Sweet Melissa Sundays – Snickerdoodles

by Jessica on August 9, 2009

Growing up, my dad would never let us have a dog. My little sister, R, and I would beg for one at least once a month. So when R’s boyfriend’s Miniature Dachshund was having puppies, she knew just what to do. Abigail Elizabeth was the runt of the litter and R latched onto her from the moment she was introduced to the world. She had a beautiful face with a cute, short nose and ears that we thought she’d never grow into.

Abbi

After six weeks, R brought Abbi home like it was just a regular day. Dad didn’t notice until five days later (he’s very focused on work and quite non-observant). 😀 By then, Abbi was a part of the family. She quickly started to grow on Dad and became his little sidekick. Wherever he went, she was there. They even shared the same spot on the couch… you could always find her in between the arm and Dad.

When Abbi was a baby, she’d ride shotgun with Momma G and me on our daily Starbucks run. And as soon as we pulled up in the drive-thru, the baristas would give her a shot of whipped cream and she’d share a snickerdoodle with us.

Snickerdoodles

After countless tests, injections and trips to UC Davis Animal Hospital, Abbi had a kidney transplant in December 2007. She was doing beautifully with her new kidney. We were still giving the injections and she was on a strict schedule for food and medicines. But in October 2008, Abbi passed away from pancreatitis… oddly enough, not a symptom or complication from her transplant.

Snickerdoodles 2

So, everytime I hear the word ‘snickerdoodle’ or bite into one of these yummy cookies, I always think of Miss Abbi. Thanks to Spike (one of my faves) from Spike Bakes for this fabulous choice… and for giving me a chance to remember Abbi eating her cookies. Check Spike’s blog for the recipe and click here to see all the other SMS bakers! 🙂

Snickerdoodles (pg. 56-57)
Source: The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy

Abbi 2

1 Tracey August 9, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Your cookies are so thick and gorgeous! Mine were much thinner. Great job!

Thanks for sharing the memories of Abbi. It sounds like she was a terrific dog – I’m sure you miss her lots.

2 erin August 9, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Your Abbi was so adorable. She sounds like the perfect angel 🙂

3 JoVonn August 9, 2009 at 6:35 pm

RIP Abbi. Your cookies look so fluffy!

4 Jessica August 9, 2009 at 8:02 pm

What a sweet post. I’m glad that you could make these cookies and think of Miss Abbi. They look wonderful.

5 Margot August 9, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Those pictures of Abbi are absolutely precious, I’m glad this recipe brought back fond memories of her. Your cookies look so nice and fluffy, yum!

6 nutmegnanny August 9, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Miss Abbi looked adorable. It was such a sweet story, I can only imagine how much you miss her. It always amazes me how much a certain food or scent can spark a memory.

7 pamela August 9, 2009 at 9:45 pm

This is such a lovely post! And what gorgeous photos of sweet Miss Abbi! Thanks for sharing!!

8 Sarah August 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Those photos are so sweet, how wonderful that you have such lovely memories associated with snickerdoodles! Your cookies look great! I really loved these, too.

9 LilSis August 9, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Those are some adorable pictures. We just lost our dog of 13 years a few months ago and I know it’s hard. It’s nice when you can just talk about the good memories.

10 Nina August 10, 2009 at 12:06 am

Wow. That was really sweet of you to share your memories with us. I’m glad that snickerdoodles could bring up some wonderful memories. =]

11 Amy (Sing for your supper) August 10, 2009 at 8:42 am

What a post! So sad…poor Abbi…

Great looking cookies – I wish I liked Snickerdoodles, because these look yummy!

12 Melissa August 10, 2009 at 10:23 am

These are my favorite snickerdoodles! They always come out perfectly.
What a sweet story about your dog. Even though she is gone now, it sounds like she had a wonderful life.

13 Spike August 10, 2009 at 11:53 am

So cute- the cookies and Abbi! Thanks for baking with me

14 hotovenwarmheart August 10, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Awww Jessica, you are absolutely breaking my heart! It’s clear your Abbi had a beautiful spirit and loving heart- I can’t imagine losing such a dear friend and family member, but I know a piece of her will always be with you. I’m so sorry for your loss- thank you for sharing some of your favorite memories and photographs of your gorgeous little girl.

I’m glad these cookies reminded you of your time with Abbi- I’m sure she too was one delicious snickerdoodle 🙂

Hope to talk to you again soon!

-Joy

15 Karin August 11, 2009 at 8:55 am

That’s so sweet (and sad). What a cute little pup she was!

Your cookies look wonderful- much puffier than mine which is more how I remember them.

16 Cecille August 12, 2009 at 3:13 pm

There are days when the Baking gods just don’t smile upon us. Those are my bake and destroy days..

Heartfelt story about Abbi.. Take care!

17 Eliana September 2, 2009 at 11:06 am

I have a long-haired miniature dachshund myself and he is precious. Aren’t they the sweetest dogs ever?