Pomegranate Chocolate Cupcakes… courtesy of POM Wonderful

by Jessica on February 6, 2009

POM Wonderful

I had a lovely little email in my inbox last week, offering me samples of POM Wonderful’s 100% Pomegranate Juice. I graciously accepted the generous offer and found a case (a whole case!) of cute little 8 oz. bottles sitting on my porch just a few days later. Luckily, I had two or three bottles left over from my tasting 😉 so I decided to try out one of the recipes POM had forwarded to me. Below are some of the tastiest cupcakes I’ve ever made…

POM Cupcakes

POM Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
Adapted from: POM Wonderful

1 c POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
3 c all-purpose flour
2 c granulated sugar
1 c unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c water, heated to boiling
1 c vegetable oil
2 tbsp vinegar (not wine vinegar)
1 tbsp vanilla

Pomegranate Chocolate Frosting:
1 c POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
6 tbsp butter
1 6-oz. package chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
2 c powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp whole milk

Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350F with rack in the center. Place a paper baking cup in each of 24 regular sized muffin cups. Whisk together the dry ingredients to combine well. In a large measuring cup, combine pomegranate juice and boiling water. Add oil, vinegar and vanilla to the pomegranate juice mixture. Add to the flour mixture all at once and whisk to combine (batter will be lumpy). Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups (about half full). Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and free of crumbs. Let cool. Frost with pomegranate chocolate frosting

POM Cupcakes 2

Pomegranate Chocolate Frosting:
In a saucepan, bring pomegranate juice and butter to a boil. Remove from heat; blend in chocolate chips. Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat until frosting is of spreading consistency. If frosting is too stiff, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk to thin.

POM Cupcakes 3

Many thanks to Diana (the POM Blogger) and the lovely people at POM Wonderful!

1 Kelsey February 6, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Wow! These look so amazing. I will absolutely have to make these very soon!

2 Amy (Sing for your supper) February 6, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Here’s another tasty POM recipe – add a few teaspoons to a glass of champagne and sweeten with a little simple syrup – we have it every Valentine’s day! Love the pictures!! 🙂 Definitely Tastespotting-worthy!

3 BMK February 6, 2009 at 8:00 pm

These look awesome! I love pomegranates.

4 teaandscones February 6, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Those do look wonderful. Love the pink platter.

5 Kayte February 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I love POM…I think I can do a vanilla version of these! LOL. Yours do look very festive and lovely…that plate is gorgeous and just the thing to show them off! Very impressive!

6 Teanna February 11, 2009 at 10:24 am

I love pomegranate. I love chocolate. I love cupcakes. I need to make these!

7 Jennyfer February 11, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I love seeing all of these POM recipes showing up! This is awesome!

8 Heather Peskin February 14, 2009 at 11:40 am

These are beautiful. I just love pomegranite juice.

9 ashley July 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I know this is an old post, but I had to comment since I just tried this recipe. The cake turned out, but the frosting did not.. Not sure if maybe there was a typo, but the liquid to sugar ratio in the frosting was way off. After I added about 5X the sugar and probably a cup of cocoa powder, it did turn out pretty tasty. P.S. this is def a cupcake recipe, the texture does not hold well in cake form! But still yummy!

10 Jessica July 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Thank you for your feedback, Ashley! The frosting worked for me the last time I made these, but I’ll try them again to see if I made a typo. Happy to see you visiting MBH! 🙂