWD, but rest assured that I’ll make it up this week! Many thanks to the sweet, sweet Joy of Hot Oven, Warm Heart. This recipe’s on her blog and don’t forget to check out the other SMS bakers here!

Banana Apple Bread 3

Mom’s Banana Apple Bread (pg. 14-15)
Source: The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy

Photobucket

1 Nina August 23, 2009 at 2:12 am

I had also added more cinnamon and nutmeg to the bread since I didn’t have any cloves, but it was really good. I just want to take a piece from that plate and just eat it!

2 Melissa August 23, 2009 at 2:50 am

Your photos are beautiful! Another winning recipe for sure. What a great cookbook!

3 JoVonn August 23, 2009 at 5:56 am

The spices in this bread were great. I may add more cinnamon next time.

4 snooky doodle August 23, 2009 at 7:26 am

simply delicious! I love fall and these nice spices.
Visit my new blog at http://snookysrecipedoodles.blogspot.com/

5 Tracey August 23, 2009 at 8:47 am

I just finished eating one of my muffins from this week for breakfast! 🙂 Your bread looks terrific! I have to agree on the spices making the house smell amazing. I can’t wait to make this one again in the fall.

6 Angie's Recipes August 23, 2009 at 9:09 am

I love moist dense banana bread, perfect for any occasions.

Angie’s Recipes

7 Katie August 23, 2009 at 11:59 am

Ohhh yum that sounds wonderful.

8 Lauren August 23, 2009 at 12:03 pm

so glad you made the bread! it was a fantastic recipe 🙂

9 Katie August 23, 2009 at 1:09 pm

YUM!! I love quick breads! I’m making a bunch this weekend, actually. I may have to get some apples and try this!

10 Katrina August 23, 2009 at 3:12 pm

That looks and sounds de-lish!

11 Michelle August 23, 2009 at 6:47 pm

This bread was so good I am sooo going to make it again and again! Your pictures capture the true yumminess of this delightful bread. The apples were so good too!

12 karen August 23, 2009 at 8:11 pm

YOur picts are delicious, as well as the recipe. I’m glad you enjoyed this one. I’m definitely repeating this recipe once apple season starts.

13 emily227 August 23, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Looks awesome! I LOVE banana bread, so I will definitely keep this recipe in mind.

14 Sarah August 24, 2009 at 9:11 am

Your bread looks wonderful! It’s making me wish mine wasn’t already gone…

15 Spike August 24, 2009 at 2:25 pm

That bread looks tempting, all stacked up!

16 Robin August 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm

I don’t think the cloves added that much and I would definately add more cinnamon next time. Your bread looks so good piled upm on the plate.

17 Karin August 24, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I love your pictures. I find it hard to get creative with a loaf… it seems like everyone is very excited fall is just around the corner so this was a perfect recipe for this week.

18 hotovenwarmheart August 25, 2009 at 9:44 am

Hi Jessica!

Thank you so much for baking along with me this week! I’m really glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe- I agree, it certainly makes the house smell heavenly! I’m sorry I didn’t have a chance to stop by and comment sooner- I’ve been really under the weather for the past two weeks, so unfortunately I haven’t been on the computer too much… but I’m glad I had the chance to read your lovely post. And MY GOODNESS- your photographs are just gorgeous. I seriously want to eat a slice of your bread right off the screen 🙂 You did a FANTASTIC job!

I also wanted to thank you for the sweet comment on my blog- I must say, you have one lucky Mom to have such a special daughter like you!

I hope you’re doing well… did you have a wonderful time in Santa Fe? I’m so jealous of the antiquing and cooking classes you did on your trip- can’t wait to read about your adventures there! Have a great rest of your week! Hope to hear from you again soon!

<3,
Joy

19 Bill Bartmann September 18, 2009 at 12:49 am

Cool site, love the info. I do a lot of research online on a daily basis and for the most part, people lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks,

A definite great read…:)