Tuesdays With Dorie – 15 Minute Magic: Chocolate Amaretti Torte

by Jessica on April 14, 2009

Yummy Chocolate Amaretti Torte

Imagine my surprise when I walked into Starbucks the other day and spotted a box of Amaretti cookies on the shelf. Hallelujah!! This meant no trips to Dallas or hours of searching random aisles. Unfortunately, when I opened the box, there were only 6 cookies inside and the weight on the box was less than half of what Dorie specified for the torte. Boo. So… on Friday, I headed down to World Market and picked up a bag of Amaretto d’Italia cookies by Vicenzi. Not exactly what I wanted, but they were good and they worked for what was needed! I also didn’t have to look too hard to find them. ;)

Amaretti cookies

And once the torte was done… WOW-EEE!! Talk about sweet! I was in a chocoholic shock after one piece! The bittersweet chocolate paired beautifully with the Amaretti cookies… and it literally took 15 minutes from the prep to the oven! This is the perfect dessert for unexpected company, too. Quick, easy and fancy looking (if you can find the right cookies)!! :) By the way, do not skip the Almond Whipped Cream… OMG, it’s good!

Chocolate Amaretti Bite

Chosen by Holly of Phe/MOM/enon, I present Dorie’s Chocolate Amaretti Torte…

Chocolate Amaretti Torte

15 Minute Magic: Chocolate Amaretti Torte (pgs. 276-277)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1 Amy April 14, 2009 at 8:37 am

Hard to believe something this delicious can come together so quickly, isn’t it? The Cuisinart got a good workout….

2 Joelen April 14, 2009 at 8:59 am

Looks delicious and perfect!

3 isabelle April 14, 2009 at 9:25 am

c’est superbe, en plus tu as trouvé les amaretti que Dorie conseillait..moi, j’ai utilisé une autre marque et suis certaine que ça fait toute la différence !

4 Amy (Sing for your supper) April 14, 2009 at 11:07 am

Really pretty! Too bad I can’t stand Amaretti/almond flavored stuff, or else I would’ve been all over this cake! Great looking pictures!

5 Tami April 14, 2009 at 11:25 am

I can’t wait to finish packing and moving so that I can make this! My mouth is watering looking at everyone’s pictures! Your dessert turned out beautiful!

6 Kelsey April 14, 2009 at 11:32 am

This looks delicious! I love desserts that make people think you slaved all day when you really got it together quickly. Thanks for the wonderful post!

7 Teanna April 14, 2009 at 12:18 pm

The almond whipped cream is AMAZING! I totally agree with you! Your torte looks absolutely gorgeous!

8 chocolatechic April 14, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Chocolate shock sounds like perfection to me.

9 Jules April 14, 2009 at 2:59 pm

This is just lovely! I found my cookies at Cost Plus as well.

10 Kayte April 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Oh, that looks so cute with all those little cookies on top and the cream….see, this way, I could carefully pick off a cookie and eat it! I’m thinking you are definitely a winner this week for that alone…which is not to say your torte doesn’t look absolutely beautiful, because it does! Great job.

11 Jill April 14, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I love the photo of the whole torte with the cookies on top. I’ve only used the Smart Balance sticks a couple of times, but so far I’ve been happy with them. I wouldn’t use them for something like a butter cookie or shortbread, but for less butter-centered recipes, they’re good. Give them a try!

12 Tracey April 15, 2009 at 12:39 am

Your pictures are so amazing! Your torte is wonderfully decorated too. I agree – this is a VERY rich recipe.

13 teaandscones April 15, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Great pics of a beautiful torte. Moist!! Fudgey!! Yummy!

14 Kelly-Jane July 17, 2009 at 10:24 am

I’m just about to bake this one, and looked for it on google. Yours looks stunning!