Daring Bakers/July ’09 – Milan Cookies

by Jessica on July 27, 2009

Milan Cookies

The July Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

The DB’ers were given the option to make both Milan Cookies and Mallows, but since this month has been crazy busy, I stuck to making only one. And I chose wisely. In fact, these were so good, that I doubt I’ll ever buy Pepperidge Farm cookies again. These were simple to make, took little time to put together and were really yummy. 😀 My only problem was keeping away from them… I barely had enough left to photograph!!

Milan Cookies 2

Milan Cookies

Source: Gale Gand, from the Food Network website

Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Prep Time: 0 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 0 min
Serves: about 3 dozen cookies

• 12 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 2-1/2 c powdered sugar
  • 7/8 c egg whites (from about 6 eggs)
  • 2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp lemon extract
  • 1-1/2 c all purpose flour
  • Cookie filling, recipe follows

Cookie filling:

• 1/2 c heavy cream
  • 8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 orange, zested

In a mixer with paddle attachment cream the butter and the sugar. Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts. Add the flour and mix until just well mixed. With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.

While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream. Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt chocolate, add zest and blend well. Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools). Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.

Milan Cookies 3

Yummy Milan cookies with a sneak peek of tomorrow’s TWD! 🙂

1 snooky doodle July 27, 2009 at 12:30 am

what a nice recipe! they look so good! Nice choice. I ll be trying these too 🙂

2 Vibi July 27, 2009 at 6:15 am

Mmmm… I’m sure those scrumptious cookies feel right at home in that amazing jadite bowl!

3 isa July 27, 2009 at 8:23 am

Your Milan cookies looks absolutely delicious! They came out very well.
Nicely done!

4 Amy (Sing for your supper) July 27, 2009 at 10:45 am

Ohmigosh, ohmigosh, omigosh!!! WANT!!! You have my address, still, right?? It would be ok with me if you wanted to mail me some of these…. 😉

5 Joelen July 27, 2009 at 12:47 pm

This and your recent recipes all look wonderful! I so want to make these soon! I’ve been on a slight commenting hiatus with my busy schedule lately… but it’s great to catch up and see what’s cooking in your kitchen!

6 Tracey July 27, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Your cookies look phenomenal!! I love Pepperidge Farm milan cookies too and yours seriously look just like the ones you can buy in the store. Great job.

7 nutmegnanny July 27, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Great job on the challenge!!! Your cookies turned out so delicious looking 🙂

8 nanaglenmum July 27, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I LOVE the way you have photographed them! So much nicer than my bikkies on a plate!

9 Tammy July 27, 2009 at 11:57 pm

you are the first person I have seen who liked these. I made the mallows and loved them

10 melissa July 28, 2009 at 9:44 am

these look so good! I love milan cookies. i think i’ll need to give these a try.

11 Jen T. July 28, 2009 at 11:24 am

These look fantastic! I think I’m going to have to try them sometime- but maybe when the weather gets a little cooler!

12 Heather B July 28, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Great job! They turned out perfectly! Mine…eh…not so much!

13 Jill July 29, 2009 at 1:32 am

I love that you paired the Milans with vanilla ice cream! They look delicious!! 🙂

14 Margaret July 29, 2009 at 7:06 pm

those look great. I made them, but didn’t really care much for them. I like them paired with Dorie’s ice cream.

15 Caitlin July 30, 2009 at 4:53 am

How come mine didn’t come out thicker like yours? Mine were definitely thin and crisp little cookies 🙁 But yours look just perfect!

16 vincent August 1, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,