Sweet Melissa Sundays – Bee Stings

by Jessica on May 31, 2009

I was really excited when I saw the name of this week’s SMS recipe. It brought back lots of memories and (mostly) happy feelings. 🙂

Bee Stings

#1 – My first bee sting when I was in kindergarten… while playing baseball in the front of the school, I took a swing at the ball and hit a bee instead. It retaliated and my arm swelled up like Popeye’s.

#2 – Serving as a Lieutenant for the Stingerette Drill Team in high school (Home of the Yellowjackets). I collected quite a lot of bee memorabilia during those four years.

And #3 – The clan that my mom’s family belongs to in the Comanche Nation… the Penetuka (penne-tuh-kuh) or the Honey Eaters.

Bee Stings 2

So, you see, bees are pretty special to Hornedfroggy’s family. I had a lot of fun making these, but I was upset with how my dough turned out. It was very sticky as I formed the rolls and as you can tell, they look nothing like Melissa’s Bee Stings as they’re pictured in the book. I also didn’t have almonds as I started dipping the rolls, so I used chopped pecans and they turned into Southern Bee Stings. 😉

Bee Stings 3

Many thanks to Jaime of Good Eats and Sweet Treats for this week’s amazing pick!! Head over to her awesome blog for the recipe and see the other SMS bakers here!

Bee Stings (pg. 47-49)
Source: The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy

1 Jaime May 31, 2009 at 12:39 pm

thanks for baking along with me this week! just add more flour next time and the dough won’t be so sticky! 🙂 i love the southern variation 😉

2 Tracey May 31, 2009 at 12:50 pm

It sounds like we had similar problems with our dough 🙂 Oh well, live and learn, right? I think your bee stings look terrific with the pecans on top!

3 Raeann May 31, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I enjoyed reading about your first Bee Sting memories. Adding pecans seems like a nice (Southern) twist. Those, with a nice cup of coffee….mmmm!

4 Spike May 31, 2009 at 6:44 pm

sounds like a lot of people ended up with sticky dough-including me. I love the pecans on top, they look amazing

5 Margot May 31, 2009 at 8:09 pm

They look extra-good with all those pecans on top and I love the bee background! It’s always nice when baking brings back memories.

6 lauren June 1, 2009 at 4:55 am

great job! your pictures are fantastic!

7 Amy (Sing for your supper) June 1, 2009 at 9:24 am

You were upset with how these turned out?! I’m tempted to get in my car and drive an hour just to snatch one of these from you!!! They look sooooooo good!! I’m having a Vanilla latte from SB and I was just sitting here thinking I need something to go with it and these look perfect! I’ll take one to go, please! 😉

8 Megan June 1, 2009 at 10:58 am

Cute bee story – and the pecans were a great addition. I would gladly take one of those!

9 Jen T. June 4, 2009 at 10:34 am

What a cute bee background! Your “southern” bee stings look so good, and I loved the stories about bees. Nice work!

10 Lynne June 7, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Lovely breads! I’ll have to buy the cookbook to add to my collection.

11 Mermaid Sweets June 9, 2009 at 11:05 am

Love the background on the photos, your buns look great. Seems like it was a tricky recipe.